Assisted Dying

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Assisted Dying

Postby Pondero » September 20th, 2015, 10:51 am

If I knew death was inevitable within months, assuming the doctor's knew what they talking about, which they often don't in these cases,of being unable to predict accurately the time of death - I would want to live life to the fullest, by preparing myself spiritually for the next life -of eternity, one hopes with God.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » September 20th, 2015, 11:06 am

Fine. Anyway, just to draw the attention of others to the two posts from myself and Steve towards the end of the previous page, which address directly the issues raised in this debate, including the resort to Scripture (continuity at least!)
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Pondero » September 20th, 2015, 12:01 pm

As everyone knows, I am Roman Catholic, and the Church teaches that assisted suicide is wrong. Also, we Catholics do not rely on our own interpretation of the Bible, but on how the Church interprets it. It is our belief that the Church has the authority to teach what is and what is we are not to believe in order to be a Christian.
This is where we differ from other Christian denominations.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Theophilus » September 20th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Sprocket wrote:This is a problem which has only really arisen in the last century, when advances in medicine enabled people with terminal illnesses to live longer. Wanting to avoid the last few months of increasing helplessness and dependency is not necessarily borne of despair, but may be simply a rational and calm acceptance of the inevitable.

The advances in medicine are available on a purely voluntary basis - no one has to accept them; indeed I have relatives who - faced with cancer (for the second time) - have chosen to do exactly that. Assisted suicide is clearly not a choice forced on people because of advances in medicine, but rather because a change in attitude of what suicide is, and a desire among people for medical practitioners to approve of their actions. It is this second component which causes problems as I explain below:

GregB wrote:
I think the continued (third time now?) avoidance of the issue of assisted suicide being an issue that clearly has influences beyond the private decision of one person to end their own life is telling enough.

What avoidance?

I quoted above the particular issue you singularly failed to respond to; I don't know how much clearer I could've been. But to spell it out:

On the difference between your opposition of same-sex marriages and acceptance of assisted-suicide you said that same-sex marriages have wider ramifications that influence wider society, whereas assisted-suicide is the personal choice of one person to end their own life. Whilst I agree with your opinion regarding same-sex marriage, I cannot see how you can think assisted-suicide doesn't have wider ramifications. Moreover, your assertion that assisted suicide is a private choice of the individual regarding their own life is clearly not true at all because assisted-suicide involves somebody else, namely a doctor (at least, it may also involve members of family too). It is what such legislation would do to the freedom of a doctor to say 'no' to helping someone to commit suicide which is the most, practicably, troublesome part of this issue.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby GregB » September 20th, 2015, 4:19 pm

I quoted above the particular issue you singularly failed to respond to; I don't know how much clearer I could've been.

I tried to respond to what I assumed you were referring to, however clear you believe you may have been.

All right - you've 'spelled out' what you took to be the issue I 'avoided'. I could now respond to the points you've just made, but as I find the prospect of yet another round of carefully considered reactions inevitably being challenged and rebutted rather tiresome, I think I'll pass, at least for now. And, no, before you say it in so many words, I'm not 'chickening out'; I know exactly where I stand, the supposed 'wider ramifications' you allude to notwithstanding.
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Theophilus » September 20th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Of course you don't have to care about the wider ramifications, but at least they are now acknowledged. It challenges the view that those who caution against legislating in favour of assisted-suicide are imposing their views on other people - in fact it is not as simple as that because any legislation allowing assisted-suicide would necessarily impose certain views upon other people too, if those people happened to be doctors (or judges*).

*It may also put pressure on family members too, but not in as straight-forward a way.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Previous

Return to In depth