Could you live on £1 a day?

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Could you live on £1 a day?

Postby Sprocket » May 14th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Bag of spuds, four tins of the cheapest supermarket baked beans, a box of 40 of the cheapest tea-bags, 1 litre of milk, the cheapest sliced loaf you can find, and a small tub of the cheapest marg. Probably £7 or less, and you could, at a pinch, live on that for a week, though it'd be bloody boring, so I don't intend trying, but rispeck to Vix for giving it a go.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » May 15th, 2012, 8:04 am

I think I tried to explain that I am not really giving it a go, Sprocks. I probably eat on a pound a day or less most of the time anyway, I just wanted to prove it. Your suggested diet would not suit me as I don't eat bread or baked beans but certainly the potatoes would be good and I always have milk. I'd substitute the beans and bread for cheese, the odd packet of Nairn oatcakes and banana or apple. I hadn't thought about buying tea bags.

I am sitting here now with a cup of coffee, this morning I forgot all about going without (my original thinking was that buying packets of tea and coffee would take up most of the five pounds so I'd do without). Anyway I am not going to worry about that.

There will be temptation today as I am going out to Pilates later on and I always feel hungry when I am out. There is a deli just around the corner to where I have my class and I usually go in there and buy some really nice things. I shall resist, come home and have a bowl of porridge. Fruit this evening.
Lyn

Postby Val » May 15th, 2012, 3:25 pm

GregB wrote:Yes, I'm sure we're all aware of that, Val. However, this thread is not basically about 'those poor unfortunates who have to survive on that pound a day' (you think we're all insensitively ignorant in that respect?) but whether you personally could eat on that sum per day. So what's your response to that, all the conscience-goading stuff apart?

Conscience apart, yes I am sure we could all survive for a time on £ 1.00 a day for basic food stuffs.
But to do it properly so as to prolong life for as long as possible then we’d have to have some sort of regime as to what foods would better sustain life.
During hard times in Ireland millions survived on potatoes, buttermilk and a mix of flour and potatoes for bread they also ate some vegetables and wild berries but the potato was their staple.
So for myself I’d buy full cream milk and as much potatoes as I could get for the money next day I’d buy flour, and because I like baking I would make potato bread 40% well mashed potatoes and 60% flour with a little butter and salt, for the final 10 minutes of baking increase the oven temp and you get a lovely golden skin/crust on your bread let it go cold and then toast it until golden then butter well and eat :good: .
You would have to be frugal with the money for the first week so that you could purchase your foodstuffs in useful quantities, so I think it very possible to survive on foods for your pound a day
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » May 16th, 2012, 7:40 am

Interesting - thanks Val. Actually, the toasted mashed potato bread sounds delicious!

One obvious point which should be made, I think, is that it is more difficult for one person alone to manage such a frugal budget for eating than two or three together, when their pounds combined would allow for greater bulk-buying and thus more food on the plate (and perhaps more variety.) In any event, it does seem that bulk-buying in whatever proportions is the only feasible option, especially for covering the three main daily meals. I noticed in our local supermrket yesterday that the cheapest packet soups were at 60 centimos, just under half of the allotted daily amount (the current euro exchange rate for the pound sterling is at 1.25), but this would only leave 65 centimos for the rest.

Any more contributions as we await Vix's update?

Just out of related interest and going to the other extreme of culinary excesses, this article appeared on the Internet this morning. It's enough to put you off rich, high-calorie foods for life...
http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blogs/jo- ... 08890.html
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Lyn » May 16th, 2012, 8:42 am

I don't really have much of an update Greg. Yesterday I decided against cereal and had a very small cube of cheese with a tomato, and drank some milk.
It would be easier for more than one person to have variety in their diet by pooling their pound a day allowance, after all that is what caterers do, buy in bulk because it is cheaper.
Anyway I don't feel hungry, neither do I feel as though I fancy anything.
Lyn

Postby different glory » May 16th, 2012, 9:51 am

The potato bread does sound great -- though I'm not sure how the
butter well
part would go, on the budget!
In Australia, for some reason (or at least the parts I know well) carrots are usually cheap, usually around or under a dollar a kilo, so one of my purchases would be a pound of those, to have some raw the first day, and sliced up and cooked in one of those totally un-nutritious instant noodle soupls (findable at 25 cents) on other days. Unless I could find some "yesterday's bread" I think I'd have to do without for the week.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » May 16th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Carrots are cheap here too dg, in fact lots of fruit and veg is quite cheap unless you go for something exotic or out of season. Even then there are usually offers at the supermarket, 3for2 and BOGOF.

The potato bread does sound nice but I avoid flour so wouldn't do for me. I'd rather have a jacket potato with cheese.

Not long back from Pilates. I ate three Nairn oatcakes with taramasalata (the taramasalata has to be used by today), and then I felt full up. I had a cup of milk too. My little bit of soft fruits which I mentioned earlier in the week have to be used by today or tomorrow so I might have them tonight. I had every intention of making myself a bowl of porridge, which I like very much, but can't face the thought of it atm. Perhaps I'll have that tomorrow as I am going nowhere. My problem is that the less I eat, the less I want to eat so I have to be careful or I turn into a skeleton. Of course I make up for it at weekends when John is at home, roast dinners with plenty of veg and sometimes cooked breakfast, etc.
Lyn

Postby Liz » May 16th, 2012, 7:58 pm

About potatoes, apparently it is one of a few foodstuffs that you could live off alone as they provide almost all the different vitamins and minerals that we need to eat. So, if it wasn't too boring, you could buy just potatoes which when supplemented by a few own-grown veg and fruit, would be more than sufficient nutritionally.
Liz

Postby Lyn » May 16th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Yes, potatoes in their entirety are quite nutritious. I might have one tomorrow, baked with a small amount of grated cheese.
I ate my little bit of soft fruit this evening. I'm keeping my fluid levels up and feeling relatively healthy.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » May 17th, 2012, 7:00 pm

I had porridge for lunch and just had a little bit of cheese with a couple of oatcakes.
I think I will soon be able to slide under the door (not really).
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion