Ban the Media?

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Ban the Media?

Postby Pondero » February 16th, 2018, 10:30 pm

I wish it could be done, but it can't. I do believe the Media is largely responsible for the wrongs of this world.
At the moment we can't ban it. However, we can ignore it, not watch it, and condemn
It.
I can say lots more about it,but not now.

Edit.
The news media magnifies the evils of the world,publicises them ,supports evil behaviour by the way its commentators influence the message, and gets confused thinking people to see no wrong in what was done.
I am thinking of euthanasia, abortion and artificial contraception here.Not the news of the recent carnage in Florida where 17 students were murdered.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Re: Ban the Media?

Postby maz » October 16th, 2018, 6:12 pm

I am tired of the loaded rhetoric from those who should be reporting the news professionally (as some still do but in dwindling numbers - such as Huw Edwards) -
we can make our own minds up if they simply give us the news in detail...
but they often leave context out - and those who can't be bothered to read whole articles to find the context tend to rely on their soundbytes and editorial opinion, whether from TV, online, or printed Media.
Some really annoy me because they are so arrogant and cynical - such as Robert Peston - had to mute TV news last night - his arrogant drawl and crafty rhetoric was awful.
I believe many are part of the organised campaign that is from anti-Brexit saboteurs who are trying to protect their E.U. gravy train incomes... such as Tony Blair's spin Doctor Alistair Campbell who heads up one section of this.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby Sprocket » October 16th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Brexit is the ultimate omnishambles, and will be a disaster. I'll be on the pro-EU demo in London on Saturday, wearing my "Don't blame me, I voted remain" T-shirt, my "Citizen of Europe" baseball cap (the right way round), and a big EU fag draped round my shoulders like a cape.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » October 16th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Good for you.

I don't expect unbiased journalism when it comes to important issues. What I object to is scandal mongering and muck raking.
Lyn

Postby maz » October 16th, 2018, 10:49 pm

surely journalism should be unbiased, if they are news reporters.
I agree with your final sentence.

Sprocket - no surprise from you

boxes..little boxes not just the housing that Pete Seeger sang about...
I so wish many could break out - and not fall for headlines...and be more discerning - and see what is happening :(
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
maz

Postby Lyn » October 16th, 2018, 10:54 pm

Journalism is never unbiased, Maz, unless it's merely the reporting of an incident, like a storm or a crash, bare facts, that sort of thing.
Lyn

Postby maz » October 16th, 2018, 11:15 pm

I realise that many would find it difficult to be so...(sadly, but some are still professional about it).
do you think, for example, that newsreader Huw Edwards reads the news in a biased way?..
(I am on about sharing the news, mainly, not an editorial or political article).
maz

Postby Theophilus » October 18th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Lyn wrote:I don't expect unbiased journalism when it comes to important issues.

Except when it comes to the BBC, which claims "impartiality" to justify what is in effect a tax on everyone who owns a TV. I don't believe they are impartial, of course, but if this were to be admitted there would be no justification for the Licence fee... either make the BBC a channel with commercials like ITV, or paid-subscription, or both. It becomes more pervasive with networks like the BBC, because not only can they push their bias in their news reports, but also in other programming that they make or commission.

Lyn wrote:What I object to is scandal mongering and muck raking.

Which the BBC also does, such as when it televised live a Police raid on Cliff Richard's house based on charges that he was later cleared of. The BBC even had to pay over a million pounds in damages for their behaviour; which of course means that TV licence payers had to pay.

https://news.sky.com/story/bbc-will-not ... e-11473402

Lyn wrote:Journalism is never unbiased, Maz, unless it's merely the reporting of an incident, like a storm or a crash, bare facts, that sort of thing.

Even in this journalism can be biased, simply down to what is reported and what is not. There's far too much going on in the world for everything to be given the same attention; the editorial of choice in what story is reported and what isn't, running order etc. can all have biased.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Theophilus » October 18th, 2018, 6:48 pm

maz wrote:I believe many are part of the organised campaign that is from anti-Brexit saboteurs who are trying to protect their E.U. gravy train incomes... such as Tony Blair's spin Doctor Alistair Campbell who heads up one section of this.

Exactly: most of the campaigns are just the same people in different guises all trying to push back the tide, making their numbers seem huge when it is just money that they have (and are trying to keep hold of). So, for example, the "People's Vote" campaign is just the Open Britain group that campaigned to remain in the EU, but rebranded. The People's Vote even use Open Britain's old Twitter account, which throws up embarrassing old tweets like this one from before the Referendum:

https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/stat ... 9735415808

... no second chances, eh? :scratch:

Now there is a lot of media reporting about so-called "cheating" by the Leave campaign, specifically in breaking spending limits. The objection goes that because the Leave campaign overspent, that extra campaigning money spent gave them an unfair advantage and swayed the public. Even if you accept the accusation of overspending, if you assume that more money = more advantage in the Refurbishment campaign, then where does that leave the Government of 2016 who spent 9 million pounds sending out a leaflet to every household in the country encouraging us to vote Remain? That's a helluva overspend!
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sprocket » October 18th, 2018, 9:55 pm

More important than leave's overspending is their blatant lying.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Next

Return to Talking Stick