Catholic Church comes out on the side of child abusers

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Catholic Church comes out on the side of child abusers

Postby Phil » May 27th, 2012, 12:55 pm

just shaking my head in bewilderment
Phil

Postby patjoseph » May 27th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Phil wrote:just shaking my head in bewilderment

So do I Phil especially after recent history, compassion seems to be completely missing.
BTW How are you, long time no see :wave:
patjoseph

Postby Sprocket » May 27th, 2012, 5:37 pm

I'm sure Pondy will be able to provide us with an explanation as to why the church acted absolutely correctly. :roll:
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » May 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Pondy isn't the only one. A very reasonable Catholic on another forum also thought the child should have had the baby and apparently his wife (his wife! A woman who has had children and knows what that entails) said, "Well, she could have had a Caesarian", as if that made nine months of pregnancy any easier for a nine year old child. It is disgusting. Then what would have happened to the baby? Would the family keep it or would he or she have been farmed out for adoption by who knows what kind of people, and would they know the child was conceived from rape?

It's an old story but I am surprised it has reared its head again and that the powers that be have made those comments, far better to just leave it alone. In any case, the excommunication should have been a private matter (not that I believe any of those involved should have been excommunicated), and this should have been kept private for the sake of the girl involved, though obviously her stepfather had to be dealt with through the courts.

It beggars belief. There aren't many of us here who would let a daughter, even a bit older than a nine year old (say 12 or 13) go through with a pregnancy.

This is a case of sticking to the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law. Thankfully most Catholics will also be shaking their heads at this statement.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » May 28th, 2012, 10:21 pm

This happened over three years ago.What are your motives for bringing it up?
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » May 28th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Sprocket wrote:I'm sure Pondy will be able to provide us with an explanation as to why the church acted absolutely correctly. :roll:

No explanation is necessary.The Church's position is well known to all who contribute to this forum.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Pondero » May 29th, 2012, 12:32 am

Phil wrote:just shaking my head in bewilderment

So am I,but, probably for different reasons!
Pondero

Postby patjoseph » May 29th, 2012, 6:07 am

Pondero wrote:
Sprocket wrote:I'm sure Pondy will be able to provide us with an explanation as to why the church acted absolutely correctly. :roll:

No explanation is necessary.The Church's position is well known to all who contribute to this forum.

Yes, the churches position seems to be that child abuse isn't that bad!
patjoseph

Postby Lyn » May 29th, 2012, 9:03 am

I don't follow the logic of that pat and must admit that the title of the thread made me think there had been some new pronouncement following investigation into child abuse by clergy.

Then I read the thread and remembered the issue, which we discussed on here (and other forums) at the time. I've only just looked at the date of your link from the Independent and seen that it is from 2009. Until this morning I had assumed, again, a new row had blown up about it.

It's horrible, and wrong, but it is old news and though I believe the clergy involved in that case were flawed in their judgement, it doesn't show that they come out on the side of child abusers and certainly not on the side of the stepfather who abused the little girl.
Lyn

Return to Talking Stick