Oppose abortion if you want to...

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Oppose abortion if you want to...

Postby Sprocket » January 24th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Pondero wrote:: The Arian heresy, to name one.

The trouble is, Arius was a really nice bloke, and his opponents were ratbags.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » January 24th, 2016, 11:51 pm

Even if a woman is raped and conceives as a result.It is no reason to kill the unborn child. In fact in Frday's Pro-Life parade in Washington. Some women had signs saying their child was as a result of rape, and they love the child. Many others had signs saying "I regret my abortion".
The parade was ending when the snow started to fall. Everyone was cheerful and happy regardless of the weather.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby different glory » January 26th, 2016, 4:01 am

Interestingly, the priest didn't visit me when I miscarried. Neither was any sort of service offered.

I'm sorry you had that experience, Jen. I admire the strength that you had to push on until you found a church which did acknowledge your child, and your loss. (and sorry again if my words are clumsy.)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » January 27th, 2016, 4:04 pm

I've only just read Serenjen's post and found it quite moving.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2016, 1:17 pm

Well, if I should make a comment about Serenjen's experience. I don't know the details except that it took place in New York city or State, presumably in a hospital and that Serenjen didn't know the sex of the fetus.
A miscarriage differs from an abortion in that the former is unintentional and the latter an act of murder. As for being let down by priest who ought to have baptized the unborn or at least offered some prayers for both the fetus and Serenjen, priests certainly have their faults, and perhaps (without knowing the circumstances) this priest -. I don't know how responsible he was. was guilty, maybe not.
Certainly the crack about the Church's teaching was undeserved.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 31st, 2016, 1:37 pm

Strictly speaking, a miscarriage is a "Spontaneous abortion", Pondy. Unplanned of course.

I do not know why pro-life women advertise the fact that their child was conceived through rape. Would any of us want to know that was how we came about? The womens' children may find out and have all sorts of horrors, psychological problems, because of that knowledge, even though they know it wasn't their fault.

Adopted children often wonder about that too, if they know nothing or little about their conception. It's a great relief to find out that they were conceived, albeit by accident, not by force. I think children should be protected and not have to confront great sins of their fathers, certainly not gross acts of violation.

Pro-life people of the type Pondy describes are extremists, they lack compassion for everyone except the unborn child - who wouldn't know anything anyway. It's about time they put themselves in the shoes of others, not everything is black and white, but they seem to lack empathy.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2016, 2:23 pm

Strictly speaking, a miscarriage is a "Spontaneous abortion", Pondy. Unplanned of course.

I disagree with you there. The difference is deliberately ignored for the sake of the abortion on demand people who want it to be so regarded. The difference is as I explained (and I am not going to repeat myself)

I do not know why pro-life women advertise the fact that their child was conceived through rape. Would any of us want to know that was how we came about? The womens' children may find out and have all sorts of horrors, psychological problems, because of that knowledge, even though they know it wasn't their fault.

None of what you say is sufficient reason for aborting the child. It is not the child”s fault that he was conceived by rape.
The reason Pro Life women on parade in Washington a few days ago advertised the FACT that they loved the child conceived by rape is because it is TRUE. And the reason is also to disagree withv many people who say they are opposed to abortion except in the case of rape .

Pro-life people of the type Pondy describes are extremists, they lack compassion for everyone except the unborn child - who wouldn't know anything anyway. It's about time they put themselves in the shoes of others, not everything is black and white, but they seem to lack empathy.

That is not true l y n, these women are walking in the same shoes as they are the mothers of the children conceived by rape.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » January 31st, 2016, 2:53 pm

You may not like it, but "spontaneous abortion" is the medical term for a miscarriage, and always has been.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2016, 6:35 pm

Everyone knows that I mean abortion (as commonly understood) when I use the word, and not miscarriage.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 31st, 2016, 8:01 pm

We all know that Pondy, I was just being precise as I am sure was Sprocks; we would both use the word "abortion" as you do but the conversation touched on miscarriage as well as intended abortion so it wasn't inappropriate for us to specify.

As for women showing how much they love their children born of rape, they would show more love to keep schtum. It isn't just their business, it is their childrens' business and many wouldn't want anyone else to know, they might be traumatised by knowing their father was a rapist. Boys could even worry that they could have inherited some tendancy. As for girls, they could well feel shoddy and imagine their mother being violated. Not pleasant at all.

There is no point in talking to you about this Pondy, you are so entrenched in your beliefs. You seem incapable of empathising. I've come across others who feel as you do but it is often a different matter if it involves their loved one.

Let's leave it at that.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to In depth