Muslim persecution of Christians

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Religious persecution

Postby GregB » May 18th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Here's Raymond Ibrahim's April report on Muslim persecution of Christians:

http://www.raymondibrahim.com/11713/mus ... april-2012
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 11th, 2012, 7:47 am

Nigerian churches targeted in Sunday attacks

Boko Haram has been blamed for hundreds of killings in bomb or gun attacks over the past two years, and it is increasingly choosing targets over an ever wider area of northern Nigeria.

The group began as a local militia targeting people who broke strict Islamic regulations such as drinking alcohol But it recently linked with al-Qaeda's franchise in West Africa, al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, and appears to have taken on far more ambitious aims, including ridding northern Nigeria of Christians.

More: Nigerian churches targeted in Sunday attacks (The Telegraph)
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby GregB » June 14th, 2012, 7:34 am

Increasing persecution of Christians in Iran

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/ira ... 47184.html
(The article continues after the advertisement in the middle.)

A quote from a colleague of the writer of the article:
"The persecution of Christians in numerous Muslim-majority countries is the most important international story not being told by the mainstream media.”
This is a point constantly made by, among others, Raymond Ibrahim, whose monthly reports on the extensive Muslim persecution of Christians I post on this thread.
GregB

Muslim persecution of Christians

Postby GregB » June 14th, 2012, 11:34 am

I'm starting this thread as I feel the gravity of the subject requires separate treatment, not least as it has been demonstrated that the majority of religious persecution in the world today is that of Islam overwhelmingly towards Christians, though other religions suffer too*.

I've put in as OP the latest extensive report on Muslim persecution of Christians by Raymond Ibrahim, the Coptic Christian scholar now resident in the USA and an expert on Islam. His website is a mine of information on the matter. I've also put Sword of the Spirit's post on the latest situation in northern Nigeria, where the Islamist group Boko Haram (the name means roughly 'Western [ie. Christian] education is wicked') is fighting a war against Christianity as well as an update on the situation in Iran.

This is also the thread for updates on the situation of Asia Bibi in Pakistan, jailed and under sentence of death for 'blasphemy' (ie. converting to Christianity from Islam) and Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani in Iran, also jailed and sentenced to death for the same reason.

Some of you will have watched the horrifying and sickening beheading of a young Tunisian Muslim who had converted to Christianity, executed only for that reason, on a video which I posted earlier on the Religious Persecution thread. As I said there, this is the growing face of militant Islam in the world today.

[*Of the myriad examples, think only of the persecution of the B'Hai faith throughout the Middle East and the barbaric destruction of the huge ancient statues of the Buddha set in a mountainside in Afghanistan by the ultra-Islamist Taliban before the NATO military intervention there.]
GregB

Re: Muslim persecution of Christians

Postby different glory » June 14th, 2012, 10:55 pm

I understand why you have started this as a separate thread, Greg, but I'm also sorry, because it might tend to compartmentalise our fellow-feeling and desire to help the persecuted, and also to demonise just one group of persecutors.
I do take very seriously indeed the rising level of Muslim persecution of Christians, and try to keep the issues in general awareness, and to pray regularly with others about this (as about other persecution, too). I would also like to have discussed and shared information about religious persecution generally (and other persecutions under the guise of religion) in the attempt to be aware, and to spread awareness and to understand what's going on and to work to counter it.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » June 15th, 2012, 7:47 am

DG wrote:
I understand why you have started this as a separate thread, Greg, but I'm also sorry, because it might tend to compartmentalise our fellow-feeling and desire to help the persecuted, and also to demonise just one group of persecutors.
In the first place the Muslim persecutors demonise themselves with the sheer scale, extent and ferocity of their persecution, far more so (and in numbers too) than any other group of persecutors, so I hardly think the problem of our demonising them arises. I've produced evidence before now that the overwhelming majority of cases of religious persecution in the world are perpetrated by Muslims and mainly within Muslim lands. This surely demands separate treatment in itself. Another factor is the sheer cruelty of much of this persecution (even within Muslim communities themselves - think of the awful number of 'honour killings' of women by their menfolk, the horrendous acid attacks on young women disfiguring them for life, the barbaric penalties for basically minor offenses, etc.) and the death which awaits many of the persecuted (I can think of no other religious group which actually takes the lives of those it persecutes and demands death for those who convert to another faith.)

Rather than 'compartmentalise' our fellow-feeling I would say 'focus' it or 'prioritise' it on where the greater persecution is taking place. Victims such as Asia Bibi and Pastor Nadarkhani, both under sentence of death for their faith, surely deserve to have our attention fixed and renewed on people like them.
I would also like to have discussed and shared information about religious persecution generally (and other persecutions under the guise of religion) in the attempt to be aware, and to spread awareness and to understand what's going on and to work to counter it.

But, DG, that is precisely what the 'Religious Persecution' thread is for and if there has been little of what you describe posted there, it's evidently not for want of giving people the opportunity. Indeed, now that the Muslim element has been accorded a thread of its own, the original one can now be dedicated to those other examples of persecution you allude to.
GregB

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 16th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Hi. Please pray for Nigerian Christians this weekend. For the last two Sundays, there have been attacks on Christians

Sunday 3rd June: 15 killed and dozens wounded in Nigerian church attack

Sunday 10th June: Nigerian churches targeted in Sunday attacks
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 22nd, 2012, 1:27 pm

Sadly, the violence continues in Nigeria. Here's a couple of updates...

NIGERIA: Boko Haram Bombed Kaduna Churches

Nigeria arrests Christmas bombing suspect
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby different glory » June 23rd, 2012, 3:42 am

Thanks, SoS. I do indeed pray for them, and will again especially tomorrow, i.e. Sunday. Their courage is amazing -- to resolutely go to church,, knowing that it's almost a certainty that some church, somewhere will be hit that morning. It's a campaign of attrition -- how long can they keep finding funds to rebuild, even. And there's the other aspect -- that sooner or later there will be retaliation (well, there already has been. but not recently, I think) and then... :( So I pray for their protection, for a respite, for their courage and their wisdom.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » July 2nd, 2012, 7:10 am

Here is Raymond Ibrahim's May report on Muslim persecution of Christians (and do bear in mind that this is merely the tip of the iceberg of what is actually happening around the world):

http://www.raymondibrahim.com/11930/mus ... s-may-2012

(Links to previous reports going back to July 2011 can be found at the foot of the article.)
GregB

Next

Return to Talking Stick