Tobacco displays banned in England

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Tobacco displays banned in England

Postby Lyn » April 6th, 2012, 6:43 pm

I also thought Greg's remark was witty.
What people do in private is their business and in order to suffer ill effects from passive smoking you would have to be in a smoke filled room for many hours every day. I know nowhere that would happen, you can't even smoke in a pub nowadays.
Moderation in all things. A little smoking won't hurt you, heavy smoking will. Plenty of others things we do hurt us too.
Also agree with what Pat said about the government demonising smokers when they make plenty of money out of it. Hypocrites.
I gave it up some years ago but have no objection to someone lighting up in my presence.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » April 7th, 2012, 7:22 am

A little smoking won't hurt you, heavy smoking will.

And you know that for a fact do you? My middle daughter is asthmatic and any tobacco smoke can trigger an attack! :evil: I will willingly demonise smokers, and if anyone had the temerity to attempt smoke in my presence I would tell them exactly what I think of them and their filthy habit! I make it quite clear to any workman on our property that smoking will not be tolerated before they start the job.
sarniajoy

Postby GregB » April 7th, 2012, 7:34 am

Vix's observation was obviously meant to apply in general, where it does hold true. Clearly it doesn't apply to people with respiratory problems, like your daughter, but they are an exception.
I make it quite clear to any workman on our property that smoking will not be tolerated before they start the job.

Presumably you keep a well-thumbed copy of the Yellow Pages handy... :mrgreen:
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby sarniajoy » April 7th, 2012, 8:06 am

GregB wrote:Vix's observation was obviously meant to apply in general, where it does hold true. Clearly it doesn't apply to people with respiratory problems, like your daughter, but they are an exception.
I make it quite clear to any workman on our property that smoking will not be tolerated before they start the job.

Presumably you keep a well-thumbed copy of the Yellow Pages handy... :mrgreen:

I have never had a problem. If I employ someone to work on my property I expect them to play by my rules, I am paying them after all!
sarniajoy

Postby Sprocket » April 7th, 2012, 11:21 am

Your house, your rules, but trying to restrict it as much as possible everywhere is unreasonable. Some restrictions, yes, and also full information about the dangers (as long as it's accurate, and doesn't pretend that all forms of tobacco consumption are equally dangerous - and incidentally, you never hear any mention of the fact that tobacco is known to provide some protection from Alzheimer's), but we have gone way beyond a reasonable balance between warning of the dangers and protecting the vulnerable, and personal liberty. It's time for some of the anti-smoking legislation to be rolled back.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby patjoseph » April 7th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:
I will willingly demonise smokers, and if anyone had the temerity to attempt smoke in my presence I would tell them exactly what I think of them and their filthy habit!

In that case you are a very rude and intolerant person, and far from the Liberal person you try to put over most of the time. Smoking is highly addicitive, and most people start when they don't know better, and it is a very difficult to quit, it needs understanding, not the intolerance you are showing :(
patjoseph

Postby GregB » April 7th, 2012, 2:27 pm

patjoseph wrote:
Sarniajoy wrote:
I will willingly demonise smokers, and if anyone had the temerity to attempt smoke in my presence I would tell them exactly what I think of them and their filthy habit!

In that case you are a very rude and intolerant person, and far from the Liberal person you try to put over most of the time. Smoking is highly addicitive, and most people start when they don't know better, and it is a very difficult to quit, it needs understanding, not the intolerance you are showing :(

Ah, Pat Joseph, you've hit the nail on the head - those apostles of tolerance, the liberals of our time, are only intolerant when it comes to those who disagree with their arrogant certainties. A true, decent radical is one who will at least give some thought to the other's position (or predicament!) before pronouncing judgementally and, I would hope, based on the kind of empathy which takes into account all our human frailty, whatever our political stances and educational pedigree (many such people are university-conditioned intellectuals who can never understand that their ivory-towered little world beyond their inflated brains - and egos - is not the real world.)
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Sprocket » April 7th, 2012, 2:41 pm

That, Greg, is what all real liberals do. Sarnie is no Liberal, as most of her posts on any subject indicate. The Mail and the Telegraph reguarly demonise the unemployed, asylum seekers, single mothers, gays, etc. The Guardian as regularly expresses sympathy with their plight, even if it doesn't always approve of their actions. Compare, for example, Polly Toynbee with Melanie Phillips, or Simon Hoggart with Peter Hitchens.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » April 7th, 2012, 4:08 pm

I was speaking generally about a little smoking doing no harm. Obviously it will harm anyone with asthma. However, yes, I do know for a fact that a little smoking, and I do mean little, generally does no harm.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 7th, 2012, 4:20 pm

patjoseph wrote:
Sarniajoy wrote:

If anyone is rude and intolerant it is you Patjoseph, who forgot or purposely decided (more likely) to include Sarniajoy's preceding sentence explaining that her middle daughter could have an asthmatic attack triggered by second hand smoke in her vicinity.
The two sentences are to be read in conjunction, and when they are you will see that her comments are quite reasonable.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion