Global Warming

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Global Warming

Postby Sprocket » October 5th, 2010, 9:19 am

I've now watched the video - it's a bloody disgrace. Not only is it disgusting, as propaganda it is spectacularly inept, likely to make people sympathise with the doubters, who already like to think of themselves as an oppressed minority. I've commented on Youtube as well: this is what I wrote -
I'm thoroughly in favour of reducing carbon emissions, and am certainly not a climate-change doubter - I'm a member of the Green Party, for heaven's sake - but I'm appalled at this disgusting video. What on earth do its makers hope to achieve? It'd make an excellent propaganda film for the deniers/doubters/sceptics, since they already like to portray themselves as an oppressed minority. Disgraceful.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » October 5th, 2010, 10:02 am

I've just emailed the 10:10 campaign to protest. I'll let you know about any response.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » October 5th, 2010, 11:40 am

Thanks for that - I'll be interested to hear about their response. I have a feeling they're going to get a lot of protests about their ill-conceived video-nasty, in fact. The film would have been much more effective if they had simply shown the classroom, the office and the football pitch scenes with the respective spiels for 10/10 along with the positive responses and suggestions from those listening and without the demonising and the grotesquely violent elimination of the doubters (who could have been given a leaflet and a 10/10 T-shirt to take home with them instead.)

As a doubter myself, I don't feel as if I'm a member of an oppressed minority; I simply resent the demeaning put down tactics of many of the AGW proponents and their attempts to indiscriminately denigrate and ridicule doubters, whatever their credentials (it's fair enough to draw attention to those who speak largely from ignorance, but that 'model' shouldn't be used to caricature all doubters.)
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Dale » October 7th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Franny and the others are funded by taxpayers money and the stupid-tax on our fuel bills.

Onward and upward
http://www.1010global.org/uk/2010/10/sorry
Dale

Postby Sprocket » October 13th, 2010, 8:13 am

GregB wrote:Thanks for that - I'll be interested to hear about their response. I have a feeling they're going to get a lot of protests about their ill-conceived video-nasty, in fact.
I've now had a reply - and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's a genuine apology and admission that they got things seriously wrong, not, as I expected, a bit of meaningless corporate-speak and a fake apology along the lines of "We're sorry that you were offended by..." (i.e. putting the blame on me for being thin-skinned), which is what you often get. I'd've preferred "Dear Mr Horsfall" to "hello Stephen" at the beginning, but that's a very minor quibble. I haven't yet followed the link in it, because I've only just seen the email, so I'll comment on that if necessary in a minute or two.
They wrote:
Hello Stephen,

I'm replying from 10:10 to apologise for the real mistake that we made with the video. Apologies for the delay in replying to your mail. As I'm sure you appreciate, we have received a lot of correspondence on the topic.

You may have seen that our UK director has issued a statement on the the issue. If not, and you are interested, you can view it at http://www.1010global.org/uk/2010/10/st ... k-director. As I hope you will see, we're taking the matter extremely seriously and are reviewing our processes and procedures to identify how this was allowed to happen.

Please accept our sincere apologies.
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » October 13th, 2010, 8:15 am

This is the statement on the link, and it too is a fulsome, not to say grovelling, apology.
As you may have heard, last week, 10:10 made a mistake by releasing a short film about cutting carbon which was supposed to be humorous but in the event upset a lot of people. We quickly realised that we had made a serious mistake and took it down from our website within hours.

We also issued a statement apologising but there has subsequently been quite a lot of negative comment, particularly on blogs, and understandable concern from others working hard to build support for action on climate change.

We are also sorry to our corporate sponsors, delivery partners and board members, who have been implicated in this situation despite having no involvement in the film’s production or release

I am very sorry for our mistake and want to reassure you that we will do everything in our power to ensure it does not happen again.

10:10 is a young and creative team but we will learn lessons from this. We are going to investigate what happened, review our processes and procedures, and share the results with our partners. Responsibility for this process is being taken by the 10:10 board of directors.

This media coverage for this film was not the kind of publicity we wanted for the cause of saving the climate, nor for 10:10, and we certainly didn’t mean to do anything to distract from all the efforts of those in other organisations who are working so hard to secure effective action on climate change.

If you have been in touch with us personally about the film, we will be replying to individual emails over the next few days. I’m sorry not to have emailed you about this more quickly - although I have followed developments closely, I’ve been working from home with a four-week-old baby. I thank you for your patience and your support for the 10:10 campaign.

Eugenie Harvey

Director 10:10 UK
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » October 16th, 2010, 8:28 am

Any comments on the above? Greg? Anyone?
Sprocket

Postby GregB » October 16th, 2010, 3:40 pm

Sorry, Steve, I wasn't ignoring that post, just waiting for details of the promised e-mail to each objector to be posted to kill two birds with one stone. However, if you pin me down, I'll just say the following.

It occurs to me that those in charge of the campaign have been very lax in their monitoring of the people charged with making videos to promote their cause. They've also displayed a lot of irresponsibility in allowing the video to be shown after, presumably, vetting it. It's all very well to talk of its being 'humorous' but a little media sensitivity might have told them that a lot of people would not find it in the least funny, as has proved to be the case. Also, humour (or not) apart, the way it depicts doubters as some kind of social outcasts or pariahs is despicable, though once again, the organisers must have found nothing objectionable in that before giving it the green light. At least the affair will, hopefully, have served to dissuade anyone from producing such vile agitprop again. The problem now is that any new, much milder propaganda features will be seen by many as just a cover-up operation and the medium will, indeed, be the message
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby different glory » September 13th, 2011, 12:18 am

This is probably slightly off-topic, but I didn't think it warranted a whole new thread.

It came as news to me (and was reported as news in this past weekend's edition of the International Herald Tribune ) that Google searches (and I would suppose any other search conducted by internet) actually use a measurable amount of electricity over and above the obvious use in the home or workplace or whatever where the search request is initiated. Each time a Google (or other) search is carried out, the company's data centres use (a tiny amount of) electricity specifically for that search. The amounts are small, but collectively add up to about 12.5 million watts. This figure is for Google searches alone; by the time other uses, such as Youtube searches, are added in, it comes to 260 million watts, enough to power 200,000 homes, or (says the writer, James Glanz) about the quarter of the output of a nuclear power plant.

Google has pointed out that watching a Youtube is "cheaper" in energy use terms than buying a DVD made with industrially-produced plastic etc, and that searching by Google's search engine is probably cheaper than using petrol to travel to a library to look for the information -- but on the other hand the quest for fairly ephemerally desired "knowledge" (or entertainment) has far outstripped all previous impulse to go to libraries, cinemas etc. :(

So there you go -- another contributor to our astonishing appetite for energy use.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Pondero » April 21st, 2012, 1:15 pm

Time to resurrect this topic. There is no consensus on global warming.Do you agree or disagree?

When Harold MacMillan arrived at Oxford to study the classics, his tutor said."Four years' study will qualify you for nothing at all - except to recognize rot when you hear it."
My view is that catastrophic effects of man made global warming are nonsense,we don't have to worry about it.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion