Jimmy Savile and Britain's Moral Guardians

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Jimmy Savile and Britain's Moral Guardians

Postby Sprocket » October 8th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Pretty sickening to see the more salacious newspapers lining up to condemn JS, now that he's safely dead and can't sue them for libel, when they praised him to the skies during his life. It is unlikely that no-one on any of these papers had any inkling while he was alive about what he got up to in the 60s and 70s: it was apparently well-known in the BBC, and they must have had contacts there. The Sun, that stern voice of traditional morality, has started a campaign to strip him posthumously of his knighthood, in spite of the fact that, as they admit, the legal position is that a knighthood becomes extinct when the holder dies, so it doesn't exist to be stripped. This, of course, is the paper that daily has a nude photo on page 3 of a young woman, many only 18.
As a more reasoned voice put it on the news, in the 60s and 70s this sort of thing was taken much less seriously, and was all part of the "groupie" culture. That is no excuse, but let's keep a sense of proportion.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Re: Jimmy Savile and Britain's Moral Guardians

Postby Erminehead » October 11th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Did those groupies include the unwell children he molested at Stoke Mandeville?

E
"In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."
Eric Hoffer
Erminehead

Postby Lyn » October 11th, 2012, 9:53 pm

We will hear more and more of what went on, not only at Stoke Mandeville but Leeds Royal Infirmary where he was a volunteer porter, and at Broadmoor. There are none so vulnerable as the sick, the imprisoned and those in care. None of this has come as any surprise to me because I had been told what he was like when I was a teenager. He was just another sicko using the cover of charitable works to gain access to the vulnerable. When he died last year I had a feeling a lot would eventually come out but I do find the revelations extremely upsetting, so much so that I turn the news off when his name is mentioned.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » October 12th, 2012, 8:19 am

Erminehead wrote:Did those groupies include the unwell children he molested at Stoke Mandeville?

E

I'm not defending him, I'm condemning the hypocritical sleaze-merchants such as the Sun.
Sprocket

Postby Erminehead » October 12th, 2012, 8:51 am

I agree with you that the Sun are having their cake and eating it. But the BBC are far worse. They effectively acted as his enablers for decades.

E
"In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."
Eric Hoffer
Erminehead

Postby Pondero » October 12th, 2012, 9:27 am

The "Shaming of Sir Jim Saville" the headline reads on page A2 of the National Post in Canada this morning,accompanied with a large photo of the entertainer himself sporting to-hat, morning suit , big smile and large cigar.(files received says the NP from the Daily Telegraph).
Amazing how bad news and scandal travel the world.
Saville should not get away with it, but the sensationalism accompanying this ought to be tuned down a few notches.The man is dead ..
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Val » October 12th, 2012, 9:40 am

Being dead doesn’t take from what he did or the responsibility of those who covered up his crimes, his estate should now go towards helping all abused victims, but a full investigation must be undertaken to weed out those who helped and covered up his crimes as they are just as responsible
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » October 12th, 2012, 9:53 am

Val wrote:Being dead doesn’t take from what he did or the responsibility of those who covered up his crimes, his estate should now go towards helping all abused victims, but a full investigation must be undertaken to weed out those who helped and covered up his crimes as they are just as responsible

I partly agree with you Val,Saville should be held fully responsible for what he did.He can't be tried and found guilty as he is already dead.He should be stripped of his honours, and that process has already begun.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » October 12th, 2012, 5:05 pm

As I've already mentioned above, his knighthood - and presumably any other honours - died with him, so there's nothing left to strip. This is beginning to look like petty vindictiveness.
Sprocket

Postby Palaeologus » October 12th, 2012, 6:29 pm

What to JS and Mrs Thatcher have in common?

They both interfered with miners.

:mrgreen:
Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.
- St Gregory of Nyssa
Palaeologus

Next

Return to General discussion