The Sandra Fluke Controversy.

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: The Sandra Fluke Controversy.

Postby Lyn » March 18th, 2012, 4:18 pm

They are all right showers picking on, and misrepresenting, ordinary young girls.
Lindbaugh might well have apologised for calling Sandra Fluke a slut - but that led to people thinking she was a whore (it wouldn't in this country, no comparison). Was the apology sufficent? I think he should eat his words. She was entitled to suggest something, like it or not. It took guts. We have a certain amount of free contraception in this country, thank God.
Lyn

Postby Erminehead » March 19th, 2012, 11:32 am

It's worth noting that Limbaugh only apologised when advertisers started leaving his radio show in droves, making his crocodile tears money driven.

He's something of whore really, is he not?

E
"In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."
Eric Hoffer
Erminehead

Postby Lyn » March 19th, 2012, 12:24 pm

He certainly doesn't come over very well but what politician does, when you scratch the surface?
Lyn

Postby Bev » March 20th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Erminehead wrote:It's worth noting that Limbaugh only apologised when advertisers started leaving his radio show in droves, making his crocodile tears money driven.

E

:good: And it irks me to no end that many religious conservatives here in American just love him. :x Anyway, I listened to her speech on youtube, and no where does she say anything anywhere near what you quoted her as saying in your OP Pondero. We may not agree with someone's moral decisions, but there is never a true justification for literally misquoting someone in order to makes ones point.

Sandra Fluke's address to Congress

As a result of this recent news story, I heard one news commentator mention how interesting it is one never hears a similar outcry against mandatory coverage for medications prescribed to men for ED. It would be interesting to find out whether Georgetown University's insurance would refuse a man coverage for this.
Bev

Postby Val » March 20th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Bev wrote:
Erminehead wrote:It's worth noting that Limbaugh only apologised when advertisers started leaving his radio show in droves, making his crocodile tears money driven.

E

:good: And it irks me to no end that many religious conservatives here in American just love him. :x Anyway, I listened to her speech on youtube, and no where does she say anything anywhere near what you quoted her as saying in your OP Pondero. We may not agree with someone's moral decisions, but there is never a true justification for literally misquoting someone in order to makes ones point.

Sandra Fluke's address to Congress

As a result of this recent news story, I heard one news commentator mention how interesting it is one never hears a similar outcry against mandatory coverage for medications prescribed to men for ED. It would be interesting to find out whether Georgetown University's insurance would refuse a man coverage for this.

Hi Bev, Very true, she was totally misquoted here on Thads and by that crass misogynist Limbaugh who then tries to wheedle his way out by apologising; but only when advertisers pull the plug on his show.

IMO far too many religionists believe they are on some high moral ground just because they have a religious label or that they attend religious meetings regularly and that somehow this gives them some right to censure or castigate somebody because they think or behave differently

And you are right on the issue regarding men sexual matters, would Limbaugh or his ilk be so vehement against men getting free access to medicine or devices to aid ED or some other sexual dysfunction, and why should it be up to the woman to provide contraceptives and why should she be labelled prostitute after all you cannot have a thriving prostitution business if you don’t have the myriads of men leaving their supposed high moral ground to partake of these sexual favours
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Pondero » March 20th, 2012, 4:40 pm

I don't know why everyone is so sympathetic towards this arrogant Fluke, who has the audacity to get enrolled as a law student at a Catholic University with the desired intent of changing Catholic policy on birth control, a law degree is a secondary consideration for her. She ought to be expelled from Georgetown University.Who does she think she is the first woman Pope?
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Bev » March 20th, 2012, 5:15 pm

I'm less sympathetic to Flukes point than I am very much against taking anyone's comments out of context to perpetuate ones own strong views. The latter is terrible by every moral and ethical definition!

Having said that, and after listening to her entire address as I linked in my last post, I tend to agree with her. Both my sister and I had to take birth control, even though we were married, and my poor sister really wanted kids, because of health issues. With her, she had endometriosis so badly she ended up having radical surgery at 33 that ended forever her hope of ever having biological children. I was better off, but I was only dealing with polycystic disease that did land me in the hospital at the early age of 19. I would have been quite incapacitated with pain and discomfort had the doctor not prescribed the pill to me until I was ready to have a child.

I just think it's more important to not sacrifice women who truly need contraception as a prescribed treatment for some very painful conditions than it is to use the insurance companies to police morality in such a way.
Bev

Postby Pondero » March 20th, 2012, 5:26 pm

I don't think the Obama administration should make Catholic institutions pay the cost of contraceptives used by their employees or those to whom the institution gives aid who are not Catholic.
In Australia very recently a woman died as a consequence of taking the abortifiscient pill RU486.
Also, it is possible to buy contraceptives for less than $200 at Walmart and Target, enough (I read )to supply a woman for three years.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Bev » March 20th, 2012, 5:50 pm

I thought the pill requires a prescription from a doctor. Here it does.

On your other point, I'm not sure Georgetown is paying specifically for anything except health-care coverage. I'd have to look into it to see if their cost goes down because the particular insurance company with which they a partnered does not cover birth control.

Here, unfortunately, we're seeing more and more insurance companies withholding coverage. In my own case, the insurance company refused to fill the more expensive triptan my neurologist ordered, literally overriding the doctor's prescription. I'm hearing other stories about the insurance company more and more refusing to fill prescriptions patients have been prescribed for years without issue. This is particularly noticeable with cancer patients.

But, the premiums we pay continue to go up. So, I'm inclined to believe, at least for the insurance company involved here, they could care less about the moral issue, and they care much more about just one more excuse to get the same premium per person and the right to provide less and less for that premium.
Bev

Postby Pondero » March 20th, 2012, 7:04 pm

MELBOURNE, March 19, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) - It is the first known death in Australia from the controversial pill, which was the centre of a heated debate in Federal Parliament in 2006, and more recently a criminal trial involving a young couple in the courts of Queensland.

The woman died in 2010 from sepsis - that is, a severe bacterial infection in the bloodstream - several days after being prescribed the drug, otherwise known as mifepristone, from a Marie Stopes International Australia (MSIA) clinic.

The news reached the public after the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) - Australia’s government agency responsible for approving drugs - issued a notice to RU486 prescribers advising them to take a more active role in following-up with patients who are issued the drug.

The TGA and MSIA, claiming respect for patient confidentiality, have not released any details of the circumstances of the woman’s death.

The case was reported to a coroner, but no inquest was convened
John Lennox
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Stick