Catholic sex scandal in Australia continues

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Catholic sex scandal in Australia continues

Postby Val » February 12th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Will the smell and stink of rottenness ever go away?
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comme ... 41688.html

Australia, 7% of Catholic priests and over 20% of Christian Brothers and other such catholic organisations are paedophiles, that a fact.
Even the nuns and those workers in orphanages and homes for the unmarried mothers were cruel in the extreme.
But the numbers are much higher; and go much deeper into the heart of the Vatican where many of the perpetrators and those guilty of covering up the rottenness are in hiding.
For centuries the so-called revered church hid this depravity from their followers and anyone who spoke out or tried to get help were ostracised and if they went deeper they were excommunicated.
That’s the strange thing that in all this not one of the offending scumbag clergy or their likewise scumbag protecting bishops were excommunicated.
The change is slow in coming but in Francis we can see an honesty that was never before witnessed in a Pope, hopefully he will have the time in good health to clean out the cesspit
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Re: Catholic sex scandal in Australia continues

Postby Lyn » February 12th, 2017, 3:08 pm

This is both horrendous and sad, Val. What is more, nothing surprises me any more. Couldn't open the link btw but will look on 'net.

I was thinking earlier today (prompted by something else), that people of my generation - and I am 67 - lived in a culture of cover up. Not necessarily the Church but all sorts of organisations including the police, local politicians (eg councillors, mayor etc), large firms, sports organisations. I did actually meet someone years ago who had been in a kids' home somewhere in the countryside and the staff and local senior police had an arrangement! Won't go into details now because I find it distressing but nobody cared and, if one of the youngsters had complained, who would have believed?

Similar happened in the Cyril Smith area.

In large firms there was abuse, though not against minors but still it happened with naive young people, and it was covered up.

Children and young people, especially youngsters who had been in any sort of trouble or had no family to back them up, were just not cared about. Most people could not get their heads around such things; sexual abuse was something that happened and got into the news occasionally if a child was abducted, eg on way home from school or similar, but not concerning people of 'standing', so kids were not believed.

I saw a film the other night which was, apparently, quite a shocking film back in the 1970s though I hadn't seen it, called "Scum", which was about a boys' borstal, based on true stories, and it was horrendous; indeed, I found it difficult to stomach, especially the rapes (Ray Winstone played a young offender).

So nothing at all surprising.

People of our parents' generation could not comprehend child sexual abuse and were intimidated by those in authority if they were of a higher social standing and better educated.

I saw, and learned, of this sort of thing first hand. I spent two years in an Approved School from 1966-68, no such place nowadays but was was something between a childrens' home and a borstal for teenagers who were considered in moral danger but hadn't committed crimes, because I was deemed to be 'in need of care and protection'; it was run by Good Shepherd nuns.

Very upsetting.

From what I have learned in the media, Australia appears to have been a couple of years at least behind us in the UK regarding such things. A lot of it in the 'Bible Belt' -
there was, and is, is a big so-called 'Bible Belt' in Australia, similar to the USA. Suggest anyone watches 'Love Child', Ch4, about a mother-and-baby home in Australia which was a series, set in late 1960s, with the background of the Vietnam war to which Australians were conscripted, with true stories.

I have no difficulty in imagining paedophiles using a dog collar or similar to hide behind and joining any organisation which gave them access to kids.

Anyway, enough from me.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 12th, 2017, 4:52 pm

The change is slow in coming but in Francis we can see an honesty that was never before witnessed in a Pope, hopefully he will have the time in good health to clean out the cesspit.

He will not. Val.

. People of our parents' generation could not comprehend child sexual abuse and were intimidated by those in authority if they were of a higher social standing and better educated

Quite true Lyn.

Anyone from. Australia have a comment?
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby different glory » February 17th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Not exactly a comment. We both, SP and I, are well aware of this vile business, but really, what is there to say? None of us here would have any other opinion than that it is and has been, and in places, in some people, continues to be a despicable betrayal of the duty of care for vulnerable children.
There has been (and in places, continues to be) a breathtaking lack of shame and repentance.
That's about all there is to say. That the shame falls most heavily on the Roman Catholic denomination is evident, but I don't think it's useful, or kind to members of that denomination to bang on about that. In any case, all churches (and non-Christian faiths too) which have built-in power differentials have cases of this sort.
May we all be aware of the vulnerabilities of children around us, and be brave enough to risk looking like idiots by raising concerns, if we see something which nudges us to do so.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » February 17th, 2017, 10:43 pm

That seems to be happening now, dg, thank goodness.
Too late for some victims but it is still an excellent move in the right direction.

(And innit nice to have dg posting on a thread.)
Lyn

Postby Lyn » February 17th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Further to what I said above, the downside to the public's increased awareness of vigilance is lack of trust in practically everybody.

Who, nowadays, would admit to wanting to be a Scout Leader, to work in a childrens' home, run a youth centre? Many other things too never mind clergy or people who work for a church. They'd have to face a degree of ridicule and be terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » February 20th, 2017, 11:25 pm

I was thinking about this thread. Val posted it to highlight "Another lot", which was fair enough, it could have been anywhere in the world.

Pondy and I were unfair asking for comments from anyone from Australia because it's not an Australian problem, it's universal. No-one has asked me, as an English person, for comments about such things in England - or Scotland, Wales and NI - and there have been plenty of cases!
So, apologies from me to dg and sp. It was insensitive and unthinking, which go hand in hand, to draw you out just because you are Australian.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 22nd, 2017, 11:29 am

Speak only for yourself Lyn .
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 22nd, 2017, 5:49 pm

Well Pondy, you did say, "Anyone from. Australia have a comment?", which I followed up by suggesting dg have a look at the thread. I thought we both spoke off the top of our heads, if we'd thought a bit more we wouldn't have said it because sex scandals are across the board.

However, I was speaking for myself when I said in my last post, "So, apologies from me to dg and sp."
Lyn

Postby Ishy » February 25th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Horrendous doesn't cover it.
But the fact so many false teaching exist.

No on can take away the salvation of Christ from another no one person had that power.

People should have kicked up a fuss not remained quiet. I fear those children frightened into silence.

It is horrendous that any child suffered at the hand of those who were wolves in sheep's clothing.

The best thing anyone could do is come out of the Roman Catholic Church and lean to Christ alone.
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Next

Return to In depth