Are crime shows today's most popular religious ritual?

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Are crime shows today's most popular religious ritual?

Postby different glory » July 22nd, 2014, 12:11 am

Declining the diversion into the historic wrongs of the American west (though disagreeing with you, Greg), and returning to the topic, yes
crime film and TV series have now become the main cinematic and televisual scenarios of the classic conflict between good and evil

and maybe people are finding catharsis and a sense of absolution, when right is restored and wrongdoers punished in their nightly watchings? Or is it that in the world around us, wrongdoers so clearly aren't, and right so clearly isn't that they need a fictional sense of hope - the hope formerly provided by the church having lost its efficacy? Come to that wasn't the first Star Wars film subtitled A New Hope?
(emotionally,I mean -- I'm not suggesting a cosmic change here!)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » July 22nd, 2014, 12:33 pm

Post moved.
Last edited by GregB on July 22nd, 2014, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » July 22nd, 2014, 3:35 pm

There is a Western channel on Freeview which I saw advertised only last week though it has probably been going for some time. I used to love Westerns so will tune in occasionally.
http://www.locatetv.com/listings/encore-westerns
Lyn

Postby GregB » July 22nd, 2014, 3:46 pm

Different Glory wrote:
Declining the diversion into the historic wrongs of the American west (though disagreeing with you, Greg)

Well, although I agree that's certainly a separate issue in itself, I simply wanted to examine the causes of the decline of the arch-American cinematic myth, the Western, and to that extent, I think we have to look at the political and social context of that decline in the crucial timeframe of the 60's/70's. There has to be some explanation for it, after all.

On the rest of your post, I'm not so sure the majority of people are really seeking some kind of catharsis or resolution of moral wrongs in these terms. I think they're simply quite happy, without further consideration or reflection on their part, to see the 'bad guys' get their comeuppance, though there are ambiguous shades of grey in these cynical times as to who is really bad, the criminal or the law enforcement agent. In other words, I doubt whether there is really a thirst for justice on the part of the majority of the population, whose own moral compass lacks its own firm outlines - just a desire to gloat from their armchairs or cinema seats over some schmuck's downfall and demise (and the more tomato ketchup the better...)

Hope? Perhaps, but really at one remove and evaporated with the closing credits. Of the triad, perhaps only charity still has some viability in these murky times.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Previous

Return to Talking Stick