Tobacco displays banned in England

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Tobacco displays banned in England

Postby patjoseph » April 7th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Pondero
It is people with attitudes like yours cause non believers to see Christianity as an intolerant religeon, so please don't lecture me about intolerance!
patjoseph

Postby Pondero » April 7th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Duplicated
Last edited by Pondero on April 7th, 2012, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Pondero » April 7th, 2012, 6:22 pm

I only make attacks on people's views when I see they are being deliberately unfair to others just to score debating points. With you Patjoseph, debate has reached a new low level.In your attack on Sarniajoy' the sentence you missed preceded the one of Sarniajoy's you quoted. And it explained why she thinks the way she does.And you deliberately ignored it.
Of course there has been a personal attack on me by you in the distant past and I answered it.
Greg for some honestly unknown reason - as far as I know- waded into me quite a while ago.I was astounded and said that his comments didn't deserve a reply.I said that because I didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
Then there was that latest skirmish of mine with Erminehead.What else...
With Sprocket, we have had our ups and downs.

OK, I am not a Liberal, but a Conservative in my political views, and I do believe that the poor should not have to beg or visit food banks (they do here) and that they should have a decent place to live in.That pensions should be sufficient for a reasonable standard of living whether the recipients have contributed or not. People who fall through the cracks of society should be supported by government and charitable donations.
I also believe that the geniuses at RIM who made billions robbed no-one to do that, and earned the profit they made, unlike some bank CEO's in our country.
I do not believe as Sweetpeace does that RIM's motive was greed,and that she or anyone else is entitled to that money.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Sweet Peace » April 7th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Well, I could respond, but I think the tone of this thread is enough to make me want to not come to St Thads. What terrible rudeness on the part of several people. Really, what is the point?
If I still had my lung illness and would bleed from my lungs whenever I walked past someone smoking in the street, I'd be insistent that no-one smoked near me. If I'm eating at an outdoor cafe and someone lights up a cigarette I either have to move tables or have my eating experience ruined -and a meal out is a treat for me, not one I like spoilt by some selfish bastard. I think it's quite reasonable that people are protected from having cancer-causing smoke in their presence -including at the beach, where tons of butts are left, and walking down the street, and it ought to be against the law to smoke with children in the car or in the same room at home.
A friend of mine is dying of tongue cancer - not a pretty illness.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby GregB » April 8th, 2012, 7:14 am

Sweet Peace wrote:
...it ought to be against the law to smoke with children in the car or in the same room at home.

To reiterate something I said in an earlier post, SP, how do you enforce such a law? You must either have members of the family acting as informers for the authorities, as in 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', or else police raids on homes to ascertain whether anyone is smoking in the living room. Or, again, as in Orwell's vision, do you install cameras in every room of every house to observe potential social criminals in the act of polluting their offspring's lungs?

The title of that old classic hit song by The Platters might have to be changed to 'Smoke Doesn't Get In Your Eyes (Or Anywhere Else.)'
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Sweet Peace » April 8th, 2012, 12:19 pm

It would be easy enough to see if people smoke in cars carrying children. As for in the home, it would be a matter of reporting by school teachers, doctors, welfare workers - much in the same way that other abuses of children are reported.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Lyn » April 8th, 2012, 12:20 pm

SP, no-one is arguing that smoking in public places should be allowed. It is the idea of people being banned from smoking in their own homes that goes against the grain. In this country there is nowhere you can smoke in public except, perhaps, the street (that used to be considered "very common" for women when I was young and I never did it), and that would be just passing someone. You cannot smoke sitting outside a cafe here. I have no idea about 'bus stops though I do occasionally go on a 'bus I haven't seen anyone smoke at a 'bus stop for years. You cannot smoke on a station platform waiting for a train, or in a pub though some pubs have heated outdoor areas for smokers. However, if someone wants to smoke at home or in their garden or in a field with no-one else around, it would be wrong to interfere with that.

I used to have many respiratory problems, I don't now that I no longer smoke. I had a chest infection following a cold last summer. I used to have five or six a year including pneumonia, pleurisy and bronchitis. My main reason for giving up, however, was my fear of arterial disease. I daresay my lungs are not wonderful because I smoked heavily for years, latterly less, but they are OK, I don't get breathless. Maybe I will have lung cancer in the future, many old ex-smokers die of lung cancer and it only shows up on PM. I am not worried about that, I have always had a greater fear of stroke or losing limbs.

No-one nowadays would smoke around children though they used to, I grew up with nearly all adult males smoking and so did most other people.
It's good that we are aware of the dangers of smoking and take care to be considerate but it could all go too far SP and that is what I think some posters are concerned about.
Lyn

Postby Liz » April 8th, 2012, 1:30 pm

I'm glad of the current smoking bans, but don't see the point of the 'behind the counter' approach. (I too thought Greg's previous comment witty. :) )

You can smoke sitting outside cafes, restaurants and pubs here Vix. Almost all the outside tables (unless they have covers/gazebo on top) have ashtrays. Whilst I'm glad of the ban, in that I can go to pubs and things, and enjoy a meal (I have allergy induced asthma which can be triggered by smoke), in hot weather we still have to sit inside as there is often a cloud of smoke at every table outside. And at bus stops, whilst technically it is illegal (as they often have a cover, and there are signs telling you so), a lot of people still light up, so I have to move away. This time it's more annoying when it's raining, as it means me and the kids get rained on, rather than breathing in the smoke. :(

And people do still smoke around children. I live in a fairly poor area, and it's not uncommon to see people smoking whilst pushing prams, or in cars with thier children. I don't think smoking in your own homes should be made illegal, as that breachs my comfort zone for privacy and the freedom of individuals, but I would like there to be a rolling age limit (increasing each year, by a year) for cigarettes so that they eventually become illegal, but anybody who is currently addicted can still get their fix (whilst still getting help to quit from the NHS until they do). I also think the smoking ban should be extended slightly - to cover children's parks, and areas around (ie by the front door of) schools and community centres/areas where children regularly go to and fro.
Liz

Postby Lyn » April 8th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Ah well, it must vary from place to place Liz. I know that none of our local restaurants (and there are plenty in Chislehurst) allow people to smoke outside, by which I mean at the table. I haven't seen someone light up at a 'bus stop for years. I must be honest and say I hardly know anyone who does smoke and those that do are considerate about it. Many young people, especially girls, smoke but presumably they do it with those of like minds. They all seem to give it up once they have responsibilities.
I quite miss smoking and this thread is making me wish I had a fag.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 8th, 2012, 5:09 pm

In Ontario (and probably all of Canada) tobacco displays have been banned since 2008.It is an under the counter type of sale.Very rarely do I see anyone smoking. The last time I was outside the Shipp centre in Etobicoke, I asked a man standing outside the building, shivering in the winter cold, drawing consolation by puffing at a fag. He was not allowed to do it inside the public building . (it was like a shopping mall inside).That was in Feb. I believe, and I asked him which elevator inside led to the underground parking lot.He was very helpful in pointing out directions. I was lost after parking and exiting another way.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion