Re: Tax Time

Postby Pondero » April 22nd, 2016, 6:47 pm

Congratulations :D :grin:
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 22nd, 2016, 8:26 pm

Serenjen wrote:We won :D :wave: :yahoo: :amen:

That is 100% excellent news 'jen!!! Well done.
Lyn

Postby Serenjen » April 25th, 2016, 10:48 pm

The process has been an eye-opener.

1. That it's assumed you're wrong and that you were deliberately wrong. The letters are worded in such a way that you start convincing yourself that you're wrong. Almost to the point of bullying you into it.

2. No average woman/man on the street could deal with this. Not that I am bigging myself up here, but see 1, Me NB was paralysed with fear. I had to go through his payslips and P60s and bank statements in great detail. Hours and hours of my time studying the figures.

3. They are really slow sending out letters. They date a letter, but then I think they send it to Antarctica and back because it arrives at least three weeks later. This should not be allowed. They should not be sitting on dated mail.

4. You always have to reply to their letter the very next day because it says "if we do not receive a reply by x, we will assume you agree with our findings"

5. You must snail-mail every bit of evidence at great expense. Every package weighs a tonne and must be there tomorrow meaning express email. Even though every other organisation has heard of email/drop boxing.

6. They do not listen. They are unwavering in the view that you are a theiving basstad who will get what's coming to them.

7. Finally when you've lost the will to live you'll get another letter dated three weeks ago telling you that they were slightly less right on this occasion. They will close the letter with a final threat which you don't understand. But they inform you the matter is now closed (but, er, what about the threat then? - but they won't answer that, because the matter is closed).

8. Another department has to sort out your refund of overpayment. They can't do that because they haven't been informed. They are presumably waiting for a letter in the post.

Still feels good though! It's not the money so much (not that we could pay this Penalty/interest combo) it's the being treated like a criminal that I'm annoyed with. It's the expectation they have of people to be able to prove their innocence. Gah.
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Pondero » April 25th, 2016, 11:19 pm

That is a sad commentary on the Inland Revenue, Serenjen.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 25th, 2016, 11:20 pm

I think it is wonderful news 'jen and you deserve a couple of these:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bottl ... Wy-kB2M%3A
Lyn

Postby different glory » April 26th, 2016, 3:46 am

Yes,indeed - wonderful news - congratulations! But what a horrible story till then of bullying and obfuscation and trying to wear you down - as you said, the ordinary person would have been totally crushed and cheated, deliberately, by their own government. :(
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Pondero » April 26th, 2016, 10:05 am

We very occasionally hear of such complaints about our tax service the CRA from tax lawyers engaged in practice of defending those accused of tax irregularities. That is very very rare. And when it does happen the lawyer is quick to point out that there are many good men and women working for the Canada Revenue Agency.
I would write to the head of that department, the very top - and complain to him or her about your experience Serenjen. I would not go the political route by complaining to your MP. These things are more effectively settled privately.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » April 26th, 2016, 11:13 am

Somewhat analagous to your experience Serenjen was my experience with the CRA, since being retired. They got it into their minds that my principal source of retirement income was from the purchase and sale of stocks on the Stock Exchange and I could not convince the CRA otherwise. Of course it wasn't true. They had me down as a trader and nothing would convince them otherwise.
I wrote to the DIrector at the very top and she wrote me a letter agreeing with me and apologising for any inconvenience. I was nobody on the hierarchy when I worked for them, I was just an ordinary field AU2 field auditor, and sometime union exec. So that wasn't the reason. I was listened to. They are good at the top.
My own experience is that when the general speaks everybody under them falls in line whether they like it or not. Such is the civil or public service.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Serenjen » May 17th, 2016, 9:41 pm

I'm now putting together our response document to save the school.

So it's North Yorkshire County council who are consulting to close it. I've been through all their published documents on schools. They mention a few times the rising population in the Harrogate area, and the need to meet future demand...
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Previous

Return to General discussion