Muslim persecution of Christians

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Muslim persecution of Christians

Postby Poncho » January 8th, 2014, 11:43 am

The Bishop of Bradford Nick Baines discusses the persecution of Christians in Sudan at a time when minorities are feeling the heavy hand of a leader intent on silencing them

http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2014/01/sound-fury/
Poncho

Postby GregB » July 23rd, 2014, 9:40 am

The situation of the Christian community in northern Iraq, especially Mosul, is becoming desperate and now they could be facing death at the hands of the Islamic State fanatics:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/2 ... =allsearch
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby different glory » August 8th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Also under horrific threat in Mosul: Yazidis, about whom I know more or less nothing, but just found this on the net:

The Yazidi religion is an ancient, pre-Christian monotheistic faith that reveres angels, is linked to Zoroastrianism, and is viewed by the Islamic State as an intolerable affront to Islam. Like the Christians, Yazidis have been subjected to horrific persecution by extremists in recent years,
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » August 8th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Yes, I'd never heard of them myself until this crisis. What the hate-filled, blood-crazed members of IS are doing to them and the ancient Christian communities in the area is terrifying and bodes ill for the future of the region (and the world?) I saw a video the other day of one of the IS thugs decapitating a Christian in Mosul after forcing him to recite a Muslim prayer. Sickening and stomach-turning hardly describe one's reaction - and this is happening on a widespread scale all over the areas dominated by these men of extreme violence who slaughter in the name of Allah.
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Theophilus » November 10th, 2014, 10:32 pm

different glory wrote:Also under horrific threat in Mosul: Yazidis, about whom I know more or less nothing, but just found this on the net:

The Yazidi religion is an ancient, pre-Christian monotheistic faith that reveres angels, is linked to Zoroastrianism, and is viewed by the Islamic State as an intolerable affront to Islam. Like the Christians, Yazidis have been subjected to horrific persecution by extremists in recent years,

A few years ago there was a video doing the rounds of a young woman in Kurdistan, buried up to her neck, and then being stoned to death in an honour-killing. I didn't see the video, but the mere existence of the video ensured it made a few headlines. They were Yazidis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoning_of ... alil_Aswad

Not that this is said to condone what ISIS are doing, but it did bug me for a while when all this happened because I'm sure I'd heard of the Yazidis before. The fact that the young woman may have converted to Islam (but probably didn't) is, for some Muslims and Muslim-apologists, ample reason for violent retribution by Muslims against the Yazidis. Clearly it is not.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » April 13th, 2015, 5:30 pm

This World: Kill the Christians

Wednesday 15th April, 9pm BBC 2

Christianity is facing the greatest threat to its existence in the very place where it was born. Jane Corbin travels across the Middle East to some of the holiest places in Christendom and finds that hundreds of thousands of Christians are fleeing Islamic extremists, conflict and persecution. From the Nineveh plains in Iraq to the ancient city of Maaloula in Syria, Kill the Christians reveals the story of how the religion that shaped Western culture and history is in danger of disappearing in large parts of its ancient heartland.

iplayer link
SwordOfTheSpirit

Previous

Return to Talking Stick