Annulment

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Annulment

Postby Lyn » March 10th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Is there anyone who can advise if an annulment can happen after divorce, given that there were grounds for annulment but sometimes young people do not know too much about the law. I am talking about legal annulment, not religious, though the grounds do seem much the same. Thank you.
Lyn

Re: Annulment

Postby Lyn » March 12th, 2015, 7:29 pm

I am not silly and have tried googling etc, hoped someone would know. I do know people who married very young, with various - can't think of word - but did not know what they were doing. One (girl) wanted emancipation (she had a horrible home, aged 18 at a time when emancipation was 21), and he was a decent bloke from Maurititus aged 22 who wanted British passport. They stayed together a year and then parted. Got divorced about two years after separating yet their ages and thoughts point to me at possible annulment. They lived together but no sex.

They have both married happily and had children since but both wish they had had an annulment which I think would have been valid.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2015, 10:49 pm

No suggestions?
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 15th, 2015, 7:44 am

I'm not familiar with the rules and regulations of the matter myself (and perhaps the lack of responses is due to the same problem for the others here) but I have googled 'Post divorce marriage annulment' and various articles came up, though they don't appear to address the situation you outlined directly. However, they do set out the conditions or grounds for marriage annulment in the UK and elsewhere, though they seem to be few in number.
https://www.google.es/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pos ... +annulment

In any event, those who are divorced are, at least, on firm legal ground, whereas remarrying when still legally married to another is a different matter, of course.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
- Cicero
GregB

Postby Lyn » March 15th, 2015, 1:32 pm

I have also done quite a bit of investigation on behalf of my friend who would really like to have only been married once. Update is that she has told her two children and they understand the situation - they've been very happy - so although she would have liked annulment, didn't know enough about it at age 19 - they have accepted the situation and all is now honest so hopefully they will move forward and put it behind them. All's well that ends well - especially no secrets. Thank you, it was a difficult one.
Lyn

Postby different glory » March 23rd, 2015, 3:49 am

Sorry for silence here,VP. I thought I really didn't know enough to speak usefully. I'mglad it's all well now.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Pondero » March 23rd, 2015, 12:16 pm

Is she Catholic by any chance, as the only people I know who seek annulment are!
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 29th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Sorry not to have come back to this and answered you Pondy. No, not Catholic. There are legal grounds for annulment, it happens.
Lyn

Return to General discussion