Any JWs on St Thads?

For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity.
Forum rules
For discussions about religion, but not specifically Christianity. Christians and members of any faith or of no faith are welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times. Remember that detailed discussion about the beliefs of a particular faith will be difficult if no member of that faith is available to take part.

Re: Any JWs on St Thads?

Postby GregB » October 22nd, 2016, 3:42 pm

I have nothing against any of them personally but I dislike their doctrine.

I'm sure they have nothing against you personally, either. They just happen to believe that you, and the other 7.5 billion people* in the world, will be destroyed at Armageddon, which is always just around the next corner.

[* The total number of JW's worldwide is just over 8 million.]
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Ishy » October 22nd, 2016, 10:36 pm

GregB wrote:
I have nothing against any of them personally but I dislike their doctrine.

I'm sure they have nothing against you personally, either. They just happen to believe that you, and the other 7.5 billion people* in the world, will be destroyed at Armageddon, which is always just around the next corner.

[* The total number of JW's worldwide is just over 8 million.]

IRONIC or what? :rotfl:
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Lyn » October 22nd, 2016, 10:46 pm

What is ironic about that?
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 22nd, 2016, 11:24 pm

Lyn wrote:What is ironic about that?

Maybe that a mere seven million JWs have the thought that Armageddon is for the majority, the other 7.5 billion in the world, and that they are elite, and the rest can go to hell unless they believe in their man-made view of religion.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » October 22nd, 2016, 11:44 pm

Could be.
I don't know how they arrive at those numbers.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » October 23rd, 2016, 5:33 am

Pondero wrote:
Lyn wrote:What is ironic about that?

Maybe that a mere seven million JWs have the thought that Armageddon is for the majority, the other 7.5 billion in the world, and that they are elite, and the rest can go to hell unless they believe in their man-made view of religion.

JWs don't believe in hell. They believe that the fate of the unsaved is extinction. That's one thing they get right, but unfortunately, they are hopelessly wrong about much more important Christian doctrines, such as the divinity of Christ, and the personhood and divinity of the Holy Spirit.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby GregB » October 23rd, 2016, 7:27 am

Lyn wrote:Could be.
I don't know how they arrive at those numbers.

The numbers come from every single JW congregation around the world and are collated in the Watchtower Society's HQ in Brooklyn, New York (it's a highly centralised, pyramidal organisation.) Members are considered to be those who do the obligatory door-to-door 'preaching' and who have to report the number of hours put in on that every month (there's a required minimum; those who fail to fulfil their obligations are admonished and may be asked to leave if they persist.)

Many of these will have been baptised, but for JW's, baptism has no significance other than as a public declaration of adherence to the teachings of the organisation (they are simply dipped en masse in a pool by helpers at JW's' annual conventions in silence; ie. no "I baptise you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit", the latter not even being a divine person for them.) Newcomers are soon expected to start the door-to-door work as soon as possible if they wish to be considered members; there are no 'fellow-travellers'.

So, the number 8.2 million is based on that criterion.

On Steve's post, I concur with what he said.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » October 23rd, 2016, 9:49 am

Thanks for that. I too agree with Steve's post, thought they believed in extinction for non-believers but wasn't sure I had the correct information.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 23rd, 2016, 10:13 am

I was using the word 'Hell' metaphorically in my post.I had no idea whether the JWs believed in hell or not. And it doesn't interest me.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby GregB » October 23rd, 2016, 10:17 am

Fair enough, Pondero, but it might interest others here. The thread is about the JW's after all and some may be curious about their beliefs.
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Stick