A religion of peace

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

A religion of peace

Postby Val » December 13th, 2016, 8:15 pm

A look at Islam through a fictional tale by writer Matthew Bracken, Mike a 60 year old iron worker pissed off when a “supposedly” art display at a modern gallery in NY portrays a crucifix inside a jar of urine as art, this art is about to be unveiled at 10:00am Monday, objections to the Mayor or City officials via a radio station are fobbed off as cranks, they are told that this art is freedom of expression, he wonders why Christians never do anything about sacrilegious art, anyway early Monday morning he climbs up 30 floors to the platform jib of a builders crane, overlooking the art gallery, he has with him a Koran and what appears to be a bucket of urine he calls the radio station with TV links and threatens to dip the Koran in this urine on live TV if the gallery opens that sacrilegious display.

I hope you find it as interesting as I did

Serialised here in four parts http://gatesofvienna.net/2016/06/piss-c ... -part-one/

Readable and printable version here http://chromatism.net/current/pisschristpisskoran.htm
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Re: A religion of peace

Postby Pondero » December 13th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Marshall McLuhan said The medium is the message , he also said.

Art is anything you can get away with.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 14th, 2016, 2:52 am

A very interesting story Val, I read all of it which took some time. It could possibly happen but the Muslims would all have to be fanatics to do so. I am not sure every Muslim is a fanatic, but the lukewarm could very well be inspired in an evil way by a fanatical Islamist. The same as some good Germans believed in Nazism under Hitler.
Over time if we keep out the radicals we may have a peaceful co-existence.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby GregB » December 14th, 2016, 8:05 am

I read it all, too. It's a bit long winded but makes its basic point about the real nature of Islam and the Koran within a fictional narrative framework.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Return to In depth