Is it a sin to bare our flesh?

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Is it a sin to bare our flesh?

Postby Liz » August 20th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Interesting series of 4thoughts (to be shown on TV this week and on online here).
Liz

Re: Is it a sin to bare our flesh?

Postby Lyn » August 20th, 2012, 9:48 pm

I think there is a time and place. For example, no-one bats an eyelid on the beach. However there are groups who believe that bathing should be sexually segregated. So no, I don't think it is a sin but I wouldn't want to offend anyone who felt strongly about it.
Lyn

Postby Liz » August 21st, 2012, 8:54 am

The Reverend's thoughts annoyed me [paraphrasing]: A woman should dress modestly [don't disagree so far...] because men are sexual beings and can't control themselves. :shock: IMO it's only one step away from saying, if a woman is dressed like this or that, they deserve to be raped. :banghead:

I liked the naturist Vicar. Can't disagree with what he has to say. :D And the breastfeeding mum too. :)
Liz

Postby GregB » August 21st, 2012, 12:27 pm

I haven't watched all of them as they take a while to load individually but what I have seen clearly refer to different contexts in which exposing flesh is, or is not, acceptable - or sinful. And that's the point, really - it depends on the context and circumstances.

Thoughts? Well, clearly scantily-clad women are provocative and inviting possible trouble, though aesthetically there's no problem for me if they are, in the words of the old Eddie Cantor number, young and beautiful (I have more problems with those fat cows who thrust their huge arses into tight ski pants and waddle around unconcernedly.)

The young Muslim woman is pathetic - to hear someone clearly brought up in London defending that claptrap is sad, especially given the inferior, second-class role women occupy in Muslim societies. She's lucky that she lives (and works!) in a free society where women have a choice of what they wear - and what they expose. I should add that I find it lamentable that a young Christian woman can lose her job for wearing a crucifix while presumably this young woman is able to work (she says she's a teacher) freely wearing that Muslim crap.

The testimony (if not the testicles :roll:) of the naturist vicar (does he keep his dog collar on when he's shed everything else?) was interesting in that we were able to view two dickheads at the same time...
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Lyn » August 21st, 2012, 1:43 pm

I didn't see that particular 4thought, must admit to generally disliking 4thought though I occasionally catch it, and cringe. I can't see that a woman wearing a bikini is any different, aesthetically, than a man in speedos.

Thinking about the naturist vicar, you made me laugh Greg about keeping his dog collar on (he would have a big wide white line around his neck all the time). Made me think of the song from the Full Monty, sung by Jones the Voice (I saw him on Sunday!), "You can leave your hat on". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBvbrXNjs0

From what I have heard of naturists, they take absolutely no notice of the people around them who are unclothed, they just regard it as ordinary, they are no more sexually provoked than anyone else, maybe less. However there is a time and place, it would hardly be appropriate to walk around Sainsbury's with nothing on. Naturist beaches are usually well out of sight of the general public.

I have no quarrel with those who believe men and women should cover up and not even go swimming together. Seems odd to me, or to us, but it's their culture.
Lyn

Postby Bev » August 22nd, 2012, 2:15 pm

In a way, the arguments for modest dress make sense with respect to how men respond to women. I'm sure most men would agree that they sexually respond to more being revealed. I'm not sure women are made up to respond the same way, i.e. the speedo. :?

Also, in the work place, I saw first hand the different way women were often subtly treated if they tended toward a more immodest look. Some were outright taken advantage of.

Even though I agree with Liz there should never be a legal excuse for rape, I still lovingly advise my granddaughter that depending on how she dresses she can attract one type of attention or another. It's just the nature of the beast, imo.
Bev

Postby GregB » August 22nd, 2012, 3:30 pm

On the question of naturism, I should say that I have been to a nudist beach and, of course, I found it lewd, disgusting and shameful...especially on my fifth visit there. :mrgreen:
I'm sure most men would agree that they sexually respond to more being revealed.

No, not necessarily. Looking at pictures of sluts like Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Madonna and their like who are supposed sexual sirens just makes me think what foul-smelling whores they really seem to be as well as the stupidity of gullible men who are fatally attracted to their feline filth and bulbous mediocrity. No, I can find a woman well clad, exposing little of her body, but projecting an achingly desirable sexual allure in subtle mystery difficult to define but impossible to resist, overwhelmingly attractive, the more so if it is never tediously consummated.
GregB

Postby Lyn » August 22nd, 2012, 6:31 pm

It's quite true that covering up can be more sexy than showing off too much. A woman can move, speak and glance in alluring ways. A pair of fine eyes and the turn of a fine ankle could bring men begging a girl to take a walk around the garden (I am in Austen mode today).
Lyn

Postby Liz » August 22nd, 2012, 6:41 pm

It's quite true that covering up can be more sexy than showing off too much.

I'd say that was definitely the case, Vix. Even when you think of 'men's magazines', it's not often you'll find a natural, totally naked person inside. Instead there is usually minimal clothing, or draping of materials, props and 'sexy' poses.
Liz

Postby GregB » August 22nd, 2012, 6:54 pm

Well, I think we're straying somewhat from the point I was trying to make. It's not just about covering up (some women can cover up and be as alluring as driftwood) but rather that je ne sais quoi which projects an erotic charge and a sensation of pleasurable disquiet and unease without depending on exposure of flesh. Nor is the mystery I was referring to the simple mystery of what lies beneath a long skirt or is contained in a flirtatious glance, still less the contrived posing of girls in men's magazines, well draped or not.
GregB

Next

Return to Talking Stick