Woman - know your limits!

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Woman - know your limits!

Postby Sprocket » August 24th, 2016, 9:03 pm

Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby GregB » August 25th, 2016, 7:20 am

:D
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby sarniajoy » September 30th, 2016, 12:40 pm

It is very sad that in the 21st century there are those who think women are lesser mortals! I have a close 'born again' relative who thinks she should be submissive to her husband's wishes! :o My husband would be hanging by his dangly bits from the nearest church steeple if he was of the same opinion. Of course I would never have married him if he hadn't treated me as his equal.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » September 30th, 2016, 1:01 pm

There may be a few women who feel like your relative, sj, also some who, frankly, like to be at home cleaning and ironing, but they are few and far between now and have been for some time.
That video was very good, I remember it on TV, but it was satire. The 1950s are long past.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » September 30th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Lyn wrote:There may be a few women who feel like your relative, sj, also some who, frankly, like to be at home cleaning and ironing, but they are few and far between now and have been for some time.
That video was very good, I remember it on TV, but it was satire. The 1950s are long past.

She had a demanding job before she retired, but was still expected to raise the children, do all the things in the house and also help her husband a pastor! :twisted:
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » September 30th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Well I hope he was put out to pasture early.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » October 1st, 2016, 8:13 am

Lyn wrote:Well I hope he was put out to pasture early.

He is now retired and at least she doesn't have the 100 or so (no exaggeration) people through their home each week whom she was expected to feed! :o
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » October 1st, 2016, 12:23 pm

It's a funny thing, though, that in the past (& maybe nowadays in some cases), people accepted that sort of burden and what is more were expected to get on with it. I daresay she could have put limits in place and insisted on regular time off.
Lyn

Postby GregB » October 1st, 2016, 2:36 pm

Last edited by GregB on October 2nd, 2016, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby sarniajoy » October 1st, 2016, 3:54 pm

Lyn wrote:It's a funny thing, though, that in the past (& maybe nowadays in some cases), people accepted that sort of burden and what is more were expected to get on with it. I daresay she could have put limits in place and insisted on regular time off.

She should have done so, imo, but of course it is her life, not mine.
sarniajoy

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Stick