Interfaith news and views

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Interfaith news and views

Postby GregB » March 14th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:Yet inter-faith services are nothing new Sprocks. Even in the days when I went to church, quite a while ago, we had them. It was a good thing, imo.

I think I've expounded in a fairly serious, extensive, informed manner why such services are - at least from a Christian perspective - basically misguided, non-serving and undermining of the essentials of the Christian faith (see my earlier post.) If there is disagreement, I'd appreciate well-argued, thoughtful reasons why rather than just brief assertions such as "it was a good thing".
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » March 14th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Sprocket wrote:To be honest, my earlier post was just an attempt to irritate SotS!

Where? I must have missed it? :(
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2015, 3:57 pm

I will argue that the closer the different religions get, the better. We need to understand eachother better. I also don't believe everyone has to be a Christian in order to be "saved".
Lyn

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » March 14th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:I also don't believe everyone has to be a Christian in order to be "saved".

Just out of interest then, what do you believe needs to happen in order for an individual to be saved (if, indeed they need to be), and if it is not just your opinion, what do you base it on? Thanks.
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby GregB » March 14th, 2015, 5:22 pm

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:
Victoria Plum wrote:I also don't believe everyone has to be a Christian in order to be "saved".

Just out of interest then, what do you believe needs to happen in order for an individual to be saved (if, indeed they need to be), and if it is not just your opinion, what do you base it on? Thanks.

I will second SOTS's pertinent question and add two thoughts.

First, a reiteration of my quote from the Epistle of Jude:
"I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people."
The Holy Spirit inspired declaration of what constitutes unchanging saving faith in God. There is no other, only that which Jesus Christ instututed once and for all.

Second, the inspired words of the apostle Simon Peter in John 6:68 when doubts began to circulate about Christ's unique person and capacities:
"Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life."
No other, and in no other religion, has that power, only the Son of the eternal God.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Greg, I am not a Biblical literalist.

I cannot believe that everyone who is not a Christian is doomed to oblivion (or worse, as some do believe).

People who have a faith and practice it are as much loved and cared by, by God, as you and I. Think of those non-Christians who did their best according to their lights, it's impossible to imagine them not in Heaven. We will no doubt be surprised (if we make it), when we die, we will meet all sorts of people. Those are my beliefs and one reason I became a Catholic was the interfaith and lack of prejudice against those of other faiths. I started off going to an EFC and couldn't stomach the obsession and prejudice against those who did not share the Christian faith.

I could say more - even quoting from a minister at a funeral at the EFC which I thought was appalling - but too tired now.

I'd be very embarrassed if, for example, a Hindu or Jew, joined Thad's - and Thad's is supposed to be free when it comes to beliefs. When did that change?
Lyn

Postby Theophilus » March 14th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:Greg, I am not a Biblical literalist.

Literalism describes one way in which a person can engage and interpret the Bible, or parts of it. It isn't the only way of engaging with the Scriptures, and choosing to ignore verses from Scripture does not mean you are simply "not a Biblical literalist". After the recent evolution debate I have seen enough of this "you don't have to be a Biblical literalist" line to know that it can actually mean "I can ignore verses of the Bible I don't like."

This is sad because, despite what might come across from the aforementioned evolution debate, I absolutely do believe that you can engage with the Scriptures without interpreting them all literally and can draw allegorical meanings behind (perhaps even all of) what is described. The important thing is that you take them seriously! It is quite possible for rigid literalism applied to parts of the Bible to reveal a superficial and non-serious approach to what is written.

So, please, don't use the excuse of being a "non-literalist" as a reason to ignore parts of the Bible you don't feel inclined to listen to. That is not "non-literalism".

I'd be very embarrassed if, for example, a Hindu or Jew, joined Thad's - and Thad's is supposed to be free when it comes to beliefs. When did that change?

It hasn't. No one has been forced to leave this forum because they held a particular belief. Some people might have left because they didn't like their belief being challenged in the way it was, but that's not the same thing.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Previous

Return to Talking Stick