What is morality?

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: What is morality?

Postby Pondero » March 27th, 2012, 12:16 pm

It will keep prostitution off the streets,but being safer is debatable as the prostitutes will still be drug addicted and under the control of their pimps. Likely, it will increase prostitution, not decrease it, as it may appear safe and attract more people into the sordid business. Clients will now know where to find them, and the market will increase.

I agree with you that pub meals have improved over the years, and I did read that many pubs have closed due to lack of business.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » March 27th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Pondero wrote:In today's National Post there is an article entitled BOOZED -UP BRITAIN, together with a photo of a woman lying on the street during a night out in Newcastle,Northern England. ,apparently an astounding 40% of patients admitted to UK emergency rooms have some kind of alcohol-related ailment.
From the emergency room to the football riot, the UK has become the land of round-the-clock,blitzed-out, stomach-evacuating inebriation. So writes Afsun Qureshi, in London,UK.

It hasn't become it, it's always been it. We keep getting the more sensible drinking culture of Mediterranean countries held up as an ideal to copy, but, as someone pointed out in an article somewhere a while ago, the English have been drinking with the deliberate intention of getting drunk since before the Norman Conquest, and we're not likely to change now.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby different glory » June 1st, 2015, 7:02 am

Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought I'd put this link on this old one.

an academic philosopher puts forward an argument that morality necessarily implies a God.
(Note: a God, nothing more specific than that.)

Convincing? Comments?
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » June 2nd, 2015, 6:57 am

Still thinking about this one... :scratch:
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 2nd, 2015, 6:21 pm

different glory wrote:Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought I'd put this link on this old one.

an academic philosopher puts forward an argument that morality necessarily implies a God.
(Note: a God, nothing more specific than that.)

Convincing? Comments?

Will study in more detail, but a quick comment for now. Compare

Take moral commands. It is trivially true that a moral command is a command. A command is a command, right? It is also true that commands (real ones, rather than apparent or metaphorical ones) are always the commands of an agent, a mind with beliefs and desires. My chair cannot command me to sit in it. And commands cannot issue themselves. It follows that moral commands are the commands of an agent or agents.

with e.g. Romans 2 v 14-15:
14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

and who defined the law?
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Pondero » June 4th, 2015, 1:48 pm

The question is one of those transcendental questions that cannot be answered, like Zeno's Paradox.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Previous

Return to Talking Stick