International Women's Day

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

International Women's Day

Postby GregB » March 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Let's pause for a while on this occasion and reflect on the miserable treatment handed out to women over the ages and, which in many parts of the world continues today, not to mention the abuse meted out to women within our own 'advanced' societies by husbands, steeped in their own ignorance and innate mysogyny.

As a tribute on this day, a short piano work by Fanny Mendelssohn, sister of the composer Felix Mendelssohn, but largely unrecognised in general (though that is gradually changing now.) There have been many fine women composers and artists in other fields who have undeservedly been sidelined and overlooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti1eZ2B63Ro
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Re: International Women's Day

Postby Pondero » March 8th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I will not celebrate Women's Day, as it is simply a means to promote contraception and abortion as women's rights.Trudeau our so called Catholic Prime Minister has pledged over half a mlllion dollars to women's groups, and he specifically mentioned contraception in his speech this morning. It is a disgrace to Canadians in general , 39% of whom are Catholic that this popinjay leads our country.
Last edited by Pondero on March 8th, 2017, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 8th, 2017, 8:30 pm

You are funny, Pondy.

You cannot see there is more to it than family planning but you home in on that tiny section.

There's no need for an International Men's Day but if there was, I daresay men would be glad of family planning too.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 8th, 2017, 8:50 pm

:
Lyn wrote:You are funny, Pondy.

You cannot see there is more to it than family planning but you home in on that tiny section.

There's no need for an International Men's Day but if there was, I daresay men would be glad of family planning too.

I don't think it is ridiculous at all, Trudeau pledged in his own words 650 million dollars to ",reproductive rights". We don't need a modern dictionary to know that reproductive rights means contraception and abortion.
"Gender equality" has been mentioned by Trudeau's wife, we may need a translation for that phrase, but even if vague and ambiguous as it seems to be it is nothing good.
I would like to know which country, or group is receiving 650 million, and over what period of time, as Trudeau failed to mention it. That money could be better spent.
As for his misguided understanding of what it means to be a Catholic, he refuses to think .
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 8th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Trudeau is well thought of over here.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 8th, 2017, 11:40 pm

The CLC National News , campaign coalition Canada , newsheet came by mail today and yes Trudeau is being criticized for joining an initiative of the Dutch Minister of foreign trade and development, Lilianne Ploumen, to launch the abortion fund ( this is to cover the gap in abortion funding overseas since Trump stopped funding Planned Parenthood).
Quite rightly so, the criticism of Trudeau is justified ,Our money is going overseas to fund abortion, Belgium , Denmark and Canada are enthusiastic about this evil emanating from Holland and from Trudeau. I don't see Great Britain ready to join in this abortion fund!
This is costing us Canadian taxpayers $650 million.
Trudeau hasn't heard the last of this.
Unless I am medically disabled I will join the thousands in the Ottawa March for Life Parade on May 11th ,as my wife and I did last year.

EDIT.
I am encouraged to write about this abortion funding complaining about it to my MP.
What a joke, my MP never replies to letters no matter how politely they are written. We need not only a march in Ottawa but a strike of major proportions of health service workers to get our message across. (Hospitals would remain open).

At the provincial level many people (including the wife and I and my daughter ,) who attended Masses at Our Lady of Sorrows Church signed letters to their MPP asking for conscience rights for doctor who refuse to do euthanasia. Other churches did the same thing,
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 3:50 am

Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 11:08 am

Lyn wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-gives-new-funding-for-international-reproductive-health-program/article29049945/

The fact that the Globe and Mail did not mention the 650 million given for "reproductive health " does not make it untrue. It is true and the only fact I can add to it is the spreading of Canada's gift over a period of three years.Page A6 of this mornings National Post, which I have on my kitchen table writes: Trudeau unveils $650M for women's health overseas.

Something else should be pointed out from the Globe and Mail article is that it is not mentioned that Mr.Harper would not fund overseas abortion.
The Globe and Mail is a newspaper which is Pro abortion , and appeals like the British Guardian, and Washington Post to the so called intellectual left.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 11:20 am

You are not biased of course.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 11:23 am

I have just come across another story from the Globe and Mail which mentions the $650M.
Pondero

Next

Return to General discussion