Mary Had a Little Lamb

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Mary Had a Little Lamb

Postby Liz » May 11th, 2012, 3:06 pm

I was just sent this poem through a chain-email type thing (I never forward them, not even Sacred Spam ;) ) but I did think this had an interesting message:

Mary had a little lamb,
His fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went,
The Lamb was sure to go.
He followed her to school one day
Twasn't even in the rule.
He made the children laugh and play
To have the Lamb in school.
And then the rules all changed one day,
Illegal it became;
To bring the Lamb of God to school
Or even speak His name.
Everyday got worse and worse
And days turned into years.
Instead of hearing children laugh,
We heard gunshots and tears.
What must we do to stop the crime
That's in our schools today?
Let's let the Lamb come back to school
And teach our kids to pray!
Liz

Re: Mary Had a Little Lamb

Postby Pondero » May 11th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Probably a lot of truth in it Liz. Only yesterday afternoon at 3 pm. A man was shot four times in the chest in broad daylight, and once in the face at Dundas St. and Scarlett Road, a very busy area for traffic, lots of witnesses but so far no arrests. Two black men passed one witness ( who was on TV) and he saw the two men pass him, then after what was fire cracker shots to which he paid little attention the two men ran passed him. He went to the aid of the victim, tried a pulse on his neck and wrist and there was none, his eyes were opened a little bit, and he turned him over on his back and undid his shirt, to show four bullet wounds. There was no sign of life. He did originally call 911 on his cell phone for the police and the fire engine arrived within six minutes followed by the police. The man was obviously dead, as the fire men could not revive him and they put him in a body bag. That is about 1.5kms from the mayor of Toronto's house and 2.3 kms from my house. It is frightening as that intersection I pass frequently as is very close to the Lambton Golf and Country Club. There are old apartments in the vicinity of the shooting and I believe it is somehow connected to that location, as people have been shot there before.

Runnymede Collegiate is nearby and it was school closing time,but I don't know the age of the victim or the perps.They may not have been school kids.
So far no arrests. There were none last time either!
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Re: Mary Had a Little Lamb

Postby Bev » May 11th, 2012, 4:03 pm

This made me want to read the original again. I found it here.

The preacher at our church talked years ago about the Supreme Court decision here to overturn prayer and bible reading in school. He argued why it was actually good for true Christianity by allowing only church and home to be the place where children learn about their faith.

The sad thing is many children might never otherwise be exposed to the Bible or prayer. It still doesn't stop Christians from talking to friends about their faith, which is how Jesus originally intended his gospel to be spread.
Bev

Return to Talking Stick