Fraud

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Fraud

Postby Bev » November 8th, 2014, 2:54 pm

I was being a bit facetious, Vix. There have been too many high-profile murder cases in the USA where the perpetrator gets off completely. We do have some what they call white-collar prisons for corporate criminals and the like that are supposed to be fairly nice.
Bev

Postby Sprocket » November 8th, 2014, 3:01 pm

So do we: "open" prisons, where the security is minimal, to the extent that the prisoners could walk out if they wanted to, but they know that if they do, when they're re-caught they'll go to an ordinary prison where conditions are not as pleasant, so it's in their interests not to.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Serenjen » November 8th, 2014, 9:07 pm

That's my retirement plan. Fraud at 60 and an open prison :twisted:
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Lyn » November 8th, 2014, 9:53 pm

You'd have quite a good job there too Serenjen, totting up your fellow inmates earnings and allowances, deducting what they spend in the "canteen" (shop), etc. You would also be asked to teach people how to use computers etc.

I was being facetious too Bev, when I referred to ill fitting blue overalls worn by laundry workers and the "top dog" working the press. There was a late night Australian soap opera on TV many years ago called "Prisoner Cell Block H", where most of the activity took place in the laundry. Big Bea Smith was the top dog. It was quite 'hammish', the scenery shaking occasionally, and there were plenty of stereotypes, eg one really nice, kind prison officer and one nasty one (known as "Vinegar Tits"), plus a really evil one, Joan, who was known as "The Freak". Every year there would be an escape, a hostage situation and a fire. Cell Block H had a cult following. It was great!

We too have high profile cases where people appear to get off with next to nothing, or there's insufficient evidence so they walk free. It can also work the other way, eg if a person comes from a privileged background they are likely to be 'scapegoated' and given a tougher sentence to show example. (I'm not, of course, talking about murder.)

I always think, if someone gets away with murder they won't get away with it forever, the cops will get them for something else. Think OJ.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 8th, 2014, 10:00 pm

I worked in the city of Leeds,Yorkshire for five or more years. It is said that the hanging sheep of the Leeds coat of arms means, "You may as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb" .And that meant, if you are going to do something wrong, financial fraud , for instance,then do it in a big way!
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Bev » November 10th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Serenjen wrote:That's my retirement plan. Fraud at 60 and an open prison :twisted:

:D
Bev

Postby Pondero » December 12th, 2014, 2:03 am

Hamilton family guilty in mortgage scheme.

"Allan and Andre Muhammed have been convicted in a complicated $1.2 million mortgage fraud in Hamilton (Ont).In 2008, the trio bought homes and then sold them at inflated prices to "straw buyers" who used the stolen identities of five victims in Hamilton and Kitchener to obtain their mortgages. The mortgages would default, leaving the lending institution with a huge loss. At press time all three are awaiting sentencing."
CPA magazine.December 2014.

Now I have read it I don't get it.How could they benefit? Unless they received commission from being real estate agents or mortgage brokers! Complicated it must be :scratch:

There is another fraud about 220,000 bottles of plonk being confiscated by Italian police after being passed off as prized. Brunello and Rossi di Montalcino red wines. If successful this wine would have ended up on the tables of half the restaurants of the world.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Serenjen » December 13th, 2014, 3:27 pm

It says they sold them for inflated prices, so they made their money there on the capital difference surely?

I talked over my retirement plan with a colleague, he said it all sounded feasible but said "of course you've not factored in that you'll have a prison wife" Ah.
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Pondero » December 13th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Serenjen wrote:It says they sold them for inflated prices, so they made their money there on the capital difference surely?

I talked over my retirement plan with a colleague, he said it all sounded feasible but said "of course you've not factored in that you'll have a prison wife" Ah.

But normally, there is no such thing as an inflated price, as it is always what the market will bear. Therefore, the accused couldn't have made money from "straw buyers" because straw buyers would have been on the deal!
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Serenjen » December 14th, 2014, 9:23 am

I read a bit more into this, the straw buyers were in on it too.
Serenjen

Previous

Return to General discussion