Muslims in Our Midst

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Muslims in Our Midst

Postby Pondero » August 29th, 2014, 10:17 am

This afternoon I went to the public library and discovered upstairs a 'learning centre' Students were learning Powerpoint between the hours of 2 and 4 pm. Among the tattooed arms of some of the men and women there was a woman on a computer like all the others, dressed in a niquab and hijab, the whole kit and kibudle, with only a slit for her eyes, her hands were brown.. Now, there is nothing in the Koran saying women have to dress like this, and she apparently doesn't have a husband (if married) who keeps her 'barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, or he wouldn't have let her out. She probably is university educated and single.
Why I ask myself does she dress like this?
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Re: Muslims in Our Midst

Postby Lyn » August 29th, 2014, 10:51 am

It's very sad that you feel like this Pondy, revulsion etc. You are a Christian, ask the Lord to take those feelings away from you. The woman was not hurting you, her appearance merely freaked you out. For all you know she could just be going through a phase, people do, and young people (I don't know how old this woman is), often want to make a statement. See them in ten years and they are quite different altogether. You can't judge a book by its cover Pondy. It doesn't matter what colour a person is either. If she had done something antisocial that would be different but from what you say, she did nothing. You felt affronted by her appearance. That's wrong Pondy and you know it is. It is prejudice which comes from fear. Let it go.

As for letting people into "our" countries, Canada was not your birthplace, it is your adopted home. You are Canadian by choice. So are many others, the vast majority of Canadians have roots in other countries. A lot of people in this country have roots elsewhere too, that's the way of the world. There is more travel than ever before. Gone are the days when people generally stayed in the same area as their parents.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 29th, 2014, 11:24 am

The reference to the colour of her hands being brown made me think she was from Somalia. We have a lot of refugees from that country and many live in apartments north of Dixon and Islington Avenue. Some men have gone home to join terrorist organizations, others have stayed here.

I do believe that apart from our obligation to take in refugees, genuine refugees, not economic migrants, that the people who are Canadian decide how many, and who and from what country prospective immigrants shall be from.Call it racist if you like, this is or was a predominantly white country and I make no apologies for saying it should stay that way - genuine refugees excepted.
Now, you should notice that I have amended the last post to delete any mention of my feelings.
Last edited by Pondero on September 2nd, 2014, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby GregB » August 29th, 2014, 11:49 am

Post moved forward.
Last edited by GregB on August 29th, 2014, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Sprocket » August 29th, 2014, 11:55 am

Pondero wrote:This afternoon I went to the public library and discovered upstairs a 'learning centre' Students were learning Powerpoint between the hours of 2 and 4 pm. Among the tattooed arms of some of the men and women there was a woman on a computer like all the others, dressed in a niquab and hijab, the whole kit and kibudle, with only a slit for her eyes, her hands were brown.. Now, there is nothing in the Koran saying women have to dress like this, and she apparently doesn't have a husband (if married) who keeps her 'barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, or he wouldn't have let her out. She probably is university educated and single.
Why I ask myself does she dress like this?

Why the fuck, I ask myself, shouldn't she, and what business is it of yours?
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » August 29th, 2014, 11:57 am

Pondero wrote:The reference to the colour of her hands being brown made me think she was from Somalia. We have a lot of refugees from that country and many live in apartments north of Dixie and Islington Avenue. Some men have gone home to join terrorist organizations, others have stayed here.

I do believe that apart from our obligation to take in refugees, genuine refugees, not economic migrants, that the people who are Canadian decide how many, and who and from what country prospective immigrants shall be from.Call it racist if you like, this is or was a predominantly white country and I make no apologies for saying it should stay that way - genuine refugees excepted.
Now, you should notice that I have amended the last post to delete any mention of my feelings.

It was originally a predominantly native-American country - the "whites" are intruders, so why shouldn't browns arrive as well? The same goes for Greg's 'When in Rome..." comment, When did European colonisers ever adaspt to the culture of the native populations they colonised?
Last edited by Sprocket on August 29th, 2014, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » August 29th, 2014, 11:57 am

Steve - I'm repeating my more extensive post, which I'd rather was not sidelined by one-liner one-offs:

GregB wrote:
It's very sad that you feel like this Pondy, revulsion etc. You are a Christian, ask the Lord to take those feelings away from you.

