Only in Canada

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Only in Canada

Postby Pondero » November 21st, 2017, 11:18 am

Sometimes I think our federal government is crazy.Health Canada is calling for a big tax on cigarettes to discourage smoking.Yet at the same time saying nothing about recreational cannabis which will be legal next July.
50,000 Haitians and other nationalities of people, such as El Salvadorians are about to lose their status in America and fear deportation from there to back home, where there are no jobs or homes for them.
I think Trump should let them continue to live in the states , but he has decided otherwise.
That means more of these people will cross the border illegally into Canada . We will have to accept them as I doubt we will be able to locate them once they disappear into our society. What a strange world we live in. I believe we are more kind hearted than Americans and although illegals will have a hard time here at first, they will eventually be forgiven by the government for entering illegally.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 1st, 2017, 2:34 pm

Blake Richards was removed from the House of Commons yesterday for verbally insulting the Minister of Finance He is the Conservative member for Banff, Alberta.
On a totally unrelated matter he did make a report on the ISIS returnees. With which I agree.

. Richards Report – November 27, 2017 – No Compassion for Victims of ISIS
No Compassion for Victims of ISIS

Imagine this scenario: a Canadian voluntarily flies overseas to join ISIS, actively engaging in combat against our soldiers and allies. The ISIS fighter comes back to Canada and the top priority of this Liberal government is to “reintegrate” the individual. This is what the Liberal government is making a priority. This plan is a serious slap in the face to our men and women in uniform and to our allies.

These are people who willingly got on a plane to join ISIS. These are people who enslaved and trafficked girls and women. These are people who have left Canada to take up arms against our country and our allies, fighting against what we believe in and engaging in acts of terror overseas. Our first priority when these individuals are found should be to prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and ensure that they do not cause any harm to our country. But it would appear that the Trudeau government has a different idea.

In Parliament this week, Prime Minister Trudeau confirmed that his government will “help them (Canadians who have joined ISIS) let go of that terrorist ideology”. That is not the response that Canadians expect from their Prime Minister. Can we trust this Prime Minister and his government with protecting Canadians if his first response to returning ISIS fighters is that they will receive reintegration services?

What exactly does the government mean when it says that it will reintegrate these people into our society? Once again, the Prime Minister was vague and did not provide any details on what a “reintegrating ISIS” program would look like. The answer Canadians expected would have been that the government will punish and prosecute each and every single individual through all possible channels. The Liberal government has once again showed that victims are an afterthought. Instead of looking for ways of how we can help the many victims of ISIS, the Trudeau government talks about how we can help ISIS fighters rejoin society.

Just one more reason for replacing our Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who is absolutely hopeless!
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 2nd, 2017, 1:48 pm

Greetings from lu lu land of the great and soon to be frozen north - I mean Canada , of course the land of idiocy led by our gallant leader ( when he is home ..he is galavating off to China at the moment) leaving us with the problems he cannot address!
Yes, Trudeau should take responsibility for many things, especially Phoenix, the payroll system for public service employees that doesn't work.It overpays, sometimes pays employees correctly. And sometimes does not pay anything at all, to our 300,000 public servants.
Phoenix will take 600 million to fix they say.
A retired computer systems consultant of many years experience suggests the figure $600,000,000 is ridiculous .Another person suggests going manual and hiring a few thousand temporary clerks to handwrite cheques to our civil servants. They couldn't do a worse job or be more expensive than Phoenix (writes Fergus Gamble in the National Post today.)

EDIT.
It is not beyond the ingenuity of our CS group in the AFS public service to devise a program of their own.So what is holding them back.
Many, many years ago when I was taking course at night at York U ( north of Toronto) in Advanced Cobol, and getting home at 2 am and going to work the following morning as an auditor, I devised a long program in basic for Air Transportation tax .I sent it in to the government CS group. Where they wrote back and ignored it. Little do they know that with a Sharp programmable calculator of mine used in America I computed the assessment for an airline of hundreds of thousands of dollars quicker than the tax department of the airline did it with their modern computers. I never finished the computer courses as I had to use VAX machines late into the night at the university and my health couldn't stand getting home at 2 am every morning for long. I never did join the CS group.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 3rd, 2017, 11:15 am

A few Canadian University students were with my grandson in the Dallas /Fort Worth area this weekend I learned last night .They attended a reception with company vice-presidents of a large construction company whose HQ is in Spain.It was a suit, shirt and tie and shoes affair - no blue jeans.,maybe the execs wanted to see if the job applicants had good table manners?
Job offers if any usually come in January and February for engineering students who graduate in Spring.
He seemed very confident and happy last night at my wife's birthday dinner at his mother's home.

