Is this the end of celibacy in the catholic priesthood?

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Is this the end of celibacy in the catholic priesthood?

Postby Val » August 4th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Maynooth Seminary might close close after allegations of gay sexual culture amongst the seminarians
This has been going on for years, let us see if they try another cover-up

http://www.thejournal.ie/maynooth-diarm ... 0-Aug2016/
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Re: Is this the end of celibacy in the catholic priesthood?

Postby Lyn » August 4th, 2016, 5:17 pm

Nothing new there. Gay men with a call to the priesthood have long joined orders known for tolerance of gay culture. The Marists are an example of that. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. Quite nice that gay people can live together in harmony with people of like mind and inclination :? .

Ending the rule of celibacy won't affect gay priests unless the church has a change of heart about homosexuality, which is not going to happen in the near future. It has more relevance for heterosexuals who long to be married and have children.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 4th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Lyn wrote:Nothing new there. Gay men with a call to the priesthood have long joined orders known for tolerance of gay culture. The Marists are an example of that. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. Quite nice that gay people can live together in harmony with people of like mind and inclination :? .

Ending the rule of celibacy won't affect gay priests unless the church has a change of heart about homosexuality, which is not going to happen in the near future. It has more relevance for heterosexuals who long to be married and have children.

To answer Val first, priestly celibacy is here for the short run, maybe not in the long term.

Lyn, gay culture is contrary to church teaching (Romans 1:23 on) and that app!ies to priests, religious orders, and lay men and women.Whenever found in a seminary it has to be stamped out.H omosexual acts are condemned both in the New Testament and in the Catechism.
There can be no women priests because Christ chose only men.

Val, now that the Supreme Court of the United States has approved gender-based washrooms for those who say they are of a different sex from what is on their birth certificates, how long will it be before such things come Ireland?
But gender based bathrooms are in Canada and the USA already .
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 4th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Yes but what happens when they want to go to the toilet ??? ;)

You used to say that the best solution for gay men wanting to be priests was to join a religious order, Pondy. I think so too :). A lot do already.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 4th, 2016, 6:45 pm

Lyn wrote:Yes but what happens when they want to go to the toilet ??? ;)

You used to say that the best solution for gay men wanting to be priests was to join a religious order, Pondy. I think so too :). A lot do already.

You often misquote me Lyn, and you have done it again.

I wonder what they do in Ireland ? Ask Val.

They don't have such things in the UK according to the Telegraph
My own view is that there should be male toilets, female toilets , wheelchair toilets and maybe, not necessarily, gender based toilets, for those confused about their sexuality who have not yet seen a psychiatrist, as long as they pay for them of course.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Val » August 4th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Pondero wrote:
Lyn wrote:Yes but what happens when they want to go to the toilet ??? ;)

You often misquote me Lyn, and you have done it again.

I wonder what they do in Ireland ? Ask Val.

They don't have such things in the UK according to the Telegraph
My own view is that there should be male toilets, female toilets , wheelchair toilets and maybe, not necessarily, gender based toilets, for those confused about their sexuality who have not yet seen a psychiatrist, as long as they pay for them of course.

I think the issue with "Jacks" (toilets) is that certain people may not be comfortable sharing a cubicle with a person who has their wobbly bit reassigned, like, if Greg got female hormone treatment (a lot of it) and got his male genitalia snipped and the left overs made into a female "thingy" technical name ...then, certain persons of his new gender might not accept him to be female, and feel awkward, for myself I prefer a private cubicle to do me business so it doesn't affect me.

I do believe that the celibacy issue of the priesthood is unhealthy and must now be sorted otherwise there wont be new Catholic priests in a few short years, IMO married men and women will make better priests
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Lyn » August 4th, 2016, 7:30 pm

More accurately, you said words to the effect of, "In the past, homosexuals joined religious orders which was the best thing for them". I think they still do and, yes, it is a better environment for them than living alone.

As for asking Val what happens in Ireland, he'll come back soon enough but I imagine they go to the toilet in Ireland the same as anyone else :? .

Oh I see Val has replied! Excellent. I too prefer a cubicle to meself.
Regarding transgender people, we might not notice anyway unless we were specifically looking.
So the lavatories are called, "Jacks" in Ireland, Val. Where did the colloquial term, "Bogs", come from I wonder?
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 4th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Lyn wrote:More accurately, you said words to the effect of, "In the past, homosexuals joined religious orders which was the best thing for them". I think they still do and, yes, it is a better environment for them than living alone.

I never said any such thing.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 4th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Pondy I would not say it if it was not true.
You said it more than once. We had some discussion surrounding Pope Benedict's (I assume it was him) proposal to stop homosexual men becoming priests and you said, "They used to.....etc". I thought it was funny at the time but didn't laugh because it was a serious thread and you were being serious. Naive perhaps but serious.
Anyway you obviously don't remember. Doesn't matter I suppose.

Back to goings on in Irish seminary.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 4th, 2016, 10:12 pm

You would not say it if you didn't believe it true ,Lyn. I know I didn't say that, but , ,,,,moving right along, I think that Maynooth will be Investigated and they get to the bottom of it.
John Lennox
Pondero

Next

Return to In depth