Can Science Study The Supernatural?

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Can Science Study The Supernatural?

Postby Pondero » March 26th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Val wrote:
Pondero wrote:The day hasn't started yet, it is still dark outside and I am thinking about my late maiden aunt, Aunt Florry, a good Christian who would be lost on this thread if asked to explain the deep tenets of her Church of England Faith. Yet I am sure she is in heaven now. She influenced me greatly in my faith in Christianity. Atheists would have us believe that what she believed was a fairy story. Atheists try to get us to believe that we are descended from animals, that our spiritual soul does not exist, because we can't see it, measure it or give it a mathematical formula.

Science which atheists worship with all the faith and fervour of the most devoted Christian have an absolute faith in Materialism, which makes it impossible for them to believe in the supernatural. It also, if they are a convert to atheism from Christianity allows them to sin with impunity, without fear of Hell at the end of their miserable lives. I think the ability to be without punishment is what makes them atheists. At least it is an important factor.
To justify their atheism they tell us that what we believe in is nonsense, and what they worship, Science , is explanation enough for the universe. They lie to themselves saying we don't need a creator.
Atheists will soon realize that giving into the message of the world that is having a good time is all there is ,does not give them an escape from some of the crosses, trials and tribulations of life that everyone, rich ,poor, atheist, agnostic or Christian must endure,. We Christians know that our crosses can be light, our pleasures modified, our hearts full of joy, and that we will have peace in the supernatural love we receive from our belief system.
And at the end of life we can reach Heaven. An atheist has no such hope, at least in his belief system. We know that he will face God like the rest of us at the end of his life. Wow, what a surprise the atheist is going to get.

You really have no idea about people who do not accept the Christian or any other religious faith, They do not worship anything they leave that to the God botherers, there is no conversion to atheism, no lying just simple truth and a truth that sets you free

And you have lost your Faith in Christianity, I am sure giving up the Faith of your birth has not made you any happier.This is very sad.
For the evil that it is: Atheism is a belief in no-thing, no- God. You have to have faith to believe in nothing.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » March 27th, 2015, 10:00 am

To quote somebody-or-other: "Atheism is a faith in the same way that not stamp collecting is a hobby".
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » March 27th, 2015, 10:13 am

Sprocket wrote:To quote somebody-or-other: "Atheism is a faith in the same way that not stamp collecting is a hobby".

Atheism is an absence of faith in Christianity. Few are brought up atheist in our society, but sadly this is about to change as Christianity is declining in the UK mainly, from what I read, and the decline will soon be like the background radiation after the Big Bang. Something our descendants vaguely remember their great grandparents talking about.
At or before that time, God by divine intervention, will make His presence felt on earth and scare the 'bejeebers' out of most living souls.

I have some Maltese stamps to give away, not many, but if anyone is interested I will mail them. :hello:

Definition of Faith:
For a Christian Faith is a supernatural gift of God enabling them to believe whatever God has revealed. For an atheist Faith is that which enables them to believe in the impossible, against all the evidence to the contrary.

Three letters in the National Post today support atheism.One lie is "The. Faithful live a life wasted on genuflecting to God (there are thousands to choose from) that has manners and morals of a spoiled child." Another is: "The atheists position is justified by the evidence, and for god there is none."
That last quote is from a person who hasn't looked for the evidence obviously. Design in the universe requires a designer. As for St.Thomas, well they have never heard of him or the five (philosophical) proofs for the existence of God.
Last edited by Pondero on March 27th, 2015, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 10:58 am

Sprocket wrote:To quote somebody-or-other: "Atheism is a faith in the same way that not stamp collecting is a hobby".

I have not stamp collected since primary school, but I enjoy the hobby
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » March 27th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Val wrote:

Let's see in terms of grammar:
"I have not stamp collected since primary school..."
Present Perfect Tense, negative, alluding to some activity discontinued in the (undated) past.
..."but I enjoy the hobby."
Present Simple Tense alluding to an active interest taking place in the present.

Er... :scratch:
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 4:06 pm

GregB wrote:
Val wrote:

Let's see in terms of grammar:
"I have not stamp collected since primary school..."
Present Perfect Tense, negative, alluding to some activity discontinued in the (undated) past.
..."but I enjoy the hobby."
Present Simple Tense alluding to an active interest taking place in the present.

Er... :scratch:

As Sprocket wrote, To quote somebody-or-other: "Atheism is a faith in the same way that not stamp collecting is a hobby".
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » March 27th, 2015, 4:54 pm

You've missed the point, Val. My criticism was simply of your bad grammar (and what would you expect from an old teacher of English, retired but not yet in my dotage?) If you gave up your stamp-collecting hobby years ago, you obviously can't "enjoy" it in the present. That's all...
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 6:13 pm

GregB wrote:You've missed the point, Val. My criticism was simply of your bad grammar (and what would you expect from an old teacher of English, retired but not yet in my dotage?) If you gave up your stamp-collecting hobby years ago, you obviously can't "enjoy" it in the present. That's all...

Well Greg, not so old but retired teacher of good English, my bad grammar apart. You missed the point.
Atheism can be likened to a religion, just as not collecting stamps can be classed as a hobby.
John Stuart Mill

Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » March 27th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Bullshit. You're obviously trying to wriggle out of the plain fact that your sentence was grammatically wrong, whatever a posteriori spin you try to put on it.
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » March 27th, 2015, 6:39 pm

When applied to modern-day atheism, then I don't believe this comparison holds as like is not being compared with like. Those not collecting stamps tend not to have anything to say about those that do, .e.g.

• They don't question whether or not stamp-collecting is a hobby.
  • Those that collect stamps are not mocked / ridiculed for doing so.
  • There are unlikely to be any publications such as Stamp Collecting: The hobby delusion
etc., you get the picture.

Once again, things come down to truth. The burden of proof should like with the one making the claim. If the modern atheist wants to claim as a truth that God doesn't exist, then either they can attempt to demonstrate why directly, or because they like hiding behind the you cannot prove a negative, they could demonstrate why the converse is true, namely the foundations for their materialistic precommitment that all causes have natural explanations.
SwordOfTheSpirit

PreviousNext

Return to In depth