Only in Canada

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Only in Canada

Postby Pondero » November 6th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:Although no UK laws have apparently been broken, the Paradise papers are quite shocking. I hope The Queen, whom I think does a good job in her role as Monarch, was not aware of how her financiers invested her money.

I would agree with you about the Queen, she would be unaware of it.As we all know the Queen doesn't pay taxes, so why are people implying that she seeks tax evasion. As for her money laundering, that would be ridiculous.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » November 6th, 2017, 1:05 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong here. Very wealthy people, pay an enormous amount of tax so I don't blame them for avoiding having to pay even more. The Queen does pay tax, income and capital gains http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/06/does-the- ... r-7056752/.

Rich people employ good accountants to find them the best deal. Most of us would do the same (Pondero would do his own). Nothing mean about it, it's sensible, the government would already be getting enough out of us and we'd have more money to give where we choose.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » November 6th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I think one should pay taxes in the country in which one is living, off shore accounts might not be illegal but I don't think they are moral.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » November 6th, 2017, 1:58 pm

They will all pay taxes in this country though, a lot. Some will have another home overseas and also pay tax there. They will invest in their home countries too and most of the extremely wealthy are quite philanthropic. Nothing wrong in apportioning some funds safely overseas - might not always be safe actually.

The media make too much of this sort of private finances, it comes up time and time again and then dies down 'til the next disclosure. If I remember rightly we had same discussion maybe a couple of years back, different name. All over the news for five minutes, people's private finances being exposed.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 6th, 2017, 5:19 pm

The governor general of Canada will start paying income taxes next year, I read. I didn't know the Queen and Prince Charles voluntarily pay taxes, starting around 1991.
Good for them.
There are companies owned by Canadians ,operating in Canada and registered elsewhere, that pay no tax at all, and that is very unfair. They earn their money here, live here and pay no income taxes.They are supposed to pay taxes in the country in which the company is registered, Such taxes are extremely low.Such countries operate as tax haven's for the very rich who live here.

I think the more the press finds out what trust companies are registered in the world's tax haven's ,and the more we know about it , the better off we will be. We can then change laws to make it fairer to all Canadians.
There are over 3000 Canadian names in the Paradise Papers.The media thinks many of them are doing illegal things.i heard of one woman who was receiving income from an offshore trust which were interest payments, and having the exact amount of the interest payment documented as a gift.Gifts in Canada are non-taxable by the recipient.
A few years ago ,all political parties in Canada were going to eliminate tax loopholes.The law got as far as the Senate, where it got bogged down in lengthy debate until the 2008;election was called. It was then abandoned and nothing further was said.
The senators complained of due hardship on those with money overseas .Nothing could be further from the truth according to the people on CBC TV this morning.
EDIT.
I have been away from the CRA now for 13 years and I am off to the library after lunch to update myself on tax.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 6th, 2017, 7:46 pm

The Richview Library is closed for some repair work on the second floor, so I was directed to the Eatonville branch about 6kms away on Burnamthorpe Road.I couldn't find a single book on income tax or accounting there :)
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 9th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Alain Rayes MP for Richmond - Athabaska, Quebec, is speaking now of the dangers of cannabis use during the discussion of the Cannabis Act. It is just after Question Period, and the members of Parliament disappeared quickly into a cafeteria or bar leaving barely a dozen to discuss this very important bill.The Liberal answer to criticism by the Opposition is to say young people are using it now, so we must do something and the opposition is trying to stop a bill that will do something positive.
Nothing could be further from the truth as the Opposition is quoting from officials in Colorado who say motor accidents have increased since legalisation. Also, Mr. Rayes said that young people of 18 who take cannabis are damaging their brains.The danger period of damaging growing brains extends to the age of 25. (This is separate from the intrinsic dangers of taking cannabis after that age.) . And so on, the experts warn of the dangers and the government pushes this bill fast without reason.
Why? Could money for the growers be the main reason and are such entrepreneurs, who don't give a damn about the people they are hurting be friends of the government?

Note: Alain Rayes is concerned especially because he has young children.

