Interfaith news and views

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Islamist watch

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » March 13th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Coming soon to a town near you... This happened in Londonistan (sorry, London!)

Muslim prayers in Church of England parish
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Lyn » March 13th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Nothing new about that, we have had interfaith services for years in the CofE and the Catholic Church. Not just Muslims but Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, all sorts. Including interfaith weddings. I'm not sure about a "full Muslim service", they'd have to move the chairs and pews to make room for the prayer mats. The only objections I've ever heard have been from evangelical churches who think everyone should be a Christian.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 13th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:Nothing new about that, we have had interfaith services for years in the CofE and the Catholic Church. Not just Muslims but Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, all sorts. Including interfaith weddings. I'm not sure about a "full Muslim service", they'd have to move the chairs and pews to make room for the prayer mats. The only objections I've ever heard have been from evangelical churches who think everyone should be a Christian.

I have not heard of any Muslim services in Canada being held in the Catholic Church.The Muslims have at least one mosque in Etobicoke which they use. Probably they have a mosque in other areas too, such as Brampton, which has a large Muslim population.
I would be opposed to any such Muslim service being held in our Catholic Churches as they are busy destroying Christian churches and murdering Christians too,in other parts of the world.. They should understand that even if they say we are not like them.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Michael » March 13th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Last edited by Michael on March 13th, 2015, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Interfaith news and views

Postby GregB » March 13th, 2015, 8:56 pm

I'm starting this thread to incorporate the last few posts on the Islamist Watch thread, which was intended - to quote from my opening post there - "as a means of recording and commenting on the steady, alarming, seemingly inexorable spread of fanatical Islamism". The question of interfaith dialogue and activities is really a separate topic with its own specific input. Moreover, non-Christian faiths other than Islam wouldn't really have any relevance to the intended subject matter of the original thread.
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby Sprocket » March 13th, 2015, 10:49 pm

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:Coming soon to a town near you... This happened in Londonistan (sorry, London!)

Muslim prayers in Church of England parish
If the bible-thumpers dislike it, and a liberal is responsible for it, it's good. Good for Canon Goddard.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Re: Interfaith news and views

Postby Theophilus » March 13th, 2015, 10:59 pm

To be fair, the prayers were led by a Muslim woman, so it probably upset hardliners in Islam too. I think it is the liberalism of the participants that united them, rather than any shared faith in God. Perhaps such an interfaith service was too self-aware of its own "controversy" to be spiritually beneficial to anyone taking part.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

'

Postby GregB » March 14th, 2015, 12:36 pm

The clergyman in question is a well-meaning, cotton-headed fool* (perhaps he constantly plays that Lennonist anthem of wishful thinking idiocy, 'Imagine', to lull himself to sleep and shut out the harsh, and ever harsher, real world.) There can be no accord with a religion which claims superiority over Christianity, having supposedly surpassed it by the amateurish theology of a psychotic, pederastic, bloodthirsty Arabian warlord (who may not have even existed according to some historians), a half-baked mish-mash of Judaism and Christianity (including a glaringly obvious Nestorian misunderstanding of the Trinity, widespread in the Arabian peninsular in those days, which undoubtedly informed the reducing of Christ to the status of a mere prophet.) Some historians suggest that every explosive wave of conquest throughout recorded history requires sooner or later an accompanying ideology to justify its violent expansion and the appointed scholars of the new pseudo-religion of Islam ('submission') in the 7th and 8th. centuries cobbled together a syncretised religion from their dusty, semi-legible manuscript sources without any valid new input and even emphasising a vengeful Old Testament God without the slightest grasp of God's true, revealed character and nature (and merciful grace, so lacking in Islam) in Jesus Christ as the New Testament declares from start to finish. In other words, the Old Testament was the extended authorised preface, the New Testament is the full work, while the Q'ran is a tacky, badly-written sequel by a deranged tribal chieftain whose research team badly doctored their CV's.

Canon Goddard naively proclaims 'God is great!' as a translation, as he sees it, of the triumphant Islamic cry, 'Allahu Akbar'. What he understands as simply meaning 'God is great' has, in, fact, nuances within Islam and really means, to paraphrase, that only the God of Islam - Allah - is the true God and all others fall woefully short, stridently declaring an exclusivism which by default excludes Christianity. One should add that Islam repudiates the concept of a triune God, for Christians the ultimate divine revelation of the true nature of the Creator God which cannot be superceded. Moreover, according to Christian doctrine, Jesus Christ, God and man, is the last prophet, high priest, king and messiah in the divine plan of salvation, enacted primarily in Israel as the seed ground for the later, complete flowering of His purposes for humanity and then safeguarded and proclaimed forever in His church to the Apostles and the Fathers ("I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints" - Jude 3) until the end of history. There can be no additions to such a definitive last word, especially by a psychotic warlord whose only means of conversion was by bloody conquest, revived in our day - and there can be no compromise with it.

In conclusion, it seems banal, even resorting to clichés, to point out that not a single mosque would host such a joint prayer service with Christians. That, surely, would be a sign of some meeting ground, some spirit of fraternal entente between the two religions, but let's be realistic - it isn't going to happen.

[* As a variation on 'useful idiot', Steve. :mrgreen: ]
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby Sprocket » March 14th, 2015, 1:32 pm

Yes, you're right, it was foolish of him. Encourage good relations with Muslims by all means, but inter-faith services are a step too far. To be honest, my earlier post was just an attempt to irritate SotS!
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Yet inter-faith services are nothing new Sprocks. Even in the days when I went to church, quite a while ago, we had them. It was a good thing, imo.
Lyn

Next

Return to Talking Stick