Oppose abortion if you want to...

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Oppose abortion if you want to...

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2016, 9:48 pm

I do have empathy for anyone in that predicament l y n.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 31st, 2016, 10:10 pm

Fairynuff Pondy.

(Btw I am now 'Lyn' without spaces! Whoopee! Sally told me how to do it, she had to experiment with her own user log in first and said I should re-enter my email address. I did that but also had to change my password - not a problem as I do use another one for other things and remember it well. Glad not to be spaced out any more.)
Lyn

Postby Serenjen » February 2nd, 2016, 2:00 pm

I can understand a woman choosing abortion after rape. I can also understand a woman deciding to keep the baby.

As you all know, I made a lot of friends with women who'd had abortions. One woman I know horrifically raped by a gang. So bad that she needed surgery. She aborted after becoming pregnant.

However, years later she went on to have a planned child but she hadn't recovered mentally. She couldn't bear any sort of examination. And, if you've ever had a baby you'll know there's always someone who wants to look up your unmentionables and poke about. It's very invasive. She had to have her baby under general anaesthetic and then struggled with the whole bonding thing.

I don't think that nine months after her rape she would have been in any fit state to go give birth, mentally or physically.

Some women can, some can't. Either way they need support and understanding.

I don't know of any woman who has ever rocked up to a clinic without a care in the world. There are some that put on all the bravado, but underneath it all I bet they have the same thoughts, regrets and fears.
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2016, 5:41 pm

Excellent post Serenjen.

You said that women in that position need support and understanding: I agree and would add that no-one has the right to sit in judgement. However I doubt you have ever come across someone who shouts from the rooftops and demonstrates about her child being conceived after rape. The key word is "confidentiality". If she loves her child she will protect him or her.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 2nd, 2016, 9:05 pm

http://studentsforlife.org/prolifefacts ... -question/

There is another side to the question .
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2016, 9:44 pm

No-one was taking sides Pondy, quite the opposite. If we were taking sides we would be pro-abortion regardless of circumstances, all most of us have said is that sometimes abortion is appropriate.

You are the one taking sides, pro-life in any circumstances even if the girl in question has only just reached puberty. One problem with taking such a hard line on any subject is that loved ones may not feel able to confide in us or ask for help if they have difficulties.

Regarding your link, I'm sure most of us have read it all before. Hard cases do not make good rules. I remember a book written by a woman, a married woman with children who was raped and had a child. Not only did she write the book under her own name but there was a photograph of her and her child on the cover. He was, of course, programmed to be grateful to her for giving him life. It was scandalous.

Serenjen's last post is a very balanced and thoughtful one.

(Edited because previous post was rather clumsily expressed and needed expansion)
Lyn

Previous

Return to In depth