Oh, come on, Vix - that's pretty patronising. And who are you to set yourself up as an arbiter of 'Christian correctness' and ask the Lord to remove such perfectly understandable feelings about people in our midst who seem set on establishing their own ghettoes with their own rules? "When in Rome..." (or Toronto, or London, or Barcelona, etc). And, anyway, niquabs and hijabs can be a security risk, concealing terrorists. Away with them - and good for France for banning them
For all you know she could just be going through a phase, people do, and young people (I don't know how old this woman is), often want to make a statement. See them in ten years and they are quite different altogether.

The only statement that she's making is that she is a Muslim (though as Pondero says, the Koran doesn't demand such covering.)
You felt affronted by her appearance. That's wrong Pondy and you know it is. It is prejudice which comes from fear. Let it go.

More patronising condescension, not to mention cheap pop psychology. And there's plenty to fear from Islam these days, more and more, and I add part of a post I made the other day on that score, which only people with their heads buried in the sand (or who pull the blankets over their heads in their fragile comfort zones), not to mention milk-and-water eclectical 'Christians' who think a religion which denies all the main tenets of Christianity is worthy of our respect, will ignore at their peril:

"It was in the 7th century when Islam erupted into the world, a pseudo religion cobbled together from Jewish and Christian texts by a psychotic, pederastic, deranged Arabian warlord called Muhammed (if he ever really existed) and - take serious note of this - has only ever been spread by violent conquest and never by peaceful missionary activity. It is essentially a religion/ideology of violence which, mercifully, was stemmed in its advance into Europe several centuries ago. Now, it's on the march again in growing numbers and locations with the jihad once again as its natural motor.

Some have said that what Islam lacks is the equivalent of the Christian Reformation (and, to a lesser extent, Reformed Judaism.) Wrong. What are the essentials of the Reformation? A jettisoning of accumulated traditions over the years and a return to the fundamentals of the founding documents of Christianity, ie. Sola Scriptura (only the Bible.) Well, that's precisely what all these frighteningly growing jihadi movements are doing - returning to the basics of the Koran and the Hadiths, which mandate the killing of all foes, Jews and Christians alike and the establishment of a worldwide Islamic caliphate. So-called 'moderate' Muslims are merely the rough equivalent of nominal Christians who just go through the required motions without much thought, though there is an increasing radicalisation of Muslim immigrants in our societies, who have never really integrated, despite the wishful thinking of tunnel-visioned multi-culturalists."

Edit: I see Pondero has revised his post now, but I stand by mine.
Last edited by GregB on August 29th, 2014, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby GregB » August 29th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Steve wrote:
It was originally a predominantly native-American country - the "whites" are intruders, so why shouldn't browns arrive as well? The same goes for Greg's 'When in Rome..." comment, When did European colonisers ever adaspt to the culture of the native populations they colonised?

OK, apart from repeating my post above, I'll answer this. Why the hell should European colonisers adapt to the primitive societies of the savages they encountered, societies where bare subsistence, female subservience and pagan gobbledegook were the norms?
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Pondero » August 29th, 2014, 12:13 pm

I believe in democracy, and as Canadians today run the country what we say goes. If we want a predominantly white country then so be it. We can vote on it and make it our law.
The ancestors of the native Americans who roamed the country, (for the most part they were hunters not farmers) are now called First Nations, and are subsidized in their existence by the Canadian taxpayer.The Supreme Court has given them more rights recently, and although I think they get too much, I accept that.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 29th, 2014, 12:51 pm

I am appalled that anyone thinks I am setting myself up as a Christian arbiter, I was merely saying what I felt to be true from my point of view and appealing to Pondero's Christian values. If that is patronising I apologise, it wasn't meant that way. I've had such things said to me on other subjects, not been upset but gone away and thought about it. I respect Pondero and always have, he knows that! Anyway enough from me, I'll read what others have to say and only comment if something new comes up.
Lyn

Next

Return to Talking Stick