Items of interest (but maybe not long discussion)

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Items of interest (but maybe not long discussion)

Postby different glory » October 18th, 2012, 1:02 am

I thought it might be useful to have a thread for items which won't be worth a great deal of discussion, but might be of some interest. That is, I looked for a place to put the following, and couldn't find one!

I found this of much interest. It's a story about current Hindu use of the internet for worship of idols. Worship at a price, which is one interesting point, but what caught my attention was the thought that maybe such use of the internet makes more sense to Hindus, with a religion which does not anchor itself in time and place as firmly as Christianity does. Or am I wrong about that?

Anyway, it's offered just as an item from current news cover, which I hope will be of some interest.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: Items of interest (but maybe not long discussion)

Postby Lyn » October 18th, 2012, 11:09 am

Sounds a bit lazy to me. As Hindu festivals are very popular social occasions and no-one in the Western world is that far from a Hindu temple, I don't see the point. I'd be surprised if it catches on.
Lyn

Postby GregB » October 18th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Well, it may be of interest, but only really out of idol curiosity... :blink:
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Bev » October 19th, 2012, 6:45 pm

:D

Is this really any different from Christian television broadcasting or internet forum communities (especially those that offer prayer.) I remember seeing here Christian shows where the host would offer "blessed" cloths as a "gift" for anyone who sends a donation.

I can't see a difference between seeking a Christian blessing this way versus what the Hindus are doing. They just took longer.
Bev

Postby different glory » October 20th, 2012, 1:25 am

:D re "idol curiosity".

Well, I think it is different, but there's also similarities -- which are just as interesting!
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sweet Peace » October 21st, 2012, 3:29 am

I expect there are online confessionals. Seems to me that a major difference between Christianity and other religions is grace. We don't have to work at attaining merit by attending events and doing good works, so there isn't the same impetuous to virtually attend some festival.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Pondero » October 21st, 2012, 9:55 am

I have planted tomato seeds and watched them grow.How does it know to become a tomato plant, I wonder.
How does a plant know what it is going to be when it "grows up" .?What makes a plant do what it does, it has no brains in the sense that humans have brains. I conclude it is one of the wonders of God's creation.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » October 21st, 2012, 12:56 pm

D.N.A.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » October 21st, 2012, 5:05 pm

Sprocket wrote:D.N.A.

Who explains DNA?
What you say is a red herring.There is a creator behind it all.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Bev » October 21st, 2012, 11:51 pm

Pondero wrote:I have planted tomato seeds and watched them grow.How does it know to become a tomato plant, I wonder.
How does a plant know what it is going to be when it "grows up" .?What makes a plant do what it does, it has no brains in the sense that humans have brains. I conclude it is one of the wonders of God's creation.

Well said, Pondero. Yes, as Sprocket says, DNA explains better the answer to your question, but behind it there must have been an intelligent designer.

Sweet Peace wrote:I expect there are online confessionals. Seems to me that a major difference between Christianity and other religions is grace. We don't have to work at attaining merit by attending events and doing good works, so there isn't the same impetuous to virtually attend some festival.

The thing is, SP, in the most popular churches, and based on how established, denominational Christians treat others, grace is the least component of modern Christianity. It's a heavily-used word that seems to have no truly relevant meaning today. Yes, I would agree that we can see this in all Jesus taught and did, but if I'm fair, I've never seen as the hallmark of any organized Christian religion, past or present. (Which might explain why anyone outside the "faith" doesn't see it.)
Bev

Next

Return to Talking Stick