Islamist watch

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Islamist watch

Postby Sprocket » December 4th, 2016, 1:54 pm

I have read a short history if them - we didn't exactly show ourselves in our best light, but they weren't as appalling as some people make out, and by the standards of the day they were fairly average.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » December 4th, 2016, 2:05 pm

The Crusades formed a part of the centuries-old conflict created by the violent expansion of Islam. The current Islamist threat is the latest outcrop of that conflict.

Steve makes a good point about them.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby GregB » September 3rd, 2017, 11:42 am

A disturbing, though perhaps not altogether surprising press report:

"BRITAIN is home to up to 35,000 fanatical Islamists – with 3,000 of them “worrying” MI5, Europe’s top anti-terrorism official said today. European Union’s counter-terrorism co-ordinator Gilles de Kerchove singled out the UK as having more radicalised Muslims than any other country in Europe. Mr de Kerchove also warned Islamic State will attempt a cyber-attack on nuclear power stations or air traffic control systems within five years – possibly by paying Russian hackers to break into vital computer systems.

The official, who is in regular contact with security services, as well as terror experts and governments around Europe, said: “The United Kingdom has identified 20,000 to 35,000 radicals. Of these, 3,000 are worrying for MI5, and of those 500 are under constant and special attention. “France has 17,000. Spain many less, but more than 5,000 I suppose. In Belgium almost 500 have been to Syria and there are around 2,000 radicals or more.

The counter-terrorism official warned that radicals were increasingly using the islamic concept of “taqiyya” – concealing their religious beliefs from those around them – in order to prevent detection…"
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Previous

Return to Talking Stick