Insects

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Insects

Postby Bev » July 14th, 2012, 12:40 am

That's a good idea, re the a/c 24/7, Pondero. It keeps the humidity down, which is much more damaging than the heat. On the ants, we use a dry product called Amdro. We have to be careful to use it when we know there will be a few days without rain, but sprinkling it on the mounds works very well! I've even sprinkled it in the dry areas, under the porch or inside the screened areas, but you have to take care with pets if you do that.

On the little roaches, Vix, they are much more menacing here. We call them German roaches, and often even pest control can't completely rid you of them. They get behind everything! We had gotten them from one of the kids who brought the laundry home to wash. His apartment had them. At one point, they had nested inside the back of the stove/oven and shorted it out. We finally consulted a natural pest control place that gave us a several-step process to follow. One product was a gel that we put in corners, kind of like caulk. They said it attracts them, and they eat it, but it acts as birth control. The other was a spray derived from the cyrsanthemum flower that is poison to them but safe for humans and pets. Finally, after a couple of months, we saw the last one and have been free of them since.

The big ones are easier to get rid of, as they really hate it. It both kills them and works as a deterrent.
Bev

Postby Pondero » July 14th, 2012, 10:34 am

Forgive me if I mentioned this story, or part of what I am about to write, before.
Many years ago I was a union delegate from our office to a local AGM (for Ontario) of PIPSC in Toronto, and there was a social evening and my wife came with me. Nerds were members of the same union, scientists from various federal departments were present.
Glass of wine in hand we stood listening to one man tell us with great enthusiasm, his life's work,the life cycle of ...the German cockroach, found in parts of Southern Ontario....fascinating :grin:
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » July 14th, 2012, 10:51 am

I never discovered the ethnic origins of the cockroaches in my flat but I know the ones we saw at work were HUGE and very difficult to get rid of. They would go for a while and then return, breeding around the central heating pipes etc and coming out at night, when no-one was around, to have fun I suppose. They might have been German cockroaches.
Lyn

Postby Bev » July 14th, 2012, 1:15 pm

I found a chart with pictures of the different cockroaches here. *shutter* I have a phobia that can physically affect me even when seeing a picture. :worried:

Anyway, the big ones we most often find inside the house (if you don't have pest control or boric acid) are the American cockroach. We mistakenly call them palmetto bugs probably because the palmetto or palm trees so prevalent here are perfect breeding places for both(between the stalk and the palm fronds.) The adult American cockroach is on average about 2 inches in length, and probably 3/4 inch across the middle. A German cockroach is much smaller. The adult will be at most 3/4 inch in length, and less than 1/4 inch wide (at the widest part.)

Both have the similar breeding habits and are most active at night. For some reason, though, boric acid doesn't eliminate or deter the German cockroaches.

I wonder if you have a version of the American cockroach there. Our New England relatives have often told us the big ones are seldom if ever found there.
Bev

Postby Pondero » July 14th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Cockroaches are brown and I never saw one of them until working the night shift at the Steel Company of Canada in the cold rolled steel finishing packaging dep' t. I never saw one in England, but when I was a toddler on Church Lane living as we were in a 17th century house, I did see beetles which we called Black Clocks, and they were just as bad.The house was pulled down in 1939 and we moved to a new Council house, where we could hear crickets at night near the coal fire place...

Bev your photos of roaches are cute.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Bev » July 14th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Cute? :worried:
Bev

Postby Lyn » July 14th, 2012, 2:52 pm

The ones I had in my flat looked a bit like the German cockroaches in the picture but they were very small.
The ones at work could have been any of them but were darker in colour and rounder, fatter! They didn't bother me except that I hated seeing them dying in the morning. I felt the least the pest control people could do was sweep them away before people got to work.
I wonder what purpose cockroaches serve in the eco system.
Lyn

Postby GregB » July 14th, 2012, 3:15 pm

I never had any problem with roaches - the problem was with the rest of the joint and making the various cigarette papers stick together, not to mention preventing the tobacco and the shit from falling out... :blink: :D
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Bev » July 14th, 2012, 4:03 pm

I had to read your post twice, Greg, to get it. :D I wonder if the kids still call them joints.

Victoria Plum wrote:I wonder what purpose cockroaches serve in the eco system.

I would think they serve two purposes. One to consume pretty much anything, which I suppose serves as a kind of recycling in nature. The other is as a food source. I looked it up, though, and wiki says they really only have two predators: centipedes and wasps. Another site said bats eat them. I've seen birds eat them, if they see them.
Bev

Postby Pondero » July 14th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Nice and juicy for birds Bev. The ones at Stelco were American cockroaches, not the Germans ones.
Once in MAD magazine there was a cartoon of a man booking a room at a hotel.I'll never forget it. The desk clerk (owner in this case) was a giant cockroach wearing a suit and smoking get a cigar. Lots of little cockroaches were already carrying the guest's luggage to his room. The guest was adamant saying, "I can't stand cockroaches" . Not realizing of course that he was talking to to one.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion