The Hippy Movement

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: The Hippy Movement

Postby Lyn » August 31st, 2012, 1:17 pm

When it was over Pondy, "Peace with honour" and all that, many Americans referred to the Vietnam war as America's shame.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 31st, 2012, 1:58 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:When it was over Pondy, "Peace with honour" and all that, many Americans referred to the Vietnam war as America's shame.

And many didn't, blaming the President for having his forces fighting with one hand tied behind their backs. I mean by that -that Hanoi should have been bombed to smithereens and it wasn't.
Anyway, this is a sideline to the main issue of hippies. If someone wants to open a thread on the Vietnam War, do so, but this is not the place for it.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 31st, 2012, 2:21 pm

It was you who mentioned Vietnam first Pondy. If Hanoi had been bombed to smithereens, lots of innocent people, women and children, would have been killed. 5t's easy to be idealistic about a war in which you and yours were not involved.

However, are there "hippy colonies" or "communities", as they would prefer to be called, nowadays? I don't know of any.
Last edited by Lyn on August 31st, 2012, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Postby Bev » August 31st, 2012, 2:27 pm

Back to hippies, when I was in my teens, I remember romanticizing Height Ashbury imagining a group of free spirits writing, playing music, driving to the beach with their big dogs and frisbees in a VW bus with flowers painted all over it. So, when the youngest traveled there with a friend to ride bikes for two weeks, I looked forward to his culture report. :D He observed many areas where older, homeless people seemed to congregate. It made him uncomfortable, and he wondered if they were the leftovers from the hippie movement I had once, so ignorantly, idolized.
Last edited by Bev on August 31st, 2012, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bev

Postby Lyn » August 31st, 2012, 2:31 pm

I also thought the hippy movement seemed pretty cool when I was young and so did a lot of others but I don't know anyone who was more than a "weekend hippy" or "hippy type", who actually lived communally or at least not for any length of time. I must admit the communal living would have put me off more than anything else, I like my privacy and decent sanitation. I do, however, like pretty, flowing, flowery clothes and the music. So I must be a pseud :D .
Lyn

Postby flying finn » August 31st, 2012, 9:12 pm

During the early nineties I was part of the rave scene, just after the so-called second summer of love. That was about as close to the hippy movement I ever got. We were well into it then. I remember at the time thinking that if I'd been the same age during the sixties I'd have been a hippy. When we weren't going out to raves we went round friends houses listening to the Beatles and getting stoned. Pretty sad really but I thought it was cool at the time.
flying finn

Postby Lyn » August 31st, 2012, 9:26 pm

All part of being young ff.
Rave always struck me as a bit noisy - how did boy and girl ever get to know eachother over the sound of the music?
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 31st, 2012, 9:51 pm

flying finn wrote:During the early nineties I was part of the rave scene, just after the so-called second summer of love. That was about as close to the hippy movement I ever got. We were well into it then. I remember at the time thinking that if I'd been the same age during the sixties I'd have been a hippy. When we weren't going out to raves we went round friends houses listening to the Beatles and getting stoned. Pretty sad really but I thought it was cool at the time.

Now what on earth is "the rave scene"?
And what was the first summer of love all about?
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Bev » August 31st, 2012, 10:22 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:All part of being young ff.
Rave always struck me as a bit noisy - how did boy and girl ever get to know eachother over the sound of the music?

:lol:

None of the boys were really into the "rave" scene, but I knew what it was because they told me about it. And I often thought the same thing you said here, Vix.
Bev

Postby Palaeologus » September 1st, 2012, 9:15 am

As an intractable, unworkable bohemian from the cradle, I'd be naturally in sympathy with the desire to tear down the moribund dreariness of the post-war world; to burn collars, ties, bras, inherited empty affiliations and conventions of one kind or another - and all to a glorious explosion of sounds never heard before. Love, peace, music and plain old fun. I'm in .

Too bad it all degenerated more or less instantly into excess, hypocritical posturing and mindless hedonism - but that's human beings for you - tearing down empty conventions and replacing them with other, often worse ones.
Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.
- St Gregory of Nyssa
Palaeologus

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion