Religious persecution

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Religious persecution

Postby Lyn » June 8th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Well maybe. It could be the "thin end of the wedge" as they say. I just can't see any of us in the Western world as being persecuted for faith or for no faith.
Makes me glad to be a British citizen and, for you, a Canadian and British citizen.

No need to bow out of the discussion, your opinions are as valid as anyone else's. It is the nature of a forum that not everyone will agree with you Pondy but you are entitled to say what you think and obviously this issue is important to you.

We could have a whole different thread about faith state schools. I would be reluctant to start one because my only child left school halfway through the Vlth form and is now 32, but he did for a while go to a Christian school (up to 11+ which he took a year early) - which took members of other faiths, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim etc, so am not up to date with how faith schools are run these days. I do know, from being a Catholic, that parents jumped through hoops to get their kids into the local Catholic school. However I don't know what these schools are like now.
Last edited by Lyn on June 8th, 2012, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Postby different glory » June 8th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Pondy, I don't think the starter of a thread "owns" the thread or the discussion. So don't stop posting on my personal account.

And yes, VP, re the persecuted of other faiths. (Amen.)

I also tend to pray for those persecuted for justice' sake (as mentioned in the Beatitudes) those who are imprisoned for speaking out for truth and justice, whether they adhere to a faith or not.

(I'm a slow writer! While i was writing that, VP has posted. :) )
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » June 8th, 2012, 2:33 pm

When we hear repeatedly of Muslim persecution of Christians, I sometimes wonder if we ever bother to try and visualise the reality of what is happening. Here below is a video of a Tunisian convert to Christianity being executed by Islamists (the context is a Tunisian news programme whose host deplores the action - see the summary below the video frame for details, especially if you don't want to see it.). He is held down, like a lamb to the slaughter (apt comparison in a Christian context), while his executioners intone Muslim incantations. His head is then slowly sliced off and then held aloft in one of the most grisly, harrowing scenes I have ever seen. I'm sure most here are too squeamish to watch it (fair enough) but please do remember that this is the true face of Islam ('apostates from the faith must be killed' according to the Koran) as practised in the Muslim heartlands.

Please do not be fooled by educated 'liberal' Muslims in our societies who will show you round their mosques and try to convince you that Islam is a religion of peace. These people are not in the least representative of the true face of a vicious, violent, mediaeval religion of conquest and subjugation (not to mention a half-baked mish-mash of Judaism and Christianity) which is now on the march again. Choose what you want to believe about them - and accept the consequences of a wrong, misguided choice.

The poor man in this video is undoubtedly one of the martyrs who died for his faith and will now be at rest in Christ. Those who inflicted this terrible death on him will, in turn, receive their just desserts - and it won't be paradise.

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/06/06/musl ... n-tunisia/

(Again, be warned, the images are sickeningly shocking.)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Pondero » June 9th, 2012, 9:30 am

I saw the video Greg and I wish I hadn't.It haunts me.Imagine what is going on in Syria today. And to think I was less than a half days bus ride from such places last month.
The Muslims are particularly difficult to convert to Christianity because they think their religion is the latest true thing since Christianity started, say the Christian missionaries I have read about.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 9th, 2012, 11:18 am

On Pg15, different glory wrote:On looking for further info re Aasia Bibi, I see there are a couple of Facebook pages following her case. However, I can't access it. Can someone who can, check it out, and say if there is any recent news? The address is:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-Asia ... 1087821941

(Aasia Bibi is the form of the name which I first heard - there are variant spellings of Aasia, and also the name "Noreen".)

Hi different glory. I've just had a look. The last post about Asia is dated 23rd April. I've reproduced it below...

Free Asia Noreen Bibi wrote:Asia Bibi was visited by her husband, Ashiq, on March 6. When Asia inquired after her two young daughters, Ashiq told her that the children were healthy and doing well in school.
He said, "Yesterday when we had family prayer, I asked the children what they were praying for. They said, 'We are praying for those people who are helping us and who are trying to release our Mama.'"
Thank you for your part praying and advocating on behalf of Asia Bibi and her family. Keep those prayers coming!
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 9th, 2012, 11:30 am

On Pg15, different glory wrote:A suicide bombing at a church in Nigeria, yesterday; at least twelve dead, and others injured.

This news has been understandably overshadowed by the plane crash on the same day in the same country, but is another chapter in the worsening situation of the churches there.

Those who know more than I do are not sure whether what is going on is simple vindictive and malicious attacking of Christians as Christians, or whether it is agent provocateur type action, designed to provoke defensive aggression, and thus be an excuse for all-out attacks. It is the second slaughter in the last several weeks -- on April 29, fifteen worshippers were killed, not in a church, but in a university building being used for worship at the time.

Lord, have mercy.

For the highlighted point, this link may be of help?

Nigeria: al-Qaeda-linked group gives Christians 3-day deadline

I've been praying this year into their strategy of trying to intimidate the Christians in the North of Nigeria to leave the area. Their goal is to impose Shari'a Law
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 9th, 2012, 11:40 am

Victoria Plum wrote:I understand yours and your wife's frustration at the difficulty in getting your point across, along with the few other hundred Catholics who feel as you do, Pondy, but that is hardly religious persecution.

To be honest Victoria, I am seeing (therefore praying into) two aspects of religious persecution.

Physical: Christians suffering at the hands of persecution, particularly in what has been coined the 10-30 window (the numbers refer to lines of latitude). Of particular note has been the increasing persecution of Christians at the hands of Islamic adherents, of which GregB and others have been providing regular updates.

Psychological: What I believe we are seeing more and more of in the West (UK, USA and Canada in particular). Here's the enemy's No.1 strategy is to use a human rights agenda based on secular humanist values. In particular, homosexuality is being used, having the affect of forcing Christians to choose between the law of the land and the law of God (see for example what Daniel had to face in Daniel Chapter 6, and consider the latest attempts both here in the UK and in the USA to redefine marriage). It may not be a life-or-death situation, but it will test Christians as to do we really know what we believe and will we stand by it if it will cost us our jobs, for example.
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Sprocket » June 9th, 2012, 12:03 pm

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote: I am seeing (therefore praying into) two aspects of religious persecution.
"Praying into"? What horrible, trendy pervesion of the English language is this? If you mean "praying about", please say so.

Psychological: What I believe we are seeing more and more of in the West (UK, USA and Canada in particular). Here's the enemy's No.1 strategy is to use a human rights agenda based on secular humanist values. In particular, homosexuality is being used, having the affect of forcing Christians to choose between the law of the land and the law of God (see for example what Daniel had to face in Daniel Chapter 6, and consider the latest attempts both here in the UK and in the USA to redefine marriage). It may not be a life-or-death situation, but it will test Christians as to do we really know what we believe and will we stand by it if it will cost us our jobs, for example.[/list]
No-one is forcing anyone to approve of homosexual marriage, or churches to perform it. If you want to disapprove of it and have nothing to do with it, that's your privilege, but why should everyone else have your values forced on them? I'm a Christian too, and I'm for it.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby different glory » June 9th, 2012, 2:38 pm

I haven't had the courage to look at your video, Greg. I hope I can have the courage to do something to support those suffering. :(

Thanks for the info, SoS. The very fact that there are lots of references to Aasia Bibi on the internet is probably contributing to keeping her alive. The story in your link re the three-day deadline is important to be aware of.

I think the "10-30" phrase is not very useful -- it's a shorthand which discourages people from genuinely thinking through what are the factors which lead to persecution, allowing them a slipshod supposition that geoographical position is part of it. What is religious persecution and what is simply war or land-grabbing or psychopathy, with a "religious" cloak? For instance, when Serbian Orthodox massacred Bosnian Muslims (at a latitude of 44 degrees North) was it a religious persecution? ("No", is the answer I'm suggesting.) Also, the 10-30 line leaves out most of Afghanistan, and a good bit of Pakistan -- and includes quite a lot of my own country, Australia! I don't think a diversion into talking about homosexuality will help this thread about persecution, and especially, I don't think slinging off at human rights is helpful.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » June 9th, 2012, 6:09 pm

I agree with Sprocks and dg.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Stick