Britain Today

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Britain Today

Postby Pondero » April 29th, 2015, 10:34 am

I did not experience what is described here about London in the following letter (today's National Post) but a couple of visitors did so,one John Robson wrote an article about it,yesterday. Like me he was born and brought up in Britain.
In Morley (my mother's area) years earlier I did find the people more miserable and the police at a local police station seemingly unwilling to set foot outside their station, and when I talked to a woman police officer in her station I got the impression, why are you bothering me, can't you see I am having a tea break!
Now the letter:
I,too like John Robson, found myself despairing for this morally crippled country when I visited Britain a few years ago. Surrounded by cameras, streets thick with unfriendly people and police determined to squelch any dissent or protest against the governments version of multicultural tolerance, people walk with their heads down and their collars up and rush to get off the streets and into the mindless safety of pubs. My last thought about London was - dear Lord, is this a prescient version of what Toronto will be like 20 years from now?
What a change then from when I first went to Britain in 1976.The air was then filled with a sense of freedom, pride and fun---the self confidence and certainty of a country with an unparalleled past and a powerful destiny. No longer.It is a shell of the country it once was, brought down by cringing apologists and simpletons in wigs holding desperately to their empty peerage.
Canada had better start carving its own history. Our ancestors on both sides of the cultural aisle have all made a mess If you think things are bad in Britain, just consider the horrors if France.

Sharon Maclise, Edmonton
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Re: Britain Today

Postby Serenjen » April 29th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Funny neither did my friend who came over last week with her baby twins.

In fact, she said she found Londoners to be extremely polite and helpful. I think London has changed in the last two or three years, shifted more towards niceness.
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Re: Britain Today

Postby Pondero » April 30th, 2015, 10:24 am

Serenjen wrote:Funny neither did my friend who came over last week with her baby twins.

In fact, she said she found Londoners to be extremely polite and helpful. I think London has changed in the last two or three years, shifted more towards niceness.

On my penultimate (I love that word) visit to London my wife and I were lost on the pavement somewhere in the city and we stopped a very distinguished looking gentlemen to ask directions. He was extremely polite and helpful. I thought to myself. Afterwards. Who was that person..now I'll never know.

.EDIT.

I remember with a smile everytime I think about it the humour of the staff at British Airways at their airport office here in Toronto. I was supposed to be checking for tax errors in airline coupons. Most of the time I couldn't stop laughing at their cockney humour. I was there for a week or so.That was one audit I loved to do. Remarks such as" Yes OK, you can go in there, but keep your hands off the first class booze." were typical. Another would be."He ate his passport* on the way over here, but our girl was too smart for him. She faxed us a cooy and we shipped him back." was another remark.

*He flushed it down the toilet.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Return to General discussion