The company is in Barcelona, Bilbo and Badajoz,has 96,000 employees and is in 15 countries,I found out today.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 15th, 2017, 8:56 pm

According to an Angus Reid survey result just released on television, Justin Trudeau's approval rating is below 50%. Hurrah for that. However, it is unfortunately higher than Mr.Scheer's, leader of the Opposition Conservatives .But, then Mr, Scheer is a very new leader.Hopefully, his approval rating will improve.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 18th, 2017, 12:33 am

Well the family get together has now ended and we are now home. The late lunch was very good.I will not see some of them for a year if we are still alive. The differences in personality ,education and net worth are great but we are all family. The head of the Union at Toronto Hydro, said ," Hello uncle Les," .Another nephew who forgot to send me a bill for an electrician who worked here just returned from Florida . Another one who has a permanent smile on his face , he is loaded, was there.Sons and daughters of others at school, college and university where there too.There was one principal of a Catholics High school present and teachers too.All are related by birth or marriage.
One man who says he is permanently retired for the last seven years takes 12 pills a day for heart and other problems, he is 64 yess old.He owns a house in Italy somewhere between Rome and Naples. My sister in law had an accident in Guelph last Friday. A 23 year old homeless person ran into her car and the impression of his head is on her windshield. The man is in hospital, the car in the body shop. No charges have been laid. She spent two hours at the accident scene or with police.She thinks the man tried to commit suicide.But no one knows for sure.
.Others chatted or joked. We all had a good time.kids did a sing song for us of Christmas Carols. As it was my daughter's birthday Mary bought her a decorated birthday to be cut up into 46 pieces.There is none left.There was plenty of wine, but I only had a glass and a half.No one drank to excess.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 21st, 2017, 11:36 am

Our steady march towards totalitarianism of the Polish communist regime type continues on unabated under Trudeau.
A private company must take a loyalty oath to the government before getting government grants for employment of student labour during summer months.

. According to a government information package to all Members of Parliament, employers who want to participate must now attest that:

both the job and the organization’s core mandate respect individual human rights in Canada, including the values underlying the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as other rights. These include reproductive rights and the right to be free from discrimination on the basis of sex, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, colour, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.

And I wasn’t the only one to be shocked. Pro-life allies from Poland and Russia told me I was right to be reminded of the bad old days of Communism. Maciek Kwiatkowski, who lives in Warsaw, linked to our story on Facebook and announced: “The Canadian march towards totalitarianism is proceeding briskly. General Jaruzelski [the last Chairman of the People’s Republic of Poland] would be proud of the revolutionary attitude of Justin Trudeau.”

Maciek told me that in Poland’s Communist era, the Christian who did not abandon his faith and sign on with the officially atheist Communist Party wouldn’t do well materially.

URGENT: Tell Justin Trudeau you oppose this attack on freedom of conscience. Sign the petition and send a postcard here!

By Dorothy Cummings McLean
who grew up in Toronto West End and is of Polish descent.

Some of you may think this is nothing much to get excited about, but you overlook "the reproductive Rights" phrase contained therein,.That is fundamental .
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 22nd, 2017, 1:09 pm

Yesterday, about 6,000 people attended the funeral of Barry and Honey Sherman whose mysterious death last week is puzzling the Toronto police force.
Mr.Sherman ,founder of a generic drug company called Apotex, was known to be a generous philantrophist , and gave millions away to hospitals and other causes.He was well liked by people here, (brand name drug companies he fought against respected him).
He drove until recently a beat up second hand car and flew economy class on airlines, although he was worth about four billion dollars.He spoke his mind , and didn't appreciate bullshit. I believe he was a PhD in pharmacy.
Surprisingly at a Jewish funeral ceremony , he was an atheist, his wife was described as spiritual. Honey, by their son , as reported in the National Post today.
One may have been soft, calm, brilliantly logical, staunchly atheist and unconditionally loving and proud, Jonathon Sherman said speaking of his father.The other may have been firm, intensely energetic,brilliantly gregarious, silently spiritual and unconditionally honest and caring.But together they were everything and perfect.

May the God, of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob grant them peace and eternal rest.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » January 5th, 2018, 7:04 pm

The minimum wage in Ontario rose from $11.60 an hour to $14 an hour on January 1st 2018, and already the reaction to it by some Tim Hortons franchises has been mean and demeaning to workers.Management has deducted paid breaks for their employees. It is contemptible because the one franchise owner in the news owns six franchises., And don't try to tell me he can't make a profit!
My reaction is to boycott all Tim Hortons franchises until their employees are fairly treated.
I will not visit a Tim Hortons until things change for the better .

The Premier of Ontario, Ms Wynne has accused Tim Hortons of bullying and the Minister of Labour is also involved.He has appeared on TV recently .

I think that if small businessmen can't afford to pay their few employees a living wage they should not be in business.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 5th, 2018, 11:31 pm

I agree with you.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to In depth