Ireland Referendum on same sex marriage

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Ireland Referendum on same sex marriage

Postby Val » April 16th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Ireland is going to hold a referendum on May 22nd to amend the constitution to permit same sex marriage thereby giving equal status under Irish law to lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender couples as that of marriage between a man and a woman, If passed and so far the yes voters lead 80 -20.
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Re: Ireland Referendum on same sex marriage

Postby Pondero » April 16th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Val wrote:Ireland is going to hold a referendum on May 22nd to amend the constitution to permit same sex marriage thereby giving equal status under Irish law to lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender couples as that of marriage between a man and a woman, If passed and so far the yes voters lead 80 -20.

Whichever way it goes,be thankful you live in a democracy. You don't have a. Supreme Court telling you what to do.
Are you an ex-military marksman Val? You say you are going to a shooting match.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » April 17th, 2015, 9:54 pm

Pondero wrote:
Val wrote:Ireland is going to hold a referendum on May 22nd to amend the constitution to permit same sex marriage thereby giving equal status under Irish law to lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender couples as that of marriage between a man and a woman, If passed and so far the yes voters lead 80 -20.

Whichever way it goes,be thankful you live in a democracy. You don't have a. Supreme Court telling you what to do.
Are you an ex-military marksman Val? You say you are going to a shooting match.

The 80% in support of versus the 20% opposed to same-sex 'marriage' poll has been challenged by one of the Irish 'gay-marriage supporting politicians who said the polls were unreliable, and who urged the supporters of "same-sex marriage" to work harder.
If I recall correctly what I read earlier such tactics in the USA of misrepresenting truth of polls was common when the thirty four states voted for traditional marriage.Only three states approved of 'same-sex 'marriage.' I understand that the US Supreme Court will allow 'same-sex marriage' thus over ruling the majority of Americans who support traditional marriage i.e.between two members of the opposite sex only.
I do hope the Irish language translation of the vote, currently being changed for legal reasons, is straightforward. I am not sure the English translation of the vote is as plain as it could be.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » April 24th, 2015, 11:54 am

Although most states, I think 35 , have rejected same-sex "marriage", the Supreme Court of the United States will hear arguments on April 28th, supporting a "constitutional right" to same-sex "marriage.
Most people don't want it, but it may be forced on them against their will. Isn't that the way these gay rights group operate? To hell with anyone elses view, only theirs counts.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » April 24th, 2015, 11:59 am

How is gay marriage being forced on anyone against their will? Are men being forced at gunpoint to marry other men, or women to marry other women?
A cat once got frozen to -273 C, but it's 0k now.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » April 26th, 2015, 10:21 am

Sprocket wrote:How is gay marriage being forced on anyone against their will? Are men being forced at gunpoint to marry other men, or women to marry other women?

No, of course not. But if it becomes law, then the wishes of the majority of states are overruled and their state laws supporting only traditional marriage become invalid. That means that nine-robed Supreme Court justices overrule the wishes of the majority of people, which is very undemocratic.
Besides, in the whole history of Christianity, homosexual life styles have been condemned as sinful. Why give legal backing to something sinful.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 29th, 2015, 12:28 pm

There's more to life than traditional Christianity, Pondy. Sounds like a good move to me Val and, as Sprocks says, no-one is going to be forced to marry someone of their own sex - perish the thought! However throughout history, when one looks at royals and aristocrats, many were forced to marry a person of the opposite sex even if they were totally unsuitable for marriage.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » May 21st, 2015, 11:46 am

Tomorrow. Irish men and women will be voting "to permit marriage of two persons without distinction as to their sex"

Why is this necessary? Well, it is because a constitutional reform commission in 2013 recommended legalization of full-fledged marriage for gays. Thus over ruling hundreds of years of sanctity for family and marriage under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Church. Homosexuals in Ireland already have since 2010 civil partnerships for gay couples resolving problems involving property ownership, pensions, tax benefits and other financial matters.
This move to gay marriage is based on the wish to be like heterosexual couples and get the same respect, they already have the same legal benefits.It has nothing to do with preventing homosexual men from repressing an essential part of their humanity. Gay couples are already socially accepted and many have good jobs. They already have respect in that sense. But, they want the impossible, and it cannot be had whether the vote tomorrow is Yes or No.

The impossible being for men to have babies and women to have sperm to procreate. God didn't didn't make men and women that way.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » May 23rd, 2015, 9:17 am

I hope that Ireland stands firm and votes a resounding No
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Sprocket » May 23rd, 2015, 9:21 am

I think, and hope, that you're going to be disappointed.
A cat once got frozen to -273 C, but it's 0k now.
Sprocket

Next

Return to In depth