Technical stuff

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Technical stuff

Postby Pondero » September 30th, 2016, 11:15 am

Yesterday, we got Bell Fibe or Fibre Optics or something Ma Bell sold my wife into buying a couple of days ago..It is to say the least complicated.What surprised me is that there is no explanatory book telling you how to work the new remote
The technician said that a new TV would show much better resolution than our old one, but added the one you have will last much longer than the new ones LED or something else(when questioned).That last remark surprised me. The technician ( the second one we had within four days) changed the four day old modem! And installed all new again gadgetry.

The technicians Bell has are very good, they know what they are doing and put furry slippers over their boots before entering the house. We are going to buy a new TV this weekend -that is tomorrow!

Oh. The second technician asked me more than once how many TV sets we had.I said One. He had only one too, but when questioned it transpired that he had been in one house to set up Bell Fibe which had ten TV sets.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Re: Technical stuff

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Well, I have said elsewhere how fed up I am with Canada's lack of regard for the Christian religion shown by its recent legislation on assisted suicide.And so I bury myself in some elementary math. For example, I calculated this morning that a plane leaving Madrid for Toronto at an air speed of 800 kms an hour, at an original bearing of 270 degrees met a tailwind from the south east of 50 kms an hour would have a new bearing of 265.78 degrees and an increased speed of 836.1kms an hour relative to the ground. You would get to Toronto faster.
(I will spare you the details but it uses the cosine formula and sine formula and a vector diagram, and my EC-4024 Radio Shack calculator)
I keep my sanity by doing these kind of calculations on occasion.I could solve crossword puzzles but I am not interested in them.

Unlike religion this is something that can be proved to be correct , or incorrect if you have made an error in your math.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Continuing on ,as the latitude and longitude of the cities of Madrid and Toronto are respectively, 40,4168 degrees N. 3.7038 degrees W. And 43.6532 degrees N. And 79.3832degrees W. I can calculate using the Great Circle Route formula I have discussed before and using my Sharp PC-1247 pocket computer on which I programmed that formula in basic , I find the distance between Madrid and Toronto is 3749.6 miles or 6033kms.
If the speed see previous post was 836.1 kms per hour (with tailwind from SE of 50 kms per hour) we should have arrived in Toronto in 7 hours and 13 minutes.
This is interesting because the scheduled time by Air Canada was 7 hours and 20 minutes.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I am doing these calculations because I am sat here in the TV room waiting for the camera man installer to reprogram things so I can use my four outside cameras again.You see the Bell technician gave us a new modum for Bell Fibe TV and Internet the other day. The technician said all the camera installer had to do was align the cameras with Bells IP address.
For which we promised the camera man $95 if he puts the ability to see the cameras back on this android and the computer.Seems like money for jam to me and it shouldn't take him long.
I bet Val could do the change in IP address thingamabob in ten minutes, but he lives in Ireland. :scratch:
Pondero

Postby Val » October 4th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Pondero wrote:I am doing these calculations because I am sat here in the TV room waiting for the camera man installer to reprogram things so I can use my four outside cameras again.You see the Bell technician gave us a new modum for Bell Fibe TV and Internet the other day. The technician said all the camera installer had to do was align the cameras with Bells IP address.
For which we promised the camera man $95 if he puts the ability to see the cameras back on this android and the computer.Seems like money for jam to me and it shouldn't take him long.
I bet Val could do the change in IP address thingamabob in ten minutes, but he lives in Ireland. :scratch:

Hi Leslie.

If the Bell techie installer chap changed the default IP address of your new fiber Broadband router/"modem" to what the old Lan IP structure was then your camera server would work without any changes, you've been ripped off to the tune of $95.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Val, the man hasn't arrived yet to fix anything.I don't understand this at all. The Bell technician changed us from Bell 551 to Bell310 and gave me a new password of 12 alpha numericals with which to get internet.
I have no doubt I will be ripped off after the camera man arrives and gets his $95, ( my wife bargained him down from$115 an hour last week) The Bell technician charges $79 an hour I have been told.

I give up :mrgreen:
Pondero

Postby Val » October 4th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Pondero wrote:Val, the man hasn't arrived yet to fix anything.I don't understand this at all. The Bell technician changed us from Bell 551 to Bell310 and gave me a new password of 12 alpha numericals with which to get internet.
I have no doubt I will be ripped off after the camera man arrives and gets his $95, ( my wife bargained him down from$115 an hour last week) The Bell technician charges $79 an hour I have been told.

I give up :mrgreen:

The internal or LAN IP address can be changed to anything you wish to suit your existing network at no cost, no need for camera server to be changed, broadband routers usually arrive with a default IP address of 192.168.1.254, but this is usually changed to suit your network unless your IT providers are dodgy, I cannot find any record of a Bell 310 router are you sure? check it again, I think it is a Belkin 310
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2016, 2:54 pm

The man will be here at 2:30 pm today he told us by phone and I should be back here from my doctors appointment at that time.
When I look at wifi belonging to others on our street, they have names as wifi acdresses, our is Bell 310 connected.

Good to chat with you Val
Pondero

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2016, 8:50 pm

The camera man arrived and with the help of a security man who he spoke to from something attached to his ear he had to remodel the instructions for the camera as the old programme had been destroyed when Bell introduced Bell Fibe. Unknown to me we have Bell's latest state of the art system, the most modern they have, which I was told was more advanced than that of their prime competitor.It is the best.
Everything works well at present.
We have to tell the Android that we are either Home or not at Home in order for it to work. I said, I didn't have to do that when I was in Spain, I could see from all four cameras .He was surprised :scratch:
Pondero

Postby Pondero » April 9th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Have you ever wondered how many years it would it take to double your money? I am assuming your principal sum is compounded annually in order for this formula to work. I am no genius or expert but I did discover this formula quite accidentally while doing some calculations and I haven't found it in any text book.It is probably there, but I haven't found it.

If you invest any principal amount at 5% it will take 14.20669908 years to double your money. Watch this: ln 2 divided by ln 1.05 =
14.20669908 years. "ln"" mean natural log . Now if you have a calculator you don't have to know anything else about it.
You simply press ln and then 2 and divide by ln 1.05. (You must remember that 5% = .05 and that you have to insert a 1 before it to represent the principal.) Otherwise it won't work.
For example : how many years would it take to double your money ( any sum) if you compounded it at 10% per annum. Answer 7.275 years.
Moving right along: the other day I was at the bank and they were giving me 1.5% over 18 months (simple interest in this case ) on the $50,000 we invested some time ago. I was an absolute idiot to accept it I should have put it into Canadian bank stocks but didn't because I was apprehensive about having enough money for urgent needs in case I had a financial problem - I didn't has it happened.

Now imagine how long it would take to double your money at an annual compounding rate of 1.5% ( forget the complexity of it not being offered or that they offered it as simple interest over 18 months which complicates matters as they really gave us 12/18th of 1.5% which is .06666.% per year ) what a bank !

Now it takes over 46 years to double your money if compounded annually at 1.5%. (46.55552563 years to be more exact
(ln2 /ln1.015 = 46.55552563 years)

EDIT.
To check that 46.5552653 is the doubling time if $1 is invested at a1.5% interest rate compounded annually.
Do this:
On your calculator enter 1.015 to the power of 46.55552563 and you should get 2 or $2.
Enter 1.015 ,then press the y to x key on your calculator and enter the power of 46.55552563 and the answer should be 2.That is the proof of the doubling theory of ln2/ln1.015. And so it is :yahoo:
Last edited by Pondero on April 9th, 2017, 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pondero

Next

Return to General discussion