EDIT.
One Conservative MP.now speaking says the government is irresponsible ...and pushing the bill on Cannabis only because the pot smoking Prime Minister *wants to keep his election promise. ( Come Hell or high water.)
I believe that is the real reason for the speed with which it is proceeding through the Commons, because Trudeau is afraid if more time is given then the people will find out how dangerous this bill is, and he is stubborn enough not to admit he was wrong when he made legalisation of cannabis an election promise - and doesn't have the guts to cancel it.
One MP from Quebec (an NDP member) said the toxicity of marijuana smoke inhaled in the lungs is ten times that inhaled by one cigarette, and ten times as dangerous.
Under proposed legislation each home will be allowed to grow four plants ( of unknown strength, but capable of producing 600 grams of cannabis. More than one MP said this and some mentioned the number of joints that would be, 10 or 15 or more joints I can't remember.)
* A quote from the House of Commons.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Val » November 10th, 2017, 12:32 pm

¡ʇi ǝsilɐƃǝl ou ʎɥʍ oS

oʍʇ ǝsǝɥʇ ʇsnɾ ǝɯɐu oʇ ʎsdǝlidƎ puɐ ǝsɐǝsip suosuiʞɹɐi ǝʞil sǝsɐǝsip pǝʇɐlǝɹ ɟo ʎʇǝiɹɐʌ ɐ ui sɯoʇdɯʎs ǝɔnpǝɹ ǝsǝɥʇ sǝɔuɐʇsui ʎuɐɯ uI ˙ɐuɐnɾiɹɐɯ ui spunodɯoɔ ǝʌiʇɔɐ ǝɹɐ spiouiqɐuuɐƆ ˙sǝiʇɹǝdoɹd ʎɹoʇɐɯɯɐlɟui-iʇuɐ ǝʌɐɥ spiouiqɐuuɐƆ ʇɐɥʇ punoɟ sɹǝɥɔɹɐǝsǝɹ '0Ɩ02ᄅ ui pǝɥsilqnd ʎpnʇs ɐ uI

ɯʇɐ puɐlǝɹI ui pǝuuɐq si ɥɔiɥʍ siqɐuuɐɔ lɐɔipǝɯ ɟo sʇiɟǝuǝq ǝɥʇ uo ǝʇɐqǝp ɐ ƃuiʌɐɥ ǝɹɐ ǝM

ǝɯoɥ ʇɐ ʇi ʎɹʇ ɯǝɥʇ ʇǝl ʇi ɟo ʇno ʎɹǝʇsʎɯ ɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʇou op loɥoɔlɐ ɥʇiʍ ƃuiɥʇ ǝɯɐs 'sʇuǝɹɐd ɹiǝɥʇ ʎq uoiʇɐɔnpǝ ɹǝdoɹd ɐ uǝʌiƃ ǝɹǝʍ ʎǝɥʇ ǝsnɐɔǝq ʇɐɥʇ ʇɐ ʇi ǝʌɐǝl puɐ ǝƃɐsn ɹǝʌo ɟo ɹǝƃuɐp ǝɥʇ ǝsilɐǝɹ ʇnq siqɐuuɐɔ ɥʇiʍ ʇuǝɯiɹǝdxǝ ǝƃǝlloɔ ui ǝldoǝd ƃunoʎ ʎuɐɯ 'punoɹƃɹǝpun ʇi sǝʌiɹp ʇsnɾ ʇi sƃuiɥʇ ɹǝɥʇo ʎuɐɯ ǝʞil 'ǝnssi ǝɥʇ dlǝɥ ʇou lliʍ siqɐuuɐɔ ƃuiuuɐq 'ǝilsǝ˥ iH
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » November 10th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Your post was read upside down Val, with some difficulty as this tablet turns things up. Anyway, medical marijuana is not being discussed here in the Commons as it is already legal.I would say some who take it now are cheating the system and use it for recreational not medical purposes.

I don't mind cannabis use being driven underground as it means much less will be consumed. Stricter enforcement of existing laws is the only answer.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 15th, 2017, 6:27 pm

In the province of Alberta the Notley NDP government thinks parents should not be informed if their child joins a gay rights group in school. Also, members of that government think that the government has more rights over the child than the parents. And, that it is wrong to teach Catholic values in Catholic schools. This thinking has long been suspected of the Alberta government - but now they come right out and say it
Going back two thousand years and explained in Rerum Novarum of Pope Leo X111, the parents have the right to educate their children not the state. This is fundamental for Catholics (who know Catholic teaching). Solzenitzin, Dostoievsky , and similar writers could set the government straight.
We live in a modern age where the values of two thousand years are discarded leaving those who still believe in them as second class citizens or outcasts.
Our priest at a church I attend during the week, said that politicians all want your vote but once elected don't care and do the opposite of what you wanted them to do. How true, we all know that, but it is most unusual for a priest to say that from the pulpit. I fear we are entering the age lived in by people of former Iron curtain countries.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to In depth