Religious Persecution in Canada

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Religious Persecution in Canada

Postby Lyn » June 16th, 2012, 1:02 pm

I'm sorry you think I was diverting the purpose of the thread; that may be so but was not my intention.

I can't believe that a homosexual boy or lesbian girl would stand up in class and say, "Why did God make me this way ?", and be satisfied with answers from the Catechism - and accept being told that they should be celibate, especially by someone who probably isn't celibate because they have the luxury of being made heterosexual. I also imagine that many of their friends would take issue with that too.

However there is nothing prohibiting Catholic schools from teaching that homosexuality, though not wrong in itself, is something that must be brought under control. Many non-Catholic Christians teach exactly the same (some go further than that by saying that homosexuality is not inherent and can be "cured", at least Catholics don't go that far). One must accept dissent though, Pondy, and in a state school the laws of the land must be complied with.

I would be interested to know what is taught on the subject in our state Catholic schools nowadays, I really have no idea.

It's about time all state schools were secular, with religious education being broad, covering all faiths, and people who practice a particular religion being taught at home, in church, synagogue, temple or mosque. I don't believe anyone here would have a problem with that except the ultra-orthodox Jews who have some state schools (& teach the same as Catholics with regard to homosexuality). For some reason, no-one in government ever bothers them or concerns themselves with the fact that they teach mainly Torah and aren't bothered about academic standards, especially for girls (all these schools are same sex). It's probably because this small community is self regulating and never causes any trouble.

You do not suffer religious persecution and I wonder why this particular issue is one that occupies so much of your thought, though I do understand that human sexuality is interesting.
Lyn

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 16th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Pondero wrote:As a pre-amble to this thread: my view is that persecution of religion does not necessarily have to result in death as it does in Third World countries where Muslims are persecuting Christians to the death.

Agreed, and here is what one of the biggest sites dealing with Christian persecution says on the matter:

UK Medical Council Plans to Hold Secret Proceedings against Christian Doctor for Sharing his Beliefs

ICC Note

Persecution of Christians happens in different forms around the world. In UK, as this case indicates, Christians face discrimination by secular authorities who violate the rights of Christians to share their faith.

More: UK Christian Doctor Faces Secret Proceedings for Sharing his Beliefs
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » June 16th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Incidentally, Pondero, since you have started this thread, you may be interested in this article from a website based here in the UK.

Hundreds of Canadians have faced legal proceedings over same-sex marriage
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Pondero » June 16th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Thanks for reminding me Sword of the Spirit, we have no opt out clause as they do in Denmark.The ones who refuse to perform the same-sex marriage lose their jobs.
Also, Linda Gibbons has spent 9 years in jail on and off for protesting abortion outside a Toronto abortion clinic.Her crimes are repeatedly standing inside the bubble zone where she is prohibited from being. She stands 30 feet from the clinic and does not prevent women going in at all. But, it is against the law to do so.Linda Gibbons has a few more months to go before being released.The crown said yesterday that it would not prosecute her for an offense which should come to trial when she is released.But,Linda will probably annoy the authorities again by standing thirty feet or more from that Toronto abortion clinic, and go back to jail.
You have to live here to know fully the religious persecution we face in Canada. On the bright side Federal kangaroo courts can no longer prosecute you for offending someone under the notorious section 13. Parliament abolished it last week.But the provincial human rights kangaroo courts still remain!

In late May this year there was a suspicious fire at St.Jerome Roman Catholic Church in Brampton.What appeared to be a pipe bomb was found inside the church by police. The fire was put out.There are no gas connections nearby.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » June 16th, 2012, 7:15 pm

I hope that when this Gibbons woman goes back to court she is given a suitably long sentence. She is being utterly irresponsible, making what is already a difficult time for the women going to the clinic far more traumatic.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » June 16th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Sprocket wrote:I hope that when this Gibbons woman goes back to court she is given a suitably long sentence. She is being utterly irresponsible, making what is already a difficult time for the women going to the clinic far more traumatic.

Linda Gibbons saves lives.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » June 16th, 2012, 8:02 pm

How many? Evidence?
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » June 17th, 2012, 10:53 am

Sprocket wrote:How many? Evidence?

This is a ridiculous question as Statistics Canada doesn't count the numbers and only Linda Gibbons knows the number of women she has dissuaded from entering the abortion clinic.She is thirty feet from the door and the abortion workers come out and call the police, even knowing that you could drive a Mack truck between Linda and the door. She speaks gently to the woman going in and carries a sign saying."Why Mum, I have so much love to give."
Obviously she is successful in saving lives as otherwise the abortion worker would not come out.
Around July 2010 Linda was in jail again and she persuaded,she says , three young women who were in jail too, and pregnant, not to have an abortion.(that incident is found on the net).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » June 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm

I'm sure there must be some other way of protesting against abortion without having to stand outside abortion clinics, with an emotive placard. People speak out against it here but remain within the law. They offer counselling and suggest alternatives but they don't stoop to what she does (placard waving outside clinics has been done here in the past. There would naturally be less of that now because abortions usually take place in hospital, in a normal obs/gynae ward, so no-one would know what a person is going in for).
I don't have much sympathy for Linda Gibbons who strikes me as a woman with an obsession.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » June 17th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Did you know that we have no abortion laws at all in Canada.Not since the Supreme Court struck down the one we had many years ago as being unconstitutional, in violation of our newly found Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1982).I can't think of another country that has nothing on the books.Our government refuses to allow a debate on the subject, saying it is all settled. That is not true as every year an increasing number of young pro -lifers converge on Ottawa for a demonstration.Last year there were 15,000 protestors, and this year over 19,000.
Practically, ignored by the press, they are nearly all very young and they soldier on for Pro-Life.That is good news for life-causes in the future
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Stick