Answers to climate change doubters.

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Answers to climate change doubters.

Postby Sprocket » December 23rd, 2014, 7:51 am

Someone on Facebook opined that global warming "dousent exist" (sic). I told him that I assumed he has a Ph.D. in a relevant science and ia actively involved in climate research, since he felt qualified to disagree with 97% of climate scientists. I await his response with interest. In the meantime, I posted this for his edification.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Re: Answers to climate change doubters.

Postby different glory » December 23rd, 2014, 9:32 am

"A man convinced against his will
Retains the same opinion still."

You rightly have put this in The Church Hall, since the idea that anthropogenic climate change is not happening is held with all the fervour that characterises - or maybe ought to characterise - religious belief.
But why bother to argue? As far as the general mass of people goes, most already accept the reality; for the rest, it will come all too plain all too soon.
As far as the powerful decision-makers go - pretty well all governments are aware, and trying to work out how to respond. Those whose business (or strategic) interests are leading them to deny reality aren't going to admit being convinced even when they are.

(My own government is acting shamefully in this matter; however this is political self-interest and the weight of business interests. Government politicians know the reality all right - it's just that they have the cynicism not to care.)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Val » December 23rd, 2014, 9:36 am

Sprocket wrote:Someone on Facebook opined that global warming "dousent exist" (sic). I told him that I assumed he has a Ph.D. in a relevant science and ia actively involved in climate research, since he felt qualified to disagree with 97% of climate scientists. I await his response with interest. In the meantime, I posted this for his edification.

But apart from those 176 rebuttals to climate myth what real evidence do you have, I mean it was warm yesterday in Dublin and its going to be cold over the Coca Cola festival Have you seen it yet :yahoo:
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 am

I don't need a PhD in science to know that there are Science PhDs on both sides of the argument. I have listened to both sides and still can't make my mind up who is right.
On one side climate doubters believe that money given for research to the scientific community is behind the dubious results of their research, and that they want the grants to continue as it keeps them in jobs. On the other side the supporters think big business interests,( big oil, coal, natural gas, mining) are opposed to the truth. In China and India they don't give a damn about climate change, although they ought to considering the heavy smog at times in Beijing.
So, I will await the conclusions of Science which will eventually sort itself out and meanwhile drink coffee, build electronic projects, such as astable multivibrators, this morning and enjoy Christmas.
Greetings fellow earthlings :grin:
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » December 23rd, 2014, 11:49 am

97%. How much certainty do you need?
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » December 23rd, 2014, 12:08 pm

Counting numbers of scientists who support an idea as being significant in determining the truth of it is not always logical. I call it the. " Hitler Phenomenon" where the fact that most Germans supported him, didn't make him or his ideas right.

Since my last post I read these two articles in The National Post, which are by Alex Epstein.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... ederated=1
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 23rd, 2014, 12:12 pm

97% is convincing enough for me. dg knows a lot about it, she and her husband working in the field of environmental science (I'm sure she has told has that in the past on the forum, it wasn't a personal confidence to me), consequently it worries her in a way that we do not worry, ie it all seems OK today to us and the future is way ahead. We can only try our best, not to waste resources etc. I'd like to do more though, I just don't know what.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » December 23rd, 2014, 12:35 pm

When it's 97% of experts in the field, it is relevant, but it is in any case only one argument, by no means the most important, in favour of human-caused climate change.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » December 23rd, 2014, 1:08 pm

Sprocket wrote:When it's 97% of experts in the field, it is relevant, but it is in any case only one argument, by no means the most important, in favour of human-caused climate change.

The kind of evidence, a series if one liner facts, numbering over a hundred don't convince anyone who thinks about it, as you are not given any proof that they are correct, or that they are relevant to man made climate change, if correct. Where is the evidence. No scientist has given a rebuttal, (if there is one, and I am sure there must be at least one rebuttal)

In this case the one liners are an attempt to "blind one with science", to get people confused as they cannot possibly check these things out themselves..
I find it an annoying propaganda piece, which does no justice to the cause of Science.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » December 23rd, 2014, 1:27 pm

If you explore the site, you can find fuller versions of each rebuttal, with references.
Sprocket

Next

Return to In depth