Oppose abortion if you want to...

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Oppose abortion if you want to...

Postby Sprocket » August 14th, 2015, 4:29 am

...and I don't like it myself, but be honest about it. This article debunks some of the myths perpetuated by the anti-abortion lobby.
The idiot who, in railway carriages, talks on a mobile phone
We only suffer to ride on the buffer of a Virgin Train, alone.
W.S.Gilbert, modernised.
Sprocket

Re: Oppose abortion if you want to...

Postby Pondero » August 14th, 2015, 10:19 am

Depression
Cancer
Pain in foetus
Reduces fertility.
Reducing abortions leads to decreasing demand - have I got this last one right?

Assuming the scientist is correct, which I sincerely doubt, it is all irrelevant to a Pro-Life person such as myself.
The scientist should leave religion alone, as he obviously doesn't understand religious motivation.
Which is..
It is wrong to kill an unborn baby, a foetus.
Life begins at conception.
A foetus has a soul.

He doesn't mention religious motivation, but to be fair, he should have. As he is unfair, it is best as a scientist (and not as an ordinary mortal.but one who people put on a pedestal to look up to - God knows why we do this :scratch: ) perhaps, that he not discuss the subject.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » August 14th, 2015, 4:07 pm

The scientist is leaving religion alone - he doesn't mention that. It's the religious opponents of abortion who interfere in science, not vice versa, by misrepresenting it, as the article points out. If you have a religious objection to all abortion, even very early, by all means voice your opinion and try to persuade others, but don't misrepresent the science, as too often happens - that's all he's saying.
W.S.Gilbert, modernised.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » August 14th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Sprocket wrote:The scientist is leaving religion alone - he doesn't mention that. It's the religious opponents of abortion who interfere in science, not vice versa, by misrepresenting it, as the article points out. If you have a religious objection to all abortion, even very early, by all means voice your opinion and try to persuade others, but don't misrepresent the science, as too often happens - that's all he's saying.

This professor is part of the abortion lobby and supports abortion.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » August 14th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Pondero wrote:
Sprocket wrote:The scientist is leaving religion alone - he doesn't mention that. It's the religious opponents of abortion who interfere in science, not vice versa, by misrepresenting it, as the article points out. If you have a religious objection to all abortion, even very early, by all means voice your opinion and try to persuade others, but don't misrepresent the science, as too often happens - that's all he's saying.

That is irrelevant, if his facts are correct.
W.S.Gilbert, modernised.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » August 14th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Pondero wrote:

That is irrelevant, if his facts are correct.

The whole damned thing is irrelevant. Science has nothing much to say about abortion except that life begins at conception.My church, the Roman Catholic Church has a lot to say about it from encyclicals dating back from at least the nineteen thirties . Prior to that time, abortion was not common like it is today, and other encyclicals criticizing abortion followed later when abortion became more prevalent.The arguments the Professor is criticizing do not appear in Castii Connubii (Christian Marriage - 1930 Pope Pius XI) and Humanae Vitae (On Human Life -July 25,1968 Pope Paul VI).
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 14th, 2015, 10:37 am

If you Google " Why I confessed .National Post " as I did five minutes ago yo you will get an article about how a reporter confessed her sins to a priest after 25 years. It is a true story found in the December 12th edition.
Now why can't such a genuine Catholic story be ,not in the secular press, but in the Catholic Register, a newspaper I am getting sick of because of its anti-catholic letters..
It is well worth seeking out on Google and reading. I am going to read it a second time, now!
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 14th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Oh Pondy, regarding the Catholic Register (which I have never read), a strong organisation such as the Catholic Church is all the better for having a few iconoclasts in its midst. Also it would be very boring reading if everything was 'nice', people agreeing all the time. Not genuine imo.

The above is my opinion :D .

(No comments about abortion because everyone on here knows my opinions on that subject)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 14th, 2015, 9:02 pm

: My letter Victoria won't cause shock waves in the editors board room.They know that the Church has Modernists ( see Pascendi by St.Pius X ) in their midst. They will write some pious platitudes about freedom of expression being pre-eminent in the Catholic Register because they do not know what exactly to believe themselves or are divided about their beliefs. The early Church fought over the meaning of words and phrases to get the definitions right. The Arian heresy, to name one. The history of the Nicene creed, all required precise definitions about Jesus being "consubstantial" with ,not created or preceded by the The Father. AboutThe Trinity of three persons in One God, and not three Gods
Theological definitions in the Church are as precise as any mathematical theorem.

And those who do not agree were called heretics. And not allowed full communion in the Church or cast out. Let them be anathema was the cry!
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Serenjen » January 24th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Interestingly, the priest didn't visit me when I miscarried. Neither was any sort of service offered. Hush hush was the message.

I had to search out a church in New York that would acknowledge and record a name and the date he/she was taken.

Seems life begins when someone thinks it's a good opportunity to criticise someone else for their life choices...
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Next

Return to In depth