A saint...?

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

A saint...?

Postby GregB » September 2nd, 2016, 7:01 am

Mother Teresa of Calcutta is to be declared a saint of the Catholic church this coming Sunday. I'm with her critics (see the article for details) and I think the story of the supposed first miracle (required for sainthood) where a photo of the Albanian nun 'cured' a young woman suffering from abdominal cancer by placing it on her stomach simply smacks of mediaeval superstition. No doubt her defenders will have a different view of that, however...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37241762
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Re: A saint...?

Postby Lyn » September 2nd, 2016, 9:50 am

I've always felt the process of canonisation is rather suspect and, more importantly, pointless! It's possible to honour someone's memory without making them a Saint (capital S). It is rather an old fashioned business, borderline scandalous and, imo, ought to be scrapped but it appeals to the Traditionalists.

As far as M Theresa is concerned, she was quite a controversial figure for a very long time, even when she was very much alive. Undoubtedly she did tremendous work at the start of her ministry (I was very much a fan of hers then, found her inspirational); like many who achieved what she did, she appeared to think she could walk on water after a while which just goes to show no-one should be in power for too long! However I don't want to call her out as an example of who should not be canonised, there are plenty even less deserving - and as I firmly believe canonisation is an outdated practice anyway, I can't be impartial.

If I was still a practising Catholic I would have a lot more to say.
(Where is Pondy?)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » September 2nd, 2016, 10:02 am

Pondy is on a Globus bus with wifi just south of Zaragoza Spain. Time is short. We have lunch in an hour just outside Barcelona. Communication is very difficult because of time and itinerary constraints.
Android.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » September 2nd, 2016, 10:17 am

Understood Pondy.
Over and out. Robot.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » September 2nd, 2016, 10:26 am

Lyn wrote:Understood Pondy.
Over and out. Robot.

I am not Android I meant to write adeos.
245 kms. Off Barcelona now. Lunch in ten minutes
Battery low.rcharge tonight in Barcelona hotel
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby GregB » September 2nd, 2016, 11:47 am

I didn't know you were in Spain, Pondero! (Why didn't you let us know you were coming?) You'll undoubtedly have air-conditioning in your bus, just as well given the continuing stiflingly hot weather here, which will last at least another four or five days. Anyway, do let us know your itinerary. We won't be able to meet but I might be able to give you some useful information, although this is your second visit here, isn't it? Oh, and sorry to be pedantic, but it's 'adiós' (literally 'to God', like the French 'adieu'), not 'adeos'. ;)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Sprocket » September 2nd, 2016, 2:58 pm

I may have mentioned this before, but...
In 1997, during what the Guardian dubbed "weird week", between the death of Princess Di(e) and her burial, I switched on the radio in the middle of the news, and heard "...the Vatican has announced that at least five years must pass before she can be considered for canonisation". I thought "Oh FFS! This is getting ridiculous!", but it turned out they were talking about Mother T., who died a day or two after Di.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » September 2nd, 2016, 6:38 pm

I think she died on the same day as the late Princess, Sprocket.
Anyway, we digress from M. T's proposed canonisation.
Lyn

Postby Val » September 3rd, 2016, 3:51 pm

Regardless of her critics and there are many; and apart from her supposedly baptising dying children without permission, and the many many other issues that she was involved in.
Apart from all that she died as she lived helping the poorest of the poor

The Indian government (no lovers of Catholicism) awarded her their highest honour begrudgingly given to their most revered political figures a State Funeral and some years previous awarded her the Bharat Ratan their highest award for a civilian.

Almost all civilized countries have given her some form of reward so she must have done something right, at least she got off her arse and tried, albeit in the only way she knew, through her religion.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Lyn » September 3rd, 2016, 9:43 pm

Val: "...at least she got off her arse and tried, albeit in the only way she knew, through her religion."

Agree with that.
Lyn

Next

Return to In depth