Technical stuff

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Technical stuff

Postby Pondero » April 9th, 2017, 7:24 pm

In Canada when you owe money (and I don't) but my kids do in the form of mortgages , the banks compound the annual interest rate semi annually on their repayment schedule . They get paid faster this way and you gain because you get rid of your mortgage sooner. In fact our banks require payment biweekly, that is not quite in your favor , but at least you get rid of the debt sooner.

If the bank you have was willing to compound your interest on your principal ( investment) more than once a year , (semi annually) the same as they do when the boot is on the other foot and you owe them money you would double your money sooner. - but they are never going to let you do that.
Now you know why I invest in bank stocks!
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » May 8th, 2017, 7:46 pm

In my effort to remain in touch with the modern world I have got rid of a perfectly good analogue phone for a Panasonic cordless digital one, plus two more of the same kind with only one connected to the base station.I set it up and tested it and I can and have received messages and spoken to others too, and my daughter left me a message as a test. I have left a message saying there is no one here to take your call ,please call again later. My mixed Canadian/Yorkshire accent is ,to me, a delight to hear! :grin:
I set up the date and time but it doesn't show so I must have done it all wrong, which is not surprising seeing the instructions are badly written.
What worried me was the 1.6 GHz * microwave transmission (dangerous if on full power all the time ) not to worry because I have eco
Which reduces power when two handsets are close and increases power when far away in the house.
Anyway it works and I will try once more to set date and time.

EDIT.

*That should read 1.92-3 GHz, of frequency and a transmission power of 115mW ( max) Now I feel like sending it back for being too dangerous because of the frequency , not the power. Of course it may not be dangerous and my brains may not be fried!! The answer to that -no-one knows , in the same manner that they don't know the dangers of cell phones .
Note : this phone is a house line phone not a cell phone.It was hard wired by Bell Tell about 44 years ago.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Pondero

Postby Val » May 15th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Pondero wrote:In my effort to remain in touch with the modern world I have got rid of a perfectly good analogue phone for a Panasonic cordless digital one, plus two more of the same kind with only one connected to the base station.I set it up and tested it and I can and have received messages and spoken to others too, and my daughter left me a message as a test. I have left a message saying there is no one here to take your call ,please call again later. My mixed Canadian/Yorkshire accent is ,to me, a delight to hear! :grin:
I set up the date and time but it doesn't show so I must have done it all wrong, which is not surprising seeing the instructions are badly written.
What worried me was the 1.6 GHz * microwave transmission (dangerous if on full power all the time ) not to worry because I have eco
Which reduces power when two handsets are close and increases power when far away in the house.
Anyway it works and I will try once more to set date and time.

EDIT.

*That should read 1.92-3 GHz, of frequency and a transmission power of 115mW ( max) Now I feel like sending it back for being too dangerous because of the frequency , not the power. Of course it may not be dangerous and my brains may not be fried!! The answer to that -no-one knows , in the same manner that they don't know the dangers of cell phones .
Note : this phone is a house line phone not a cell phone.It was hard wired by Bell Tell about 44 years ago.

You really should not have any problems with your phone.it most likely transmits on 2.4GHz just like your smart watch, remote control devices, bluetooth devices, garage door opener, wireless doorbells, your car central locking system and a myriad of other systems on the free 2.4ish frequencies, so you are constantly bombarded with these fekkin microwaves and then your microwave oven transmits around 2.48GHz frequency, anyway about your concerns

Your phone emits 115miliwatt max.

so, 1 Milliwatt = 0.001, 1000 mW = 1 Watt, 745.7 Watts = 1 Horsepower, so your 115 Miliwatts phone output is on par with a one balled, one legged gnat towing a two pound dead fish up a steep hill whilst under the influence of strong alcohol.
in other words your brain is safe from radiation of that frequency/power, remember that power is directly proportional to frequency.
I think!, anyways I am drinking wine so what do I know
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Pondero » May 16th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Zz
Last edited by Pondero on May 17th, 2017, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » May 17th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Val wrote:
So your 115 Miliwatts phone output is on par with a one balled, one legged gnat towing a two pound dead fish up a steep hill whilst under the influence of strong alcohol.
in other words your brain is safe from radiation of that frequency/power, remember that power is directly proportional to frequency.
I think!, anyways I am drinking wine so what do I know

Very funny Val.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 16th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Well, I have a TI-55-11 calculator.

http://www.datamath.org/Sci/Slanted/TI-55-II.htm

And it needs a battery which I will get today.(Wallmarts should have one).
Radio and electronics has fascinated me since I started work as a tax auditor and now winter being around the corner I am interested again. I tried a battery operated a.m. radio I assembled years ago and it works perfectly. The 8 ohm loudspeaker and tuned radio frequency with a MK484 chip and four transistors plus assorted capacitors :D , resistors and diodes do the trick. I have something to keep me happy now, until Christmas :hello:

I have a reference guide, dated 1981 in French and English for this calculator. It does integration Sdx.too, amazing for this museum piece.All in excellent condition.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 23rd, 2017, 10:38 am

Greetings fellow earthlngs , if I can keep my eyes open this morning.Where is that cup of coffee when you need it?
Yesterday I got a Micronta transistor tester working, after years of inactivity.It was lying there with a dead C battery for years.
Now it works.I tested a couple of transistors yesterday, they still amplify , they a hfe, which is current gain , collector current output, divided by base current. I can tell nothing else except that these transistors I have , along with assorted electronic projects , kept in a chest of drawers ( in the basement) for years still work. Yippee!
Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 23rd, 2017, 5:39 pm

Today, I purchased for a low price a hobby kit, no soldering (suitable for 8 or above in age) a FM radio. It would be a regenerative type not a superhetorodyne radio. It is a rare design,only found in hobbyist kit radios.
It does not come with a speaker and the hearing device was missing. I found one suitable on my crystal radio set. For less than $20 Inc tax - whose complaining. I could go back to the shop and insist on getting an ear phone , but I know what happens in practice someone helps themselves to one for another project. And as I know the man when he had a store on Dundas St.west East of Islington I am not going to bother.in fact I mentioned that to him today and he flatteringly replied "You must have been a teenager then.?" I told him I was 84, I forget what his reply was, but I have been buying from him since about 1980.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » November 23rd, 2017, 5:48 pm

When I was 11 or 12 or thereabouts, I got for Christmas a kit for making a crystal set. I followed the instructions, and was amazed and dead chuffed when it actually worked. I listened to "Pick of the Year", the New Year version of the weekly "Pick of the Week" programme on the Home Service (as Radio 4 was called then) on it.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » December 4th, 2017, 1:48 am

I suppose mathematics comes under this heading.
What is the area of the surface formed by revolving an arc of the cubical parabola X cubed equals 4y about the X axis between X = 0 and X = 2?
The book gives the answer , and the formula of course , as 14.25 square units.
The book took half a page to write the formula and plug in the numbers and get an answer.
I have a Sharp Writeview calculator that does integral calculus, so I plugged in the numbers to see what I would get and to see how long it would take the calculator of this 'hairy' monster of a formula to get an answer.
I had a few false starts giving wrong answers because I didn't make it clear .I had to bracket parts of the formula to make it clear to the calculator costing less than $30 , what I wanted.
The calculator said 'busy' on the screen and took 45 seconds to produce 14.25248742.!
I was amazed !
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion