Catholicism and Islam - how similar

The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner.
Forum rules
The place to debate matters of faith and religion in a more rigorous manner. Differing perspectives from both Christians and non-Christians are actively welcomed, but contributors should come prepared to justify their opinions and beliefs, while showing due respect to the views of others.

Re: Catholicism and Islam - how similar

Postby Lyn » March 10th, 2017, 7:34 pm

To me, the biggest problem in Ireland was the hold the Church had over the people and the fact that clergy (& nuns, Heaven preserve us!), had so much power. From that pov, it was certainly far worse in Ireland than here.

However unmarried mothers had a very hard time here too, they seemed to have no rights and could be 'placed' wherever the charities, middle class type social workers and sometimes their parents, saw fit.

The CofE did 'Churching' too, it went out of fashion in the 1960s. When it was explained to me, it didn't seem to be about sin but about having time to get over birth, physically, and then giving thanks for that recovery.

It was a sawn off version of the purification ritual Jewish women went through a few weeks after giving birth - still do in many Jewish communities. They have no physical contact with men, don't prepare food until after this is done. They are thoroughly looked after for a few weeks and Jewish women tend to look upon that as a precious time.

I've never asked but imagine Muslims have similar. I know Hindus do.

Most others have left all those traditions behind.

Return to In depth