Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Emotional restraint versus emotorrhoea

Postby GregB » October 22nd, 2012, 12:22 pm

Sprocket wrote:... it's not good to be completely buttoned up

I totally agree with Steve here.
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_a ... -shirt.jpg
:mrgreen:

As for 'rebirthing', there's a Spanish word which well describes that kind of modish twaddle - 'mierda!' (To help Bev practise her French, that would be 'merde!' :grin: )

Lennon was a complete pain in the ass. (To help Bev with her British English variants, that would be 'pain in the neck' :D ) Performers don't have to air their tedious private lives or their troubled childhoods in public. Mind you, he does deserve a modicum of sympathy for having fallen under the malign sway of that ghastly Japanese harridan, Yuckoo Ohno. :x
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Bev » October 22nd, 2012, 4:41 pm

GregB wrote:
Sprocket wrote:... it's not good to be completely buttoned up

I totally agree with Steve here.
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_a ... -shirt.jpg
:mrgreen:

As for 'rebirthing', there's a Spanish word which well describes that kind of modish twaddle - 'mierda!' (To help Bev practise her French, that would be 'merde!' :grin: )

:lol:

But, who's to say something is worthless unless one has experienced it. How awful for people who have had emotional traumas that has arrested emotional growth. We know that happens! To me, anything that helps one get past that and get on with a healthier life is good.

Having said that, there was a ten-year-old girl in Colorado who was suffocated during a "rebirthing" ritual. The article kept showing up when I googled the term. How horrible for that little girl.

Lennon was a complete pain in the ass. (To help Bev with her British English variants, that would be 'pain in the neck' :D ) Performers don't have to air their tedious private lives or their troubled childhoods in public. Mind you, he does deserve a modicum of sympathy for having fallen under the malign sway of that ghastly Japanese harridan, Yuckoo Ohno. :x

I was always under the impression he adored her and visa versa. Sure, many blamed the Beatles' demise on her influence, but to me what mattered most was Lennon's happiness. He did seem very happy with her (and visa versa.)
Bev

Postby GregB » October 22nd, 2012, 6:33 pm

Bev wrote:
I was always under the impression he adored her and visa versa. Sure, many blamed the Beatles' demise on her influence, but to me what mattered most was Lennon's happiness. He did seem very happy with her (and visa versa.)

Yeah...Esmeralda and Quasimodo, Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler, Elsa Lanchester and Boris Karloff, John and Yoko - say, Cupid, whyantcha get some new glasses, fella? :blink:
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Bev » October 22nd, 2012, 8:37 pm

:D You forgot one: Belle and the Beast (we never do find out how love went once he transformed into a beautiful prince. That is, after all, a kind of bait and switch.) :grin:
Bev

Postby Sprocket » October 23rd, 2012, 5:25 pm

Ferdinand and Isabella, Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu, Fred and Rose West...
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » October 23rd, 2012, 5:42 pm

Ferdinand and Isabella? Why? :scratch:

By the way, did you see my whimsical photo response to your comment about being not completely buttoned?
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Sweet Peace » October 24th, 2012, 11:32 am

Rebirthing can be very cathartic. Trouble is it can be a big like throwing a jigsaw up in the air and hoping it will fall down in the right places. Since I became a Christian I don't hold much confidence in such therapies, but acknowledge that a lot of the benefit can depend on the therapist. The first time I met a good healer he was able, just by holding my feet, to get me to release a flood of tears related to the time I spent in an iron lung and how there was interference from the machine to my own efforts to breathe. It just poured out of me without histrionics.
A lot of the more showy techniques are less effective, imo. You can scream and punch pillows till the cows come home but I doubt you'd ever come to the end of anger and hatred as powerfully as one minute at the Cross. It's a bit like russian dolls, until you chose to give up self-pity and past hurts, whenever you expunge one painful memory there is another to take its place.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Lyn » October 24th, 2012, 3:53 pm

I find the concept of "re-birthing" quite scary but I don't think it would work for me anyway, ie I wouldn't be able to do it. I don't trust "healers" but, SP, it does sound as though being able to express the feelings you couldn't really express as a child, when you were in an iron lung, was therapeutic. Discussing issues and getting things out in the open is good but has to be in a controlled and confidential environment.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » October 24th, 2012, 5:14 pm

GregB wrote:Ferdinand and Isabella? Why? :scratch:

By the way, did you see my whimsical photo response to your comment about being not completely buttoned?

I read the previous posts a bit carelessly - I thought we were just listing monstrous couples. F. and I. were behind the Spanish Inquisition and the persecution of the Jews.
Yes, your lady friend can be as unbuttoned as she likes!
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Previous

Return to General discussion