Catholic sex scandal in Australia continues

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Catholic sex scandal in Australia continues

Postby Lyn » February 25th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I think, after things started to come to light, most people wanted to change the way things were from within the Church and that has gradually been happening, thank goodness.

It was a long era of silences and cover ups in all sorts of organisations, not just churches.

Kids are more aware now of what is and isn't appropriate; they are listened to and have rights which they used not to have.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 25th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Ishy wrote:Horrendous doesn't cover it.
But the fact so many false teaching exist.

No on can take away the salvation of Christ from another no one person had that power.

People should have kicked up a fuss not remained quiet. I fear those children frightened into silence.

It is horrendous that any child suffered at the hand of those who were wolves in sheep's clothing.

The best thing anyone could do is come out of the Roman Catholic Church and lean to Christ alone.

Now, with all due respect Ishy, which is more than you are giving me for my beliefs .It is not the teaching of the Catholic Church that caused the sexual attacks on the young.As has been pointed out by others, both religious and of no particular religion on this board, other churches and other religious and secular organizations have had similar disgusting offences on their young too, no less than that done in the Catholic Church.
It is the evil in the men themselves, perhaps because of the temptations and power given to them in certain large organizational structures that the Catholic Church has. I am not excusing the bishops who covered up or the men themselves.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 1st, 2017, 11:30 am

I wasn't going to return to this thread but as this topic has been in the news so much over the past few days, I felt like commenting.
It has nothing to do with Catholicism but is to do with paedophiles who use their religion/work as a cover. We've seen plenty of it here across the board.

Val, I first heard of the Australian business years ago and remember that Barnardo's were heavily involved in the transportation but that organisation is now at the forefront of exposing perpetrators and fighting for compensation for victims which is good.

I sincerely hope the victims get some closure.

When I read the stories, years ago and more recently, I was horrified that young kids were transported across the world, told they would have a 'better life', and then enslaved and virtually lost. Quite honestly, society didn't care at all about kids in those days; if they had no family who cared, they were expendable. Who would know, even if they died?

Over here we've had similar in childrens' home in various parts of the UK.

It's all very distressing.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 1st, 2017, 6:01 pm

I notice that Val wishes to bring out the scandals of other nations and does not talk too much about the scandals earlier in Ireland,
Ireland had similar scandals to that in Australia years ago, but I am not going to talk about that here, even if what I am going to say ttoday is a little off,topic.
Now the Irish government allowed same sex marriage back a couple of years ago.Has anyone wondered why this former bastion of the Church could have allowed this to happen. Well, I'll tell you. It is because no sermons have been preached on sexual morality for years, since the seventies. Now, the Irish out of habit always listen to their bishops , and if their.bishops don't speak out against moral decadence, who will. This is exactly what happened regarding sexual sins, fornication, adultery, and artificial contraception.
When the people voted to allow same sex marriage in Ireland only one Bishop *was totally opposed to it, and in his diocese the people voted not to allow same sex marriage. Other bishops were ambiguous in the matter.
Just want to clear this up with Val, about getting rid of the mote in his own eye before moving on to Australia.

*Bishop of the diocese of Elphin.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 1st, 2017, 6:38 pm

Val only mentioned the Catholic sex scandal in Australia because it is current news; indeed, one cannot read a paper or turn on the TV news without it being mentioned.

He has frequently mentioned the Catholic sex scandals in Ireland and you have seen and responded to what he has said, many times.

As for the 'off topic' things you have mentioned, I suggest you start another thread about those if you think it is worthwhile to do so.

(In the meantime, I am still awaiting the axe to fall on my neck following your complaint about me.)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 1st, 2017, 9:25 pm

No.What I did, was press the button Lyn registering a complaint about the cockroach post of yours, and I was given a few reasons , and had to pick one to justify my complaint, I picked one which said it was off topic, there was nothing on the screen to indicate it was disgusting, which it was.
I have heard nothing since. I take it that this board is not monitored.

As for the Australian scandal, I had not heard of it until Val mentioned it.It was not front page news here.
What I wrote last about the lack of good Catholic teaching in Ireland is not true in Canada, or the United States.
In this respect only, Our bishops would speak out about same sex marriage etc, which they didn't do in Ireland.. with one exception.
Any way the axe will not fall on you Lyn.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 1st, 2017, 10:20 pm

Sally does monitor and respond to complaints but fair enough we'll leave that for now. I'm not bothered about being reprimanded if she sees it your way, life goes on.

I'm not really surprised the subject of this thread hasn't been in the news in Canada and can understand why. It features so prominently here because the kids were British, transported from UK to Australia. There is a public enquiry going on here at the moment about it. So really it is foreign news for anyone not in the UK (or Aus).

Edit: Here are details. I haven't looked at the video clips but read the article which is harrowing. The particular issue which is the topic of this thread is only one section of the enquiry into abuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39099778
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 3rd, 2017, 8:05 pm

The offending post has been quietly removed, not a word about cockroaches.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 3rd, 2017, 10:53 pm

All's well that ends well. I would have removed it if you hadn't officially complained but once you did, it would have been wrong of me to do that. Anyway, no hard feelings Pondero.

(Do you know what, I composed a good post last night and lost it;! I intended to rewrite it today but now can't remember what thread was concerned :roll: . It could have been this one. Not to worry, the conversation has moved on, I probably wasn't going to say anything new.)
Lyn

Postby Val » October 17th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Pondero wrote:
As for the Australian scandal, I had not heard of it until Val mentioned it.It was not front page news here.
What I wrote last about the lack of good Catholic teaching in Ireland is not true in Canada, or the United States.
In this respect only, Our bishops would speak out about same sex marriage etc, which they didn't do in Ireland.. with one exception.
Any way the axe will not fall on you Lyn.

I just read this again during a quiet moment and wonder why I did not respond last March.
But no matter.
You say lack of good catholic teaching in Ireland .........well have a read of the following

By the way this is not fake news, it is the truth for anyone to check for themselves

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4003967/r ... -scandals/

This only covered six countries including the US and Canada but we can use all the letters of the alphabet starting with Austria to show how widespread the abuse and rape of children went

This is not about sex between consenting adults, or same sex marriage but the rape of innocent children that the Catholic Church covered up for hundreds of years

In August 2005
Pope Benedict was personally accused in a lawsuit of conspiring to cover up the molestation of three boys in Texas by Juan Carlos Patino-Arango in Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. He sought and obtained immunity from prosecution as head of state of the Holy See.[198] The Department of State "recognize[d] and allow[ed] the immunity of Pope Benedict from this suit."[199] See pope#International position for information on head-of-state immunity of a pope.

The cover went to the very heart of the church
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

PreviousNext

Return to In depth