Can Science Study The Supernatural?

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Can Science Study The Supernatural?

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 7:14 pm

GregB wrote:Bullshit. You're obviously trying to wriggle out of the plain fact that your sentence was grammatically wrong, whatever a posteriori spin you try to put on it.

Greg, all my sentences are, were and most likely will be grammatically wrong but that doesn't alter the fact that you, Mr I'm a teacher of Engish missed the whole, entire fekkin point of that text
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 7:17 pm

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:
Sprocket wrote:To quote somebody-or-other: "Atheism is a faith in the same way that not stamp collecting is a hobby".

When applied to modern-day atheism, then I don't believe this comparison holds as like is not being compared with like. Those not collecting stamps tend not to have anything to say about those that do, .e.g.

Are you trying to be funny
SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:
  • They don't question whether or not stamp-collecting is a hobby.
  • Those that collect stamps are not mocked / ridiculed for doing so.
  • There are unlikely to be any publications such as Stamp Collecting: The hobby delusion
etc., you get the picture.

Now I know you are taking the urine
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » March 27th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Last edited by GregB on March 27th, 2015, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Sprocket » March 27th, 2015, 7:40 pm

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:Once again, things come down to truth. The burden of proof should like with the one making the claim.

Quite - and it's believers, including me, who are making the claim - that God is real. Not believing in something is failing to make a claim. The onus is on us believers to say why we think belief is reasonable, otherwise atheism wins by default.
I remember having this very argument almost 50 years ago, when I was in the 6th form, with a friend who was a Roman Catholic. I at the time was going through an atheist phase, like a lot of adolescents.
Last edited by Sprocket on March 27th, 2015, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » March 27th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Val wrote:
GregB wrote:Bullshit. You're obviously trying to wriggle out of the plain fact that your sentence was grammatically wrong, whatever a posteriori spin you try to put on it.

Greg, all my sentences are, were and most likely will be grammatically wrong but that doesn't alter the fact that you, Mr I'm a teacher of Engish missed the whole, entire fekkin point of that text

I missed the whole fekkin point? I don't think so, you insolent prick. Anyways (sic), do me a favour and go fekk yourself you godless twerp. (I think that's known as autogenesis but I'm sure that other godless twerp, Dick(head) Dawkins will confirm it.) Insults, Val? Yep, but perhaps I'm just tired of your cliché-ridden atheistic twaddle (to use a term from a recent post of yours when you had the face to complain about insults from others.)

Ah, using your intelligence? But if it just emerges from random evolutionary processes, how can you even trust its ultimate coherence (ditto your emotions and ethics, simply evolutionary hard-wiring - but we've been there many times before and you still don't get it, do you?)
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 7:53 pm

GregB wrote:I missed the whole fekkin point? I don't think so, you insolent prick. Anyways (sic), do me a favour and go fekk yourself you godless twerp. (I think that's known as autogenesis but I'm sure that other godless twerp, Dick(head) Dawkins will confirm it.) Insults, Val? Yep, but perhaps I'm just tired of your atheistic twaddle (to use a term from a recent post of yours when you had the face to complain about insults from others.)

You'd know by your power of the English language that you is a man of good education, twasn't wasted on you.
John Stuart Mill

Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 7:58 pm

GregB wrote:Ah, using your intelligence? But if it just emerges from random evolutionary processes, how can you even trust its ultimate coherence (ditto your emotions and ethics, simply evolutionary hard-wiring - but we've been there many times before and you still don't get it, do you?)

I got it a long time ago Greg, and the more I see of supposedly Christian attitudes from certain Thaddeans, the only pity is that I didn't get it sooner
John Stuart Mill

Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » March 27th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Self-righteous crap, Val - the same old whining nonsense from self-preening atheists who seek to glow even better in the light of what they perceive as failed Christian attitudes. Yes, we Christians individually fall down in many respects, but to attack the faith as a whole on such a basis is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, though stock par for the course.
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Val » March 27th, 2015, 8:17 pm

GregB wrote:Self-righteous crap, Val - the same old whining nonsense from self-preening atheists who seek to glow even better in the light of what they perceive as failed Christian attitudes. Yes, we Christians individually fall down in many respects, but to attack the faith as a whole on such a basis is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, though stock par for the course.

I have tried a few times to respond to your post but words fail me, it may well be because of my limited grasp of good English.

Anyway, I am away home now after a particularly long day
John Stuart Mill

Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » March 27th, 2015, 8:36 pm

There is nothing wrong with your English, just an isolated case of faulty grammar due to an assertion separated from its due context (or so it seemed to me; I may have been wrong.)

Well, before signing off myself, let me just return to my earlier point (which, for the umpteenth time, I still think you don't get!) If there is no absolute, pure, timeless, external source or origin of our ethics (God, uncreated goodness, for believers), then those ethics, our morality, even our love for those close to us, are all simply the mechanical utilitarian result of evolutionary hard-wiring (ie. it's more convenient for the furtherance of the species than self-centredness or open conflict with others) and therefore they have no intrinsic value or significance in themselves. In other words, you're simply programmed like a robot into a set of given responses, although you have the false notion that they're somehow autonomous and have independent value in themselves. A huge fallacy and exercise in self delusion, but it would at least be honest to admit such.

Have a peaceful night.
- Woody Allen
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to In depth