Answers to climate change doubters.

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Answers to climate change doubters.

Postby Pondero » February 3rd, 2016, 10:07 pm

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... =ab53-ca8f

I think David Suzuki has a screw loose.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » February 3rd, 2016, 11:06 pm

I think Stephen Harper is criminally irresponsible.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » February 4th, 2016, 12:30 am

Sprocket wrote:I think Stephen Harper is criminally irresponsible.

Whatever does that mean!
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 4th, 2016, 12:37 am

Intending to do wrong but going about it in a slapdash manner.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 4th, 2016, 2:33 am

Lyn wrote:Intending to do wrong but going about it in a slapdash manner.

I don't think some half-baked zoologist has the right to accuse the previous Prime Minister of anything criminal. No Criminal code was broken. Mr. Harper was the best Prime Minister Canada has had since Sir.John A.Macdonald.
Pondero

Postby Serenjen » February 4th, 2016, 9:38 am

Macdonald is viewed by many Canadian historians, and by many ordinary Canadians, as an exceptionally clever, very charming politician who possessed little else -- no vision, no creativity, and no ideas but the tactical stratagems of a pragmatist and opportunist-as well as being corrupt and cynical, and a drunk

Says it all really :roll:
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Pondero » February 4th, 2016, 11:20 am

Serenjen wrote:
Macdonald is viewed by many Canadian historians, and by many ordinary Canadians, as an exceptionally clever, very charming politician who possessed little else -- no vision, no creativity, and no ideas but the tactical stratagems of a pragmatist and opportunist-as well as being corrupt and cynical, and a drunk

Says it all really :roll:

It does indeed and none of it I agree with. Macdonald was the father of Confederation in 1867.The politician who made a nation. A man who developed the railway crossing our great land.A man who put tarrifs upon US imports to give Canada a chance to develop its own industry.
As usual the intellectual types have got it wrong. Today, we don't use the word drunk so much we really are more enlightened.We know that alcoholism is a disease.

Any continuation of this topic about John A.MacDonald should be elsewhere , perhaps in the Only in Canada section.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 4th, 2016, 11:53 am

Why? Some of what you say is relevant to the thread title, Pondy though I am not sure about the relevance of the late Mr McDonald! Did he talk about climate change?

I know nothing about McDonald but you obviously admire him and so do others. I admire people too but accept that sometimes they get things wrong, indeed people are more admirable if not presented as perfect. Nobody is perfect and none of us have all the answers! That applies equally to Mr Harper. He doesn't know any more than you about climate change.

(Being a drunk does not mean being an alcoholic and vice versa. Many people get drunk regularly and then just pack it up and only drink socially. Some binge drink (which can be quite dangerous and require detoxing), then stop and drink socially. An alcoholic cannot drink at all if they have dried out because they are unable to have one or two drinks like most of us. Being an alcoholic is a disease but no-one doubts that it is a self-indulgent condition and can be addressed with determination and professional help. What has alcoholism to do with climate change?)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 4th, 2016, 12:46 pm

I have seen alcoholism in my own family. An inability to stop after one drink. Now this w as done only at weekends. That seems to combine your definition of binge drinking with alcoholism. They are not mutually exclusive.
I
Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 4th, 2016, 1:15 pm

That was binge drinking Pondy, a bad habit rather than addiction. Of course, binging can lead to alcoholism but an alcoholic will not be able to go all week without a drink. Usually it's three days before they start getting agitated but for some it is far less. A binge drinker cut down their intake and stop, it just takes a bit of determination. None of this has owt to do with climate change, I only mentioned it because you did - and I do not know why you did. No matter, it's quite interesting.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to